The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 4, 2002, 05:04 AM   #1
kd7bcy

Ruger P94 disassembly

I'm getting tired of finding the wrong way to take things apart(lost a few parts, almost ruined a pistol and DID ruin a rifle for my lack of patience and love of brute force - guess I should stick to shooting guns and stop trying to take them apart!). How do you completely take down the slide of a Ruger P94? After almost giving up for a while I discovered that a #8 Torx driver fits the screw in the rear sight. The screw was crusted in pretty tight, but it finally came out. But try as I might, the rear sight will not come out! After pounding on it with a hammer, I guess the momentum had a positive side effect of knocking out half of the safety lever! The other half and the firing pin came out shortly after. The front sight and extractor came out before this adventure. Now I'm down the the rear sight and the pin that restrains the firing pin, which presumably comes out when the rear sight is off(and presumably sending the spring into a dark corner or into an eyeball). So, what's the trick to the rear sight? Or is it just stuck?

The reason behind all this effort is that the slide won't stop rusting! After I get it stripped down, it's going to get a nice soaking in gun scrubber, a good polish and a coating of Break-Free or RemOil. If that doesn't work, it will either get hard-chromed or traded in for a Glock.
Old July 4, 2002, 12:23 PM   #2
Badger Arms

Break-Free is not as good as other rust-preventatives out there. Try using EEZOX. It's got the highest ratings out there for rust prevention.

I would NOT SUGGEST taking the rear sight off of the gun. If you must, pounding on it is not the solution. You should get a proper sight pusher or go to a gunsmith for that service. Better yet, Ruger will reblue your gun for about $50 if I remember correctly. If it's Stainless, they'll repolish it for you. Good luck.
Old July 4, 2002, 02:35 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Not quite the Ruger P94, but they're not that far apart...

Check this out: http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...threadid=76411