The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 22, 2011, 01:45 PM   #1
Steven_Seagal

GP100 Night Sight Installation...help please!

I recently bought some Meprolight Night Sights for my GP100 Stainless because the factory sights are just awful.

Trying to install them has been a pain - the front sight is too big and needs to be filed down or exchanged for a smaller one - both of which are things that I don't wanna deal with.

The rear sight will work fine, but I have no idea how to get that rear roll pin out nor do I have the means of doing so.

I don't want to have to pay a gunsmith to do this, out of principle more than anything, so I was hoping someone here could tell me how to get that pin out and how to file down that front sight ramp so I can get these things in there.

Thanks in Advance
Old February 22, 2011, 06:42 PM   #2
Wasper

To remove the rear sight, hold the rear sight blade down with your thumb and unscrew the elevation screw all the way. Ease the sight up to release spring tension. Push the sight pivot pin out with a pin punch. Lift the sight off. There will be two springs under the sight.

I personally would call MeproLight about the front sight since it shouldn't need to be fitted unless advertised as such.
Old February 23, 2011, 10:06 AM   #3
Steven_Seagal

wasper,

Thanks alot for the advice - I will try that when I get home.

where do I find a pin punch? can that be purchased at a hardware store?
Old February 23, 2011, 01:44 PM   #4
The Great Mahoo

I've been happy with Meprolight; I put a front sight on my Sp101 and had little difficulty in doing so. Mine sat a smidge high (actually rocked a little in place), but it was due to the roll-pin. Apparently mine had been bent up in removal. I ordered a replacement pin and now everything sits flush and looks great.

Quote:
where do I find a pin punch? can that be purchased at a hardware store?
Yep, most any hardware store should carry them in a number of sizes. I'm guessing you need a 1/16" pin; that's what I used on my Sp101 and my S&W 625MG.

Word of caution, though, don't buy the cheapest one you can. I picked up one for $5.99 at a local shop that worked great, but then I snapped it off when I wedged it a little too tightly. I replaced it with a Stanely punch from Lowes for about $3 and found it was actually too large to fit in the hole. It took me a while of sanding it down to get it to fit, since it was probably closer to 3/32" or larger. Not a terrible ordeal, but frustrating to find that the special trip I made didn't yeild what I wanted. Fortunately I just sanded away a little while watching TV till I had what I needed and was good to go. Atleast the Stanley is a stronger punch and I doubt I'll have to worry about it snapping, too.
Old February 23, 2011, 01:52 PM   #5
Pahoo

Steven,
Might I ask where you bought your Mepro? I've been thinking about getting a set for my GP. I thank you ....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 23, 2011, 08:30 PM   #6
thisisdenny

I ordered a set from midway last week:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=739724

ETA: got them today and the rear sight dropped right in. Front sight needed a lot of fitting but now that it's in, they look nice. Need to head to the range and get sighted in.

Last edited by thisisdenny; February 24, 2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old February 26, 2011, 04:00 PM   #7
Pahoo

Denny,
I surely thank you for the reply and they are now on my wish-list. Just waiting for a coupon. .....

Oh yes, welcome to "The-Line" ......

Be Safe !!!