The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 7, 2013, 08:46 AM   #1
wllfthn

Help!!

Hey guys.

I'm in the market for a rifle. Was wondering if you guys could give me your opinions on two guns that I've narrowed it down to.. Which do you recommend and why? Please also take into consideration the prices. Thanks!

As far as why I want this/what I want it for.. I'm an avid shooter and have never delved into the rifle world. This will be my first rifle, looking for something "entry level" but also reliable. I want it mainly because I recently shot a friend of mine's rifle and really enjoyed it. Also, this completes my SHTF personal arsenal.

1) Sig Sauer M400 Enhanced Black Magpul 16" 5.56 -- $1,499.00
Operating System: Direct Impingement
Caliber: .223 Rem / 5.56x45mm
Safety: Manual Safety
Sights: Folding Rear Sight, Fixed A2 Front Sight
Barrel: 16” Chrome-Lined and Phosphate Coated Barrel
Overall length: 35.6"
Weight: 6.7 lbs (Without magazine)
Receiver: 7075-T6 Aircraft Grade Aluminum Forged Lower Receiver
Stock: Black Magpul CTR Collapsable Stock
Forend: Black Polymer Magpul MOE Forend
Mag capacity: 30 rounds

2) Spikes Tactical AR15 M4 Complete Rifle Magpul 556 -- $1,600.00
New Spikes Tactical built complete rife.
Chambered in .556 shoots 223
Mid length gas system,
all magpul furniture,
spider lower,
ambi safety,
chambered in .556,
flat top,
single stage trigger,
billet trigger guard,
1 in 7 twist FN barrel,
magpul rear sight
Old March 7, 2013, 09:23 AM   #2
BillyJack3

You found a new, complete Spike's somewhere? They are back ordered for the next year or so. Nice find and a great AR.

I'd go with the Spike's without thinking twice. Nothing wrong with the Sig either. Also, it looks like you found one with a mid length gas system. I have a carbine (M&P) and a middie (Spike's upper) and it combined with the Spike's ST-T2 buffer and Full Auto carrier make it one of the smoothest AR's I've shot. It also has the Dynacomp brake on it and that also helps. Spike's service is outstanding and they really stand by their products.
Old March 7, 2013, 09:32 AM   #3
DubC-Hicks

Definitely get the Spike's. I loved my M4LE. I've read a little about the Sig, and they seem decent, but nowhere near as good as Spike's.
Old March 8, 2013, 02:53 PM   #4
Fishbed77

My Spikes M4LE carbine (with 9" BAR rail) is a fantastic rifle. Superbly finished and 100% reliable. I would put Spikes up against the best from Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, etc.

But $1600? Whoa! When I got mine less than 2 years ago, it was well under $1000.
Old March 14, 2013, 08:08 PM   #5
damo450

I had an M400 carbine length and a spikes Mid length at the same time. I still have the spikes. Really zero difference in the two rifles. I can promise you that you will never know the $200 difference in the rifles. Unless those spider logos are worth that much to you. Both great rifles though. I kept my spikes because I prefer mid length guns.

Damo
Old March 14, 2013, 10:46 PM   #6
Fishbed77

Quote:
I can promise you that you will never know the $200 difference in the rifles
Only $101 difference between the 2 rifles the OP named. Both are still about $500 overpriced.