The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 19, 2014, 10:07 AM   #51
Skans

Quote:
Goes a long way to making this thing even more dumb!!!
Hmmm, I'd bet I could learn to bring that Taurus out of concealment as fast (perhaps faster) as any holsted gun and get 3-4 shots off, all center mass at 20 feet lickety split. I can't wait to try one out at the next gun show. When's Ruger going to rip off the design - I'd rather have one made by Ruger!
Old December 19, 2014, 10:30 AM   #52
Colt46

Not a fan and I don't see much future for it

Yet, I suppose it may signal a change in how firearms in the future are marketed/designed.
Old December 19, 2014, 10:34 AM   #53
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapshooter
So you first have to hope that clip doesn't get caught on your belt when you draw, then you have to reach down, and pull the cord on the trigger cover to be able to fire the gun. Of course you might have plenty of time while your assailant is bent over laughing when he sees your gun. DUH, DUH!

But I guess another possibility would be to tie that cord off to something in your pants! DUH, DUH DUH!!!
You might also pee your pants in fright and bump into an electrical device and get the shock of your life. In these types of discussions, anything is possible.

If you choose to use the cover and restraining cord, about all you'd have to do is attach the end of the cord to your belt. A simple way to do that would be to push the end behnd the belt or through a belt loop, pull it through far enough to open and separate the cords, and then slip the cover (without the gun) through that enlarged loop, and then pull everything tight. You can then slip the gun into the cover, and slip them both inside your pants.

When its being carried that manner, the excess cord will be inside the pants, just like the gun. I had not seen the photos of the cover and cord before, and it's actually a pretty clever, practical approach. Kind of a like a rip cord attached to the airplane as the troops jump out the door -- pull the gun from your waist and the cord pulls the cover off... You don't have to think about it!

We know you're intent upon trying to prove the stupidity of the design, but in the process all you're done thus far is show how little attention you're paying to available details; you've also demonstrated your lack of familiarity with the carry method being discussed. You've previously admitted you have no personal experience with belt clips and yet you continue to tell us how clips will be a problem.

REMEMBER: You don't need to buy a Curve!. You don't need to carry it using the clip -- it's a USER OPTION. But, If you ever DO get one, you can do as I'd probably do, and find a suitable IWB holster.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; December 19, 2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old December 19, 2014, 11:04 AM   #54
Cheapshooter

Quote:
. I had not seen the photos of the cover and cord before, and it's actually a pretty clever, practical approach.
Anything referred to as "clever" when it comes to this abomination is the true essence of an oxymoron!
But hey, some people say the same about the Judge. I happen to really like my PD Poly. We'll see, a sign that the Curve is a success will be when Smith & Wesson comes out with a Bend!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 20, 2014, 05:14 AM   #55
peggysue

I will clip my KelTec 32 in my front pocket on hot summer days. I make sure there is nothing in that pocket too. Never have had it go off on its own. It is all how you train your pistol...LOL
Old December 20, 2014, 09:40 AM   #56
khegglie

holster?

I wonder if the curve design will fit well in a standard pocket holster like Desantis or Uncle Mikes without spreading open.

Looks like you could use your trigger finger to push off the trigger cover if it's not too tight.

Last edited by khegglie; December 20, 2014 at 09:45 AM. Reason: another thought..
Old December 20, 2014, 05:50 PM   #57
Independent George

I get that it's not meant for people who post on gun forums and spend a few thousand dollars on ammo every year, but at the same time, I'm not sure that this is actually good for expanding gun ownership. I think there's a certain level of diligence that should come with concealed carry, this seems like it's made to be carried as a fashion accessory rather than as a practical tool that is easy to use.

I'll hold off on my final conclusions until I can actually handle one, but count me skeptical until then. I was completely on board with the Glock 42 despite the reaction of most gun enthusiasts, but this feels too much like a gimmick and not enough like a serious firearm.
Old December 20, 2014, 06:24 PM   #58
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I get that it's not meant for people who post on gun forums and spend a few thousand dollars on ammo every year, but at the same time, I'm not sure that this is actually good for expanding gun ownership. I think there's a certain level of diligence that should come with concealed carry, this seems like it's made to be carried as a fashion accessory rather than as a practical tool that is easy to use.
I think you nailed it! This thing, see through revolver side plates, flat sided revolver cylinders, even upside down revolvers. All a new class of "boutique" handguns aimed at new gun owners that are more interested in trend, and fashion than on proven designs for reliable handguns.
Old December 20, 2014, 06:49 PM   #59
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
I'll hold off on my final conclusions until I can actually handle one, but count me skeptical until then. I was completely on board with the Glock 42 despite the reaction of most gun enthusiasts, but this feels too much like a gimmick and not enough like a serious firearm.
Do you consider the .22 WMR revolvers serious firearms? How about the Rorhbaugh R9? How about 9mm Derringers? or .45 Derringers? They all appeal to a different market, and the purpose of all guns sales seems to be to make money.

I'll be skeptical, too, but mostly because of Taurus's reputation -- not because of the design itself. If it's well executed and reliable, more power to them.
Old December 20, 2014, 11:29 PM   #60
spanishjames

At least it looks cool. It certainly has lots of features not seen on other guns in its category. I just don't think it'll print less than an LCP or KelTec. Good for them for thinking outside the box.
Old December 21, 2014, 12:33 AM   #61
MagnumWill

Quote:
more interested in trend, and fashion than on proven designs
Hasn't this exact statement been expressed against new technologies for centuries?
Old December 21, 2014, 01:56 AM   #62
Cheapshooter

But what "technology" is involved in this dumb looking thing. It turns a defensive tool into a fashion accessory. All the operational technology is the same as most other small semi autos.
Old December 21, 2014, 09:08 AM   #63
peggysue

S&W hasn't come out with any new innovations lately. Just the same old box guns they have made for years but they made a Taurus Judge copy. Even a weak .380CAL pistol with a built in laser. In a perfect world some posters only like one kind of gun and slam all the others. And the gun has not even come out. Not saying S&W does not make quality guns. They did come out with the 50S&W which is one fun gun to shoot and the 8 shot M347 but all well over $450 and up and up. (I have these and more.)

