The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 8, 2010, 10:49 AM   #1
stump shooter

Die storage - Rust preventatives?

What do most of you use to protect your dies when they're stored for any length of time?

I have sprayed my dies and Wilson equip with Marvels and it seems to work, but it leaves a lot of residue in the boxes.
Old January 8, 2010, 10:56 AM   #2
Sam06

Midway sells these little pieces of cardboard like chips with a chemical on it that prevents rust. I will look for a link and post it. It has worked for me.

Here it is:

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#154..._1-2-4_8-16-32

They are made by Tipton and the number is 154282 if the link does not work. The things are about 1/2" square and they come 50 in the pack for 8 bucks. They do work.

Last edited by Sam06; January 8, 2010 at 10:59 AM. Reason: add link
Old January 8, 2010, 11:14 AM   #3
brickeyee

The midway chips treated with a vapor phase inhibitor work very well.

Just remember to replace them with new ones every few years (and not ones that are left over from the initial order either).
Old January 8, 2010, 11:29 AM   #4
stump shooter

Well, son of a...

I wondered what the heck those little squares were that came with the dies...like an idiot I just pitched them

Thanks for the info!
Old January 8, 2010, 11:33 AM   #5
Sam06

Don't feel bad I chunked them out too
Old January 8, 2010, 11:35 AM   #6
mrawesome22

I spray mine with RemOil.
Old January 8, 2010, 11:53 AM   #7
Christchild

I too, spray them with RemOil, inside and out, and if I have a little extra time, I'll let the excess drip off, then box them up with that residue still on.

Thank You for posting the link to the chips. I know what the chips are for that come with the dies, but I had NO idea You could buy them. Thank You, Sir!
Old January 8, 2010, 04:03 PM   #8
NCMountain

I have heard this stuff works......

Kano Kroil Penetrating Oil and Bore Cleaning Solvent.............good for guns and dies?????
Old January 8, 2010, 09:17 PM   #9
wncchester

I put a bottle of Automatic Transmission Fluid in a Windex spray bottle and protect everything with it, guns, tools, dies, table saw, drill press, etc. Cheap, good film strenght and protects from normal humidity for at least a year, much longer if it's not bad damp.

Oily residue in the boxes is about what you get, nothing will stay on the dies and not get on the container.

Kroil is a great penetrating oil, not good as a long term rust protector tho. Neither is WD-40.
Old January 8, 2010, 09:48 PM   #10
Tex S

I can't seem to keep the rust off of my Lee dies sets. On the other hand, I guess I have never really tried to either. A little surface rust never hurt any of my dies. I'm sure I could keep them rust free, but I lack the patience to clean dies after each use.
Old January 8, 2010, 11:01 PM   #11
mrawesome22

I imagine wearing latex gloves would help dies from rusting by keeping your salts off them?
Old January 9, 2010, 12:30 AM   #12
dmickey

An old machinist trick is to place a piece of camphor in the box with the dies. Works like a charm!
Old January 9, 2010, 01:41 PM   #13
Unclenick
Staff

Same principle as the chips of paper.

TexS,

Lee doesn't spend as much money on exterior finish detail as others. It saves cost and helps keep them affordable, but does leave them more vulnerable to surface rust. If it bothers you, and assuming you don't own a buffer, get one of those cheap cloth buffing wheels that Lowe's or Home Depot or even Harbor Freight has to go on a drill, and polish their exterior. The Dico Stainless Steel grade buffing compound works exceptionally well with hardened carbon steel. It was available at Harbor Freight, too, the last time I looked. That's how Japanese swords resist rust, plus they apply an oil that contains oil of cloves, from the smell. Cloves, like camphor, may be another vapor phase inhibitor?

I use LPS-3 for items being stored for a time. It has a carrier that dries off and leaves a waxy coating with a rust inhibitor that smells like Birchwood Casey, Sheath. You can buy it in one quart squirt bottles for a lot less than aerosols, though, and it is nominally for 2 year protection, but lasts longer, IME. I have some stuff over a decade old that it is still successfully protecting. It does need to be removed with mineral spirits before using again. It's one of those chores a small motorized part washer is helpful for.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle