The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 1, 2009, 07:48 PM   #1
rburch

Lee Pro 1000

Just got a used Lee Pro 1000. with a 223 shellplate.

I realize a progressive isn't the best option for a beginner, but I figured for the price it was worth it.

It has everything but the dies and shell plates. I'm planning on starting with 9mm, and my brother is gonna do 45

All together it looks like we'll have a full set of gear for 9mm & 45 for about $125

We'll eventually get into 357, 38, 30/30, 3006, & 223

Is there anything I need to know about this press? I don't plan on using it as a progressive yet, just load 1 case at a time till I get the hang of the system.

Also, did I make a good choice?
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old March 2, 2009, 05:04 AM   #2
RickV

There are lots of threads on here with info on the Pro 1000. I use one, key is take your time. The biggest problem i had at first was feeling the primer go in, after a while you develope a feel for it. There are some help videos on Lee's website that explain how to correctly set the dies and stuff like that.

This is a very good site for info on the Pro 1000
http://www.geocities.com/leereloading/leepro1000.htm
Old March 2, 2009, 08:52 AM   #3
farmall

Rburch, you dod just fine. I have 3 of these and get along alright. I must admit, never used one in 223 though, pistol calibers only.

You will find that most of the failures are operator induced. Dont force it and you'll be fine. There is just a certain ammount of Zen required to run one successfully. You must become ONE with it.

Do a search here, and you will find many helpful tips.
Andy
Old March 2, 2009, 11:51 AM   #4
Scorch

Congratulations on your press. If you take the time to get familiar with it, it will work fine for you. Some tips:
* Make sure the primer slide is clean, use a cotton-tip swab to clean it out.
* If you spill powder into the priming area, stop and clean it out or it will cause problems.
* Set up your dies one at a time, then with all the stations full, it will help you avoid headaches.
* You will not be able to reload 30-30 or 30-06 on your Pro1000, it is not big enough.
Old March 2, 2009, 02:53 PM   #5
McClintock

I agree, you did just fine. I use a Pro 1000 to load 9mm, and so far it has worked quite well, loaded about 2000 rounds through it so far (in the last 4 months), both with FMJ and cast lead bullets.

+1 to all the other posters, there is indeed a certain level of Zen you must achieve to work with the Pro 1000. Keep it clean, keep the primer tray full and the primer chute clean (you won't be able to load the last 10-15 primers in the chute without some manual coaxing, I just re-fill the primer tray), and don't ham-fist it, and it should make good quality ammo for you for years.

Be prepared to mess up the odd case or two when you're first starting out, I made quite a few dummy rounds until I got the hang of feeling the primer seat correctly.

Be safe, and Happy Loading!
Old March 2, 2009, 03:19 PM   #6
rburch

Thanks for all the advise, and links guys.

What's a good powder to run in the press? For handguns I mean, 9mm, 45, 357/38.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old March 2, 2009, 03:30 PM   #7
ilbob

I use mine for 38 spl. works quite well.

as others have mentioned keeping the primer slide clean is a big key to keeping it working right.

I only use bullseye.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old March 2, 2009, 05:33 PM   #8
aerod1

It is a good press for handgun rounds. Enjoy!!
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old March 2, 2009, 06:38 PM   #9
RickV

Quote:
Thanks for all the advise, and links guys.

What's a good powder to run in the press? For handguns I mean, 9mm, 45, 357/38.
I use both W231 and Titegroup. Have good results with both. One thing to remember the auto disk meters best with ball type powders such as W231 and Titegroup.
Old March 2, 2009, 07:50 PM   #10
The_Vigilante

Lee Pro 1000

Also check out the following: http://forums.loadmastervideos.com/f...52364a93222844.
Old March 2, 2009, 08:15 PM   #11
McClintock

Powders

I've used Longshot and 231 in 9mm loads, both with good results.
Old March 2, 2009, 08:21 PM   #12
ForneyRider

I've used W231, Power Pistol and H110 with Pro 1000. H110 is magnum powder. W231 is general purpose and target loads, and Power Pistol is for higher pressure pistol loads like 9mm or 45ACP +P.

Varget and R15 worked okay, not great in the Auto Disk. I've never used 748 or H335, but those may meter better for the .223 loads. AA2230 works pretty good for smaller bullets.

For progressives, Keep it clean, keep it lubed, keep it adjusted and keep it full.
Old March 2, 2009, 09:10 PM   #13
Inspector3711

I use HS-6 in mine for .40 S&W with really good repeatability. My loads come out .1 grain below what the chart shows them at and I have yet to check a load that varies from that.

I just got my press last month but have been reloading with a single stage for around a year and a half. A few pointers...

If something goes wrong, try to remember which way the handle was moving when you stop. Completing the travel of the handle up or down is key.

Get some dry graphite. Use it on the finished bullet chute, the primer chute (very light sprinkle), and on the block that the shells slide across on their way into the shell plate. Use some fine steel wool to smooth out the finished bullet chute and that block before sprinkling some graphite on em'.

Take the ball chain with you to the hardware store and get a nickel plated ball chain the same size. The one that came with mine broke in the first 200 rounds. It's a $1 fix.

The spent primers fall into a channel in the lower casting on the press. Drill a 1/2" hole in your bench under that channel, put a bucket under it on the floor.

I bought the case collator and it works like a champ. If you get one, look on google video for the mod that's used for 9mm cases. It won't work right without the mod.

One more thing... Use a dryer sheet and wipe all the parts of the powder measure with it. This will alleviate static problems. Also I use a little graphite on the powder disk to make it slide easier.

Have fun... If you get frustrated just walk away for awhile. The key is all the way down with the handle followed by all the way up. It seems simple but you'll get side tracked at first. I loaded 100 rounds the first day and walked away in frustration. I came back a week later and did 200 in 3 hours or so and got frustrated again. Three days later I tried again and was pumping out 200 rounds per hour. I need to make more money so I can buy bullets and primers for my newest addiction!
Old March 7, 2009, 05:07 PM   #14
Ricklin

Pro 1000

My brother gave me his Lee 1000, he does not have the patience I have

Best comment in the thread is the zen be one with the machine.

Primer system made me nuts for a few hours I finally have it tuned up and running. It will spit out the rounds!

I started with loading 9mm with Blue dot, cuz it's so bulky you can not overcharge a case. Well not and be able to seat a bullet to correct OAL

It took quite a while to get it all sorted out and converted to 9mm still need a couple of parts from Lee but I'm getting by.

Sure beats a single stage for pistol ammo