Old November 15, 2012, 09:57 AM   #1
Moby

Thumler's Tumbler Model B Rotary Tumbler

Tumbler

http://www.cabelas.com/tumblers-scal...umbler-1.shtml

Stainless Steel Media

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1906963...Types&var=sbar

Howdy fella's,
As I'm new to reloading I want to get good equipment one time rather than replacing mid range equipment. To that end I need advice on tumblers and media.

I read that tumble like the one in the link are better than vibratory tumbles. Mechanically it makes sense. I also am learning about SS media. The combination of these two products seems to produce fabulous results. I'm a stickler for meticulously clean brass as I figure if I'm going to get into reloading the first thing is clean, then attention to specs.

Can anyone tell me if SS media wears on brass? What are your thoughts on the tumbler in the link?
“A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” ~George Washington
US Coast Guard 76-86 Semper Paratus
Old November 16, 2012, 02:24 AM   #2
Scorch

Many moons ago, I used to use a Thumler's tumbler with ceramic beads for polishing brass. Too slow. It would take about 2 hours to polish a batch of brass and they were hazy at best, my Lyman Turbo takes about 30 minutes and they are shiny!
Old November 16, 2012, 07:28 PM   #3
Guilty

I have a Thumler's Tumbler Model B Rotary Tumbler and it is fantastic. There is no dust floating around your work area like you get with corn cob media type brass cleaners.

I deprime as a 1st step using a Lee breech lock hand press with Lee Universal Decapping and Depriming Die...I know that depriming 1st is an extra step and I dont care because the end result is exceptionally clean brass inside an out including a very clean primer pocket and flash hole.

The 2nd step I use is to tumble and clean the brass. The SS media does not leave any visable wear or scrathes on the brass, in fact the brass is so clean that any early stress signs on the brass is easily visable. Occasionally, a couple of the SS media will get wedged in the flash hole, but it only takes a couple seconds to dislodge them.

After tumbling, I dry the brass in my Excalibur dehydrator, although any dehydrator will work fine. Some people dry the brass in their oven or over the fireplace, whatever works for you.

Buy once, cry once and make sure that you buy the high speed version, cost is around $179.00. I bought mine from buffaloarms.com along with the media, MidwayUSA has them for the same price. I bought 6 lbs of the media, all you need is 5 lbs but I wanted extra so when I "lost" enough of the SS media I would already have extra on hand.

I bought Lemi-Shine from Wal-Mart along with Dawn dish detergent. All it takes is a squirt of the Dawn and about a tablespoon of the Lemi-Shine, run it in the tumbler for 4 hours, rinse, dry and you are done cleaning.

After I size my rifle brass, I run my rifle rounds through the Thumler's Tumbler again for about 1 hour to clean the sizer solution off the brass, dry the brass in the dehydrator, and then I have clean brass for the final steps of the reloading process.
Old November 16, 2012, 11:22 PM   #4
w748

I have the tumbler; been using it for about 25 years and it was very experienced when I got it. I've had to replace 2 drive belts in that time. Mine requires that I oil the berrings on the motor but it just refuses to die.
Old November 17, 2012, 10:51 AM   #5
jaguarxk120

I do what Guilty does, except I use a RCBS A2 press. This is where you buy once-cry once, the A2 is about 60 years old and is stronger than anything on the market today and it works like day one when it was made. Too bad RCBS stopped making them.

A far as the tumbling -- best thing since sliced bread.
Old November 17, 2012, 12:22 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

My brother and I used one of those Tumbler Model B Rotary tumbler. It still works today.