The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 17, 2000, 08:18 PM   #1
P35

my Marlin 30 30 lever rifle shoots to the left. which way do I drift the sight to correct? I think both sights are in dove tails so which one should I drift? Thanks

------------------
Old April 17, 2000, 09:12 PM   #2
Mikey

You move the rear sight in the direction you want your hits to go. In this case, since your are hitting to the left, you want your hits to go to the right - move the rear sight to the right.

If you move the front sight it would be exactly the opposite.

Mikey
Old April 21, 2000, 04:17 PM   #3
Jon K

If have to drift the sight too far one way to correct, drift each sight half way.
Old April 26, 2000, 10:58 PM   #4
Unkel Gilbey

Move carefully here! If you have a brass drift, use that. A nylon drift would be my second choice, and anything of steel would be a long distant third.

Be prepared to fire a few rounds during this process. If you've never done this before, I'd proceed in this fashion...

1) place drift firmly against the left side of the rear sight - and hold it there. Hit the drift a fair whack, only one! What is a fair whack? Hard to say exactly, but you don't want to move the sight visibly. An incredibly small amount of movement at the rear sight will cause big changes down range.

2) Fire three rounds down range, and see the effect of your adjustment. There's a chance that the sight didn't move very much at all, and there's an equal chance that it moved too far.

3) From the results of your drifting and subsequent firing, you'll be able to determine whether you need to repeat step one over again.

Remember, you aren't trying to knock the sight off the barrel, just move it a hair. Better to whack it lightly and move it incrementally then to really crack it and then try to chase the proper setting back and forth. This will go on until you either luck onto the proper setting, or the dovetail will loosen to the point where it won't hold the sight firmly anymore.

A brass drift (punch) is essential, and I'd recommend around a 8 - 12 oz ball peen hammer. That, and a box of rounds. If nothing else, you'll have an enjoyable time just whacking and popping!

Let us know how it works out! Good Luck!

Unkel Gilbey