Last edited by peggysue; December 21, 2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old December 21, 2014, 04:40 PM   #64
Technosavant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumWill
Hasn't this exact statement been expressed against new technologies for centuries?
Taurus is cutting edge?

That's a new one.

There's nothing "new" in the Curve beyond packaging. The integrated laser has been done. Integrated light, ok, I'm not aware of one in a pistol (shotguns have had them in forends) but given Crimson Trace's LightGuard it was only a matter of time. Poor sights (Taurus does take bad sights to the extreme with this thing) have been done too... far too much, even.

The one thing nobody else has done is wrap the frame to pretty much completely eliminate any possible printing. I'm not particularly sure that printing was all that serious a problem with pocket sized .380s, but ok. There's also several very good reasons to NOT curve the thing (poorer firing grip, not everybody has the same body curve so it can still be uncomfortable or even print, and that's ignoring people who aren't right handed).

I still stand by my initial statement that it's gimmicky. Taurus (and admittedly, others too) have been more interested in producing gimmicks that sell over guns that work properly. That's not a good thing.
Old December 21, 2014, 05:58 PM   #65
MagnumWill

Quote:
Taurus is cutting edge?
Where did I say that?

People also thought Galaxy smartphones were ridiculous and impractical? Here I am typing on one. Just playing devil's advocate.

After chatting with my wife about this gun, she had some very good points (as always ). I'm not an advocate for this pistol, I wanted to bring up the discussion of thinking about what shapes a firearm in the first place. She had a good point - as if I had just started getting into guns, and was easing her to buy a pistol... would this be one that I recommend, or especially to a stranger? Absolutely not, I would recommend a 1911-derived platform. I was attempting to argue the point that newcomers to the industry would be more accepting of a gun that doesn't appear as imposing as a 1911. However, that's kind of what you want, isn't it?

Personally, I laud the attempt at rethinking the pistol platform. However, I would never replace my 1911 with it.

Last edited by MagnumWill; December 21, 2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old December 22, 2014, 09:23 AM   #66
Skans

Quote:
Taurus (and admittedly, others too) have been more interested in producing gimmicks that sell over guns that work properly. That's not a good thing.
Funny, my thoughts are exactly the opposite: Taurus wasn't too good at making copies of other manufactures' guns, like the PT99, so perhaps it's best that it design and make its own, unique guns.
Old December 22, 2014, 10:53 AM   #67
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technosavant
I'm not particularly sure that printing was all that serious a problem with pocket sized .380s, but ok. There's also several very good reasons to NOT curve the thing (poorer firing grip, not everybody has the same body curve so it can still be uncomfortable or even print, and that's ignoring people who aren't right handed).
I don't disagree with your other comments, but just would note the following:

1) If you strip off the polymer grip frame and mag baseplate of the curve, you see that the frame and slide are just like any other gun -- nothing curved about them. The curve of the Curve is really mostly smoke and mirrors -- it's about a very thin frame and a thick, lopsided polymer covering. (Details in the patent drawings are available online, maybe on this forum, too.) Switching the Curve to a left-handed format will probably be as simple as mirroring the right-handed grip frame and base plate with changes made for the control to poke through. Taurus probably won't bother until they see whether the Curve is accepted by the buying public.

2) As for the grip possibly not fitting the hand: hold your shooting hand up, fingers curved and loosely point at something. You'll notice that the middle of your grip forms a curve, too. The Taurus CURVE fits into that shape at least as well as a straight, flat-framed gun. Better? Who knows. Shooting it will be the test -- but I suspect Taurus has done that.

3) Does it print less? Probably, but as you note, "printing" isn't much of an issue with most .380 pocket guns -- so the improvement there might be very minimal. It might be slightly more comfortable to carry, using the Belt Clip or a form-fitting IWB holster (which is what I'd probably use were I to get one.)

All this said -- and with me sounding like a proponent, which I'm not -- I'm not rushing out to get one. I think I'm more comfortable with a more potent caliber. (Some of the reading I've been doing, however, makes me think .380 might be a better round than I thought -- but probably better only in longer barrels than found in most of the .380 pocket guns.)

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; December 22, 2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old December 22, 2014, 03:39 PM   #68
SpareMag

Quote:
Is it just me or did they forget the sights
As with Seecamps, for the purpose intended, sights are unnecessary.
Old December 23, 2014, 12:11 PM   #69
Technosavant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparemag
for the purpose intended, sights are unnecessary.
I disagree.

While I may say that in the intended role sights may not always be absolutely necessary, I'm never going to say that any gun flat doesn't need them. Even rudimentary sights can be a help at times and those are fairly simple operations for a manufacturer to mill into the slide. They don't hurt concealment and don't impede a draw.

I don't think it would take huge changes for me to think "ok, the curving is still a gimmick, but it might be a useful gun," but for me those changes would include some form of iron sights and moving the laser activation from a separate button to something activated by a firing grip.* The light is a GOOD idea; I'd like to see more makers integrating one.

*Yeah, I know Crimson Trace has a patent on that, but I have a gun where you have to hit a button to activate a laser and that makes the laser next thing to useless in encounters where it would indeed be needed.