The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 9, 2012, 10:12 PM   #51
Workhorse

Why not just find a 3" 64 and not worry about the forcing cone issues?
Old December 10, 2012, 12:18 AM   #52
MLeake

In his second post in the thread, the OP said he likes the ability to shoot magnums.

That would rule out the 64.
Old December 10, 2012, 01:28 AM   #53
LAKE713

Very nice collection, Deaf! I've been tempted a couple times to get back into the .45ACP world via a 625. They seem like a great idea. I agree about the Mountain Gun. My 629-4 MG is the powerhouse handgun in my collection and a joy to shoot and own.

What are the others in your pics?
Old December 10, 2012, 09:44 PM   #54
Deaf Smith

Lake,

First picture a M66-3 and M686-3 S&W .357.

Second picture a S&W 60 (no dash) and S&W 66-4 .357.

And third picture a S&W 640 with Secret Serivce stocks, Ruger SP101 DAO also with SS stocks, S&W 60 with banana grips, and Ruger SP101.. all .357s.

Any and all will do for CCW but... the pride of Deaf Smith's little collection is...

A S&W M66-1 and Ruger Security Six I converted to RB (round butt) both with Secret Service stocks. The Security Six is a bit heavier but can take alot of .357s while the S&W Combat Magnum has a slicker trigger.

Again, either one will do to ride the river with.

My S&W 65-5 'LadySmith' is right now at a gunsmith getting a red insert front sight but later (I hope before Christmas) to have it back in the fold.

Deaf
Old December 10, 2012, 10:10 PM   #55
joneb

I agree with Homerboy, for what ever that's worth

I meant that in a way that is condescending towards myself, not towards Homerboy. sorry

Last edited by joneb; December 11, 2012 at 02:50 AM.
Old December 11, 2012, 06:18 AM   #56
LAKE713

Ha, I gotcha JibJab. I thought it was funny. Self-deprecating humor is always a good bet. Works for Conan O'Brien!

And, Deaf Smith, oh man, you better start handing out bibs before showing those pieces of work to anyone b/c I don't think I could keep myself from drooling. I put in a call to the seller of the M65-3 but haven't heard back from him. The stainless security six seller hasn't replied to my emails either so I'm just going to have to be tenacious. I'm not too worried about it as I sent off my application and prints for the carry permit last week and, with it being TN and post-Obama-second-term-election and all, I bet there's a stack of carry permit apps a mile high so it may be a while before mine gets back. But who knows, maybe I'll get a Christmas miracle?

Deaf Smith (and anyone else who's interested), do you double carry those or just choose one depending on your mood/need for the day? I'm told carrying needs to be a habit and not a "if I feel like it today" kind of thing.
Old December 11, 2012, 06:20 AM   #57
LAKE713

Also, if anyone on here has or knows of a 686-4 Plus (basically, a pre-lock 686 Plus) they want to sell, let me know. That's my holy grail .357 revolver, as far as I know. I found ONE online (guns america) but even that one already has a buyer lined up and would need a barrel swap (it's too long for carry). They are super hard to come by.
Old December 11, 2012, 10:34 PM   #58
Deaf Smith

Lake,

One at a time... and backed by something like a TCP/LCP/P3AT auto as the 'spare' ammo.

See they are kind of heavy and slow to reload so one simply pockets a small gun as the reload. Now a TI S&W snub would be wonderful but when your snub cost more than the main carry gun it gets kind of ridiculous! Maybe a J airweight .38 DAO if you want a revolver for the reload.

I also suggest finding a mousey old revolver that is almost like the one you carry and shoot it often to get your skills up (and reload to so to cut cost.) With just six shots you need to be a better than average shot to make up for it, and yes I'm IDPA expert in all classifications and class 'A' IPSC and have state trophies in stock service (Glock) as well as revolver (stock service revolver.)

And if you are nuts like me you will get a all aluminum non-gun, used to make holsters, just like the carry gun and then at home draw from concealment alot to get gun handling skills.

And add a .22 version to cut cost down. Just yesterday I saw a S&W 18, 4 inch .22, a bit rusty, for about $300. I was tempted to get it to but I have a S&W 34 stainless snub just for that reason.

But hey, shooting is one of my hobbies and thus all that $$ for training is just furthering my hobby as well as defensive skills. Martial arts is my other hobby, done it since college.

Deaf
Old December 12, 2012, 01:27 AM   #59
LAKE713

Deaf, you're my kind of hombre. I still hit the 75 lb canvas training bag twice a week after kettlebells and battlerope to try and maintain muscle memory on my old Ishinryu training (from back in high school).

Your advice on carrying a back up gun as the "reload" is great; I never would've thought of that. I was thinking either a S&W 908S, S&W CS45, Glock 27, or my mom's Ruger LC9 (which she doesn't like so we're trying to find her something else). I always have my NAA mini .22 revolver for the sock, if nothing else.

