The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2009, 08:23 PM   #1
Qtiphky

M1 Carbine Question

I just loaded up some rounds for my M1 Carbine. The recipe calls for small rifle primers. I have used this load several times and works wonderfully. A lot of people are using small rifle primers in pistols, however my question is , can I use small pistol primers instead of small rifle primers? I have lots of small pistol but not many small rifle. I would like to save the rifle primers for true rifle rounds.

The 30 carbine is a straight walled (slight taper crimp) round similar to a 9 or 40 or 45.

Thoughts?
Old April 15, 2009, 08:33 PM   #2
wncchester

"can I use small pistol primers instead of small rifle primers?"

You sure can. I won't.

Who knows, it MAY not pierce either, depending on the chamber pressure you load to. But, primers ARE specified for rifle and pistol for a reason.
Old April 15, 2009, 08:45 PM   #3
hodaka

I once owned a pistol in 30 Carbine. I now own a rifle in .357 Magnum as well as one in .45 Colt. I imagine you could get away with loading the 30 carbine with pistol primers without a problem but I would only do so in a severe pinch. The pistol vs. rifle doesn't matter as much as the difference in pressure.
Old April 15, 2009, 09:10 PM   #4
Sevens

This is one of those deals where you probably could do it and get away with it... but you really shouldn't.

There's two things that matter in the switch between pistol and rifle primers.

First thing is that the rifle primers give a hotter, longer burn than a pistol primer. If everything else in your load were equal, you'd have a wimpier primer in there getting things rolling. Probably wouldn't make a heap of difference in a small case such as the .30 Carbine... but that would depend on what powder you are using.

The other big difference between the primers is the cup thickness. Rifle primers have a thicker cup for the purpose of holding that pressure in. The .30 Carbine round runs at about 40,000 PSI. A little less than most modern rifle rounds, but hotter than most all pistol rounds.

The rifle is expecting the hard cup thickness of a rifle primer. So it's going to get whacked by the firing pin heavily, as it should. A pistol primer cup is thinner, so not only will be it trying to keep 40,000 PSI inside the case, that will happen after it's been whacked with a firing pin made to detonate a rifle primer.

You won't get a lot of folks that would sign off on this. It's not a very good idea.
Old April 16, 2009, 06:50 AM   #5
Qtiphky

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't think it would work but just thought I would ask because I haven't seen this answer before. Guess I'll have to wait until I can find some SR primers for the next batch.
Old April 17, 2009, 09:27 AM   #6
lcc123

You would run a much higher risk of a slam fire because the pistol primer is more sensitive. The Carbine has design features to prevent the floating firing pin from striking the primer before the bolt closes, but I would not want to press my luck. I have not checked on a Carbine, but I have seen light primer strikes on chambered (not yet fired) rounds on other similar gas guns with floating firing pins.
Old April 17, 2009, 09:33 AM   #7
Sevens

Only 3 posts to TFL -- and this one is a great one and I can't believe someone didn't address that before you did, because it's an obvious one.

lcc123, welcome!