The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 23, 2005, 12:46 AM   #1
chris downs

my first reloads

I just finished my first reloads. 45acp, 4.9 gr Winchester 231, winchester primers, win brass and 230 gr FMJ on the top.

The powder fills the case about half way. Would a powder that fills the case more be better, worse, or ???

For bullet seating, I took one factory round and pressed it into the seating die until I got some resistance and then screwed it down another 1/2 turn. Then I screwed in the round nose bullet seating part until it touched the top on the factory round. My bullets come out to the same overall length as the factory load. But what about the taper crimp? My RCBS seating die is also a TC die but I don't know if there is a crimp. Also, does it need a crimp? I belled the case only close to the top and I can see and feel on the round how far the bullet is seated so it looks pretty darn tight.

I'm going to shoot these in the morning so the proof will be in the pudding, but I would appreciate some feedback. Thanks.
Old January 23, 2005, 01:50 AM   #2
DAVID NANCARROW

Chris, from the sounds of things, you did all right. W231 is an excellent powder for the 45 ACP, and there are plenty of other powders from Accurate, Hogdon and others which will also work well.

As to the taper crimp, if you have a dial caliper, measure at the case mouth and compare between your factory load and your reload. RCBS dies have a taper crimp feature built in, so if you have to crimp the rounds further, just back off your seating die a couple of turns, and then turn the die body in a bit at a time until you get it close. Measurement should be .470 or very close to it.

I have found the taper crimp to not be quite as critical on FMJ's as it is on lead semi wadcutters and such, but it certainly helps feeding as you do not want a lip on the case mouth. It tends to catch on things on the way from the magazine to the chamber.

As to overall length, I find it best to press the bullet into the case just far enough so the rounds will load correctly into the magazine without hangups or issues.

Also, take a few of your reloads and put them nose first onto a work bench or something, and press pretty hard. The bullet should not go farther into the case. Taper crimping does not help in this regard, but I have found that if you bell a case too much, it can cause the rest of the case to bow slightly and cause failures to feed. Just enough to seat the bullet is good enough.

Finally-take em out and shoot em up! Let us know how you made out
Old January 23, 2005, 08:48 AM   #3
wingman

Please read a good reloading manual. Purchase a set of digital calibers.
Load a few rounds only, then proceed with more only after testing.
Slow fire only.!! Plus never reload with distractions in room, tv, kids, etc.
Go slow and you will turn out excellent ammo.
Old January 23, 2005, 05:50 PM   #4
Tim R

The case tension on the bullet should be enough to hold your FMJ's. Take a few and try to push the bullet deeper on a table. If they go deeper, something is wrong. The tamper crimp should be used enough to take the bell out of the case. A good way to check to see if you have enough removed is to take the barrel out of the pistol and drop a few in. They should go right in and then dump right out. I would also load a mag full to see they they fit the mag.

Keep good records so you don't end up repeating your self. Plus after awhile it's also a good way to read back and figure things out for any trouble shooting.
Old January 23, 2005, 10:01 PM   #5
chris downs

thanks and results

I measured case mouth diameter of my reloads and it measured the same as the factory loads so off to the range I went.

Two magazines through my 1911 went flawlessly. My son shot the other 44 thru the tommy gun. One 20 round mag I asked him to shoot as fast as possible. Everthing fed and operated great! While at the range I picked up a couple hundred more once-fireds and several empty boxes.

Now I've got to rearrange my presses and powder thrower for better efficiency and make some more. I would like to do some accuracy comparisons. So far, reloading seems to make shooting even more fun!

Thanks for the help.
Old January 25, 2005, 01:33 AM   #6
Tim R

Chris, I see how you are......make brass so you can reload again

Congrats though, it does feel good when a plan comes together.
Old January 25, 2005, 02:11 AM   #7
SnWnMe

Welcome to the next level of being a shooter!

I like 231 for 45ACP also. It's clean and drops well.

I use a Lee FCD for crimping.
Old January 25, 2005, 10:37 AM   #8
DAVID NANCARROW

Welcome to hell, Chris Reloading hell, that is. I cut back on weapons purchases so I could chase more reloading tools.
Old January 29, 2005, 12:22 AM   #9
Walter

No wonder you started reloading.

A "Tommy Gun"?

Walter
Old January 29, 2005, 01:17 PM   #10
Robert M Boren Sr

One thing to remember is to have fun reloading and not to get into a hurry. Getting into a hurry is when mistakes happens. Welcome to the reloading world.
Old January 29, 2005, 02:54 PM   #11
Dusty Miller

Hey David Nancarrow, I'm at the very same place! Last year I bought FOUR guns but this year its going to be the progressive press with all the goodies. Well, MAYBE there'll be room in the budget for ONE more gun!
Old January 30, 2005, 01:22 PM   #12
chris downs

tommy gun

The tommy gun is one of those autoordnance semi auto models. I didn't buy it (this gun, many others and reloading equipment all dropped on me as a lump sum) and the gun is kind of goofy, but my son likes to shoot it. It comes with a 50 round drum and my son can empty one pretty quick. This gun could be my father's way of punishing me from his grave......