The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 10, 2001, 09:45 PM   #1
sjones

I load rainier 115 hollow points using tite group at 4.8 grains. I shoot a kel-tec p-11. I don't have a chrony so I don't know what this load reads out at,but I see no signs of over pressure.How much hotter can I go? I would like to equal +p loads if I can. thanks. sj
Old May 12, 2001, 01:37 AM   #2
Clark

I have worked on seeing how powerful I can make a P11.

I wanted to develop my own +P+ loads.

I worked with 115 gr JHP Win, 124 Hornady FMJFP, and 147 gr Honady XTP bullets.

I worked my way up until the case was full, or the powder would not compress without deforming the bullet, the case bulged, the primer pierced, or the case failed.

I worked with 14 powder; Bullseye
Unique
Power Pistol
HS-6
Blue Dot
2400"
3N37
800-X
AA#5
AA#7
AA#9
H110
LIL'GUN
Long Shot

I standardized on new RP primed brass and OAL of 1.169". I bored out a little of the throat for some more free bore.

I strapped the pistol to a board with rubber bands, covered the pistol with a blanket [to catch the empty and any parts of the pistol], and pulled a trigger string.

I learned that with the poor case support of a P11 at feed ramp, a primer will pierce at one powder level, the case will start to bulge at .1 to .5 grains higher, and the case will blow at .1 to .5 grains higher still. I learned that I do not want the case to fail. Even If there are no injuries, there are usually some repairs to the pistol. I have dammaged the magazine floor plate, the hold open, and the extractor.

Once a primer is pierced or a case bulged, I learned to write down the all the particulars and avoid getting close to that point a second time.

I have got loads that are in excess of 357 magnum loads. This is possible because the 357 magnum can only go to 35,000 psi, then the cases stick. The P11 pulls harder on the extractor with the hotter load.

This is acedemic becuase of recoil. A P40 outer spring and a better inner spring will give only a few percent increased recoil spring force. The slide slam is so painful, the 3 shots cause my hand to shake for 4 hours. I can take 50 rounds of max loaded 44 mag in a 42 ounce Model 29 without any such problems. The only option is to mill out the bottom of the slide to put in a larger triple spring recoil assembly.

Before I started, a number of people from this forum warned me that maximum 9mm hot loads were not maximum defense because of the recoil. I guess they knew something.

If you still want to try, Power Pistol and 124 gr buolets are good place to start.