The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 5, 2009, 11:55 PM   #1
ForneyRider

7mm mag low velocity

I made some 162gr Interlocks with 68gr R25 which my load data gave ~3000fps.
This was a max load in one of my resources, but 70gr was a max in another source.

When I tested these loads, I was getting 2750fps average for 3 shots.

My barrel is 26in 1:9.5 twist barrel. The velocities of these loads are pretty far off what my other loads are.

I am wondering if the neck-sizing and bullet depth are affecting the pressure/velocity. I don't remember my OAL, but I tend to set it out to magazine length.

I have been pretty disciplined about working my loads up. I am thinking of incrementing in .5 gr to 70 and see how things go.
Old March 6, 2009, 01:33 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I ran that load in QuickLOAD and got a prediction of just over 3000 fps from a 26" barrel. I've seen a chronograph read off by 200 fps before. You might borrow a buddy's unit and see if it gives the same reading? Case capacity and COL do matter, too, but it's hard to get 250 fps worth of difference.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 6, 2009, 10:09 AM   #3
SL1

IF the throat of his rifle barrel has eroded a lot, he might have lost 200 fps from the factory-new configuration.

How old is the gun and how long ago (in rounds fired) did you get chrono reasdings that were consistent with the same data source?

SL1
Old March 6, 2009, 12:01 PM   #4
Horseman

For some reason 7mmRemMag loadings have been lowered more than other calibers in recent years. I've heard some shooters talking about 7mmRM loads from 30years ago and they are WAYYY over max according to modern manuals.