Speaking of which, funny bit of info: one of the many guns I inherited from my grandfather after he died was an RG-14, that infamous little .22lr 6-shot snubby. Arguably the worst handgun ever made. I've shot that thing who knows how many times and it's for real a suicide/execution gun b/c anything beyond six feet isn't going to get so much as a powder burn. It's hilarious. I hang on to it for nostalgic reasons though. My grandfather had good taste in guns and I think the only reason why he bought it was b/c my grandmother was hassling him about having a purse gun. He probably bought it for her b/c he knew if she ever tried to kill him she wouldn't be able to hit him with it! He DID have an old S&W .38 lemon squeezer break-top that's in shootable condition. Pretty gun. Reminds me of a M65 with how sleek it is.

Anyway, I didn't even think about the non-gun idea. I had just stood in front of a mirror and practiced with the real deals (dry). Now that I applied for my carry permit, I'm about to enter the wonderful wide world of holsters :\ . You can tell how thrilled I am. (it seems like an expensive pain finding the right one...guess that's why you make your own)

Reloading is a ways off as I still need to get a decent carry revolver with a longer barrel than my Chiappa Rhino 200DS or a good compact/sub-compact semi-auto.
Old December 12, 2012, 07:46 PM   #60
Deaf Smith

Ah holsters....

Lake I have a bag of 'em. Blessed BIG BAG of holsters.

Here is what I've found the hard way.

Slip on holsters slip.. around. Hard to get a good one.

IWB holsters work if your waist line does not vary to much (and get the pants 2 inches larger in the waist to compensate for the gun.) Best place for the IWB is the appendix carry position if it's a snub. Works very well with me. Even a Glock 27 conceals if you wear a baggy T-shirt. Longer barrels don't work as the gun ends up poking a very tender part of ones anatomy.

Belt slides do work and are very convenient if you have a coat, wind breaker, or sleeveless jacket. Do skip the photovest or fishing vest stuff. It looks stupid and shouts 'gun'. I also find barrels longer that 4 inches poke into the seats of the car so a good 3 inch .357 or .38 works real well. Glocik 27 works well there to!

Ankle holsters work if the gun is very light. TCP/LCP/P3AT do work well. Glock 27s don't unless you like having a brick tied to your ankle. And yes I have a Apache holster for my TCP!

Thunderwear/hotjocks do work if you put a TCP/LCP/P3AT or even NAA .22 revolver (I have the NAA PUG .22 magnum BTW.) Use the Thunderwear stuff with jogging cloths. Regular blue jeans don't work so well as it makes you look like you are a potato smuggler.

Shoulder holsters feel like bras and I DON'T WEAR A BRA. OK?

Pocket holsters do work well with, again, TCP/LCP/P3AT/NAA .22 or airweight snub. Anything heavier the coat swings around like a pendulum.

Fanny packs can work if wherever you are fanny packs are common. Here in Texas they are NOT!

So basically I find myself with a IWB and belt slide for my guns. I can go from a Glock 27/26/33 to a Ruger GP-100 3 inch .357 to a S&W 640 .38 (my first carry gun.. still have it to!) I use the ankle rig very rarely.

Hope that helps.

Deaf
Old December 12, 2012, 10:22 PM   #61
LAKE713

Awesome! Thank you!

Deaf, I can't tell you how much that helps! I was thinking of doing a Crossbreed for either my S&W 5906 or, eventually, a Ruger Security Six, S&W 686 or Glock 27 (depending on which one I get). Thanks for the heads up on the ankle holster. I guess I can throw the NAA mini .22lr in there or a S&W CS45 if I wanted to get back into .45ACP, or my mom's Ruger LC9 (which she doesn't like the recoil on). I ordered a Bianchi 100 Pro for my 5906 since the only thing I have for it is a Cheaper Than Dirt UTG shoulder holster that's fine when out camping/shooting but no go for concealed carry. TN is a concealed and open carry state but I don't want to print if I'm not open carrying, which would be risky enough in the more suburban and metropolitan areas of Nashville.

I'm looking forward to having my carry permit and an IWB holster b/c I need new pants anyways so it'll be my excuse and might win me some points with a cute salesgirl in some clothing store or something. "No, I'm not fat; I have to get a 34 waist b/c I'm packin' HEAT, baby!" "..." "...sorry."

I've never heard of Thunderwear/hotjocks but they seem promising. Fanny packs aren't big around here either but if it's good enough for Joe Rogan it's good enough for me.

Knowing the problems with a 4" barrel, that really helps me narrow my search to a 3". No one needs a muzzle playing patty-cake with their dick.

Also, what is a TCP/LCP/P3AT? I've never heard of any of those.

