The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 6, 2008, 11:06 PM   #1
gedenke

Recommendations for starter kit...

I recently plunged headlong into handloading and bought the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master Reloading kit and so far, I'm very happy with it. But that's not the point of this thread.

Question is, my father just picked up a new rifle and I suggested that he handload for it. (it's a 270 WSM) He's on a bit of a budget and I was wondering what would be a good starter kit for him. I'm thinking of something not to exspensive, yet good quality and easy to use. Most likely a single stage would work for him. Preferrably it would include everything he needs to get started except dies. Any suggestions?

I did find this one @ midway, is it any good?
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...744&t=11082005

I would just buy some dies and let him use my stuff, but he lives 10 hrs away.
Old March 6, 2008, 11:18 PM   #2
sks

That would be a good starter. My dad has that one as well. Lee is one of the most economical presses on the market. I've used one for several years with no problems. Right now I use the classic 4 turret and love it.
Old March 6, 2008, 11:23 PM   #3
freakshow10mm

That's a good start.

Graf's has it for $100.79 plus $4.95 handling fee (includes shipping). It's out of stock there too but the price will be cheaper than Midway with shipping.

Shop around. Check out Midsouth Shooters as well.
Old March 6, 2008, 11:34 PM   #4
nickl405

I just purchased one from cheaperthandirt.com for $98.73 and I believe they still have them in stock.
Old March 6, 2008, 11:37 PM   #5
ForneyRider

Lee Breech Lock is great for 100$. Has everything but dies, components, caliper, and case tumbler.

You can make a lot of nice ammo with it. I've made several 100 in the few months I've had it.

Also recommend the rockcrusher kit offered by Mid South Shooter's supply. I think it is aroudn 200$. RCBS scale is nice.

RCBS universal shell holder is great for 8$. RCBS tricker is about 8$, but I think the Redding one may work better.

270 WSM looks like an awesome cartridge. Too close to my 7mm Mag in performance to buy one. But I wouldn't mind a 325 WSM in Winchester Super X rifle if they ever made one.
Old March 7, 2008, 12:12 PM   #6
gedenke

Thanks for the comments, guys, I'll pass this info on to him and let him decide if he wants to do it. Oh, while we're on the subject of noobie pointers, what is a good reloading manual for someone like him (and me)? I'm thinking maybe the Lyman 48th edition. I have the Speer 14th book that came with my Rockchucker.
Old March 7, 2008, 04:56 PM   #7
CrustyFN

That would be a very good starter kit. Kempf has it for $99, http://www.kempfgunshop.com/products...its/90030.html. You will need to add dies, case trimmer, chamfer/debur tool and calipers would be nice.
Rusty
Old March 7, 2008, 08:56 PM   #8
scsov509

That Lee Kit has gotten a lot of people started in reloading, and is an excellent way to get into reloading if you're not going to load a really high quantity of ammunition. I personally think the Lee 4-Hole Turret is a better deal, and it provides the option of operating either single-stage or in a progressive style. Midway has the 4-Hole kit for the same price, and either will provide everything you need minus dies and calipers. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...290&t=11082005
Old March 7, 2008, 09:02 PM   #9
hodaka

I got started with one of those. Well, not really, I started with one of the $10 Lee load kits that used a hammer, but the Challenger was next. I still use it 30 years later although I have other presses and a Dillon. In my opinion, a good place to start.