And lastly, what is the opinion on the NAA mini .22lr? Is that enough or is it underpowered? I've been toying with trying to get a hold of a .22 magnum for a while but I wasn't sure if it would be worth graduating to a less common/more expensive caliber. Thoughts?
Old December 13, 2012, 02:59 AM   #62
MLeake

TCP: small Taurus auto
LCP: small Ruger auto (improvement on P3AT)
P3AT: small Kel-Tec auto, .380 bigger version of their .32 P32

NAA mini revolvers have good reputations, but are niche guns considered by most to be best used as backup gun (BUG) or for carry when nothing else can be hidden.
Old December 13, 2012, 03:17 AM   #63
LAKE713

MLeake, thanks for the info on the handguns. In regards to the NAA mini, that's what I figured and the reason I purchased it. Figured it'd be a good summer gun and last ditch back up gun. Or maybe a nice little anti-rape melon popper for a future girlfriend/wife/niece/daughter/female friend.
Old December 13, 2012, 05:30 AM   #64
LAKE713

Also, I really appreciate the advice on the revolvers and will probably hold out for a Ruger GP100 in a 3" barrel thanks to you guys. The owner of that M65-3 hasn't returned my calls and the ad is down so I assume that one's gone but I like the clyinder release, durability and availability of the GP100 and hadn't thought of it until you guys mentioned it.

I found a S&W 686-4 Plus but it has a 6" barrel so it would need a barrel swap but will probably get a Glock 27 as my first compact carry gun. I really like that stainless security six but its 4" barrel would probably be too unwieldy for concealment since I'm 5'7" 165lbs. Thanks again for all the info on the Rugers and the S&W M65-3. I'm going to keep my eyes out for a GP100.
Old December 13, 2012, 08:50 PM   #65
GeauxTide

Owned several K and N frame 357s and two Security Sixes. The Rugers were tanks - they could take the hottest 357s in stride. For your stated use, I'd get the Security Six for the sights.
Old December 13, 2012, 09:02 PM   #66
LAKE713

The sights? Are they stronger or lower profile than a Smith's sights?
Old December 13, 2012, 09:14 PM   #67
Homerboy

Security Six has adjustable sights while the Service and Speed Six are fixed sights. I waited for a Service Six even though a very nice Security Six was available in a local gun shop for nearly the same. The Security has a slightly beefier topstrap, and it just doesn't look right to me. At 25 yards I put a group the size of a of my hand in the target with my Service Six.
Old December 13, 2012, 10:23 PM   #68
Deaf Smith

Lake,

The NAA .22 (or .22 magnum for that matter) is a desperation gun due to it's low power, short accurate range under combat conditions, VERY slow reloading, and difficulty to grab it fast in a confrontation.

I'm 5' 8" and yes the 4 inch revolvers get kind of hard to pack. The Glock 27 is EASY for all but very hot summer days. I'd also suggest a NY-1 trigger (increases the pull to 8 lb and is supposed to be 'unbreakable'. The regular small trigger spring sometimes breaks after 50K rounds or so.)

A 3 inch GP with Secret Service stocks will also do for winter carry.

Here are a few other ideas...

My 625-3 .45 ACP 3 inch snub, 66-3 Combat Magnum 2 1/2 inch snub, and my original carry gun, a 640 2 inch S&W snub in .38 Spl.

Or my 'Canadian' GP100 3 inch .357.

Deaf

Last edited by Deaf Smith; September 9, 2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old December 14, 2012, 12:57 AM   #69
LAKE713

That's a very clean, professional looking stable of warhorses you have there, Deaf.

Yeah, one thing I don't like about the NAA mini is the grip. It really needs one of those folding black plastic belt clip grips to work. I like how small it is but it really seems like the kind of thing suited for workout clothes, beach wear, or a hooker's undergarments. And since I'm not planning on wearing a teddy and working a red light anytime soon, I guess it'll just get used when I'm traveling super light, as a last ditch gun, or give it to a girl as an anti-rape headshot gun.

Thank you for the trigger recommend. I still might be able to get a Glock 27 tomorrow so it'll be something for me to remember. How is it hard to conceal during summer? Is it the lack of summer friendly holsters, the thicker slide, weight or something else?

I like the older Western style look of the Security/Speed Sixes but the GP100 may be the way to go since it seems easier to find one in a 3" barrel.

QUESTIONS:

1) How hard is it to conceal a 686-4 Plus with a 3" barrel?
2) My Chiapp Rhino 200DS has a 2" barrel. I don't know if it was designed to shoot mostly .357s or not but is there any real power increase with a 3" barrel vs. a 2" barrel?
Old December 14, 2012, 10:17 PM   #70
Deaf Smith

Lake,

Summer wise, if you wear very loose style T-shirts you can get a good Kydex IWB holster, like a FIST made one, and wear it in the appendix position or even behind the hip with a 686 3 inch (just don't bend over to pick something up as it will print the gun through the t-shirt.)

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/

Here is my Bowie Tactical Glock 26 with a FIST IWB and Surefire E2D defender flashlight a Spyderco knife. Note a Glock 27 is exactly the same size.

Actually your Chiapp Rhino 200DS should work fine for SD. Even with a 2 inch barrel such as Buffalo Bore 158gr LSWHPs get 1000 fps.

Deaf

Tags
concealed carry , holster , ruger security six , s&w 65-3 , speed six