The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 15, 2015, 05:33 PM   #1
Antique Shooter

.35 Whelen Factory Loads for Whitetail

I recently got a Remington 7600 NIB in .35 Whelen and plan on using it as my main "buck" gun. Eventually I plan on reloading for it, but with the season fast approaching I don't think I am going to have time to work up a load. There is trapping and waterfowl hunting to be done! Lol.

So far I have picked up Federal Fusion and Hornady Superformance both in 200 grain as that is what local retailers have had. One store also has Remington Core-Lokt in both 200 and 250 grain, but they are around $50 per box compared to the Federal and Hornady at $35 a box.

Of the variety mentioned, does anyone have any experience with or would like to recommend one to me? The hunting will be done in thick woods with Hemlock groves and plenty of birch saplings. Shots are generally less than 50 yards but up to 100 yards isnt out of the question depending to the exact location.

Thanks,
Antique Shooter
Old November 15, 2015, 06:24 PM   #2
jmr40

For whitetails at 50-100 yards the one that costs the least unless it is just horribly inaccurate. The only one of those loads I've actually used was the 200 gr Remington load. It wasn't much faster than 35 Rem loads, but at close range for whitetails that should be plenty good enough.
Old November 15, 2015, 06:41 PM   #3
Wyosmith

Heck the 35 Whelen is a very good moose gun and is well thought of on big bears too.
ANY factory load is going to work on whitetails.
Old November 15, 2015, 08:04 PM   #4
natman

Use whatever 200 grain load you can get your hands on that shoots decently in your gun. The whitetails won't know what hit them.
Old November 15, 2015, 08:57 PM   #5
Doyle

I agree with Natman. With a .35 Whelen, it doesn't matter what projectile hits the whitetail. What matters is which load shoots best in your rifle.
Old November 16, 2015, 11:24 AM   #6
Antique Shooter

Thanks for the replies.

I had thought the same thing about any of them being able to do the job, until I had read a couple of reviews of the Superformance saying that the bullet didn't even exit. The reviewer stated that the bullet was too "soft." I don't really think that the factory loadings of the .35 Whelen were intended for whitetail so I think I should be ok.
Old November 16, 2015, 03:12 PM   #7
Paul B.

When I got my .35 Whelens, I have three, I did my best to stick with the 250 gr. bullets but I was primarily hunting elk and had a bear tag in my pocket. Didn't see a single elk, cow or bull. It was rather warm and the elk were hiding in the canyons.
The brands of ammo you bought were not even on the menu when I started with the Whelen so I cannot comment on them. What I will say is at least in my rifle, the Remington ammo does not come close to advertised specs. The 250 gr. ammo ran from 50 to 100 FPS slower than advertised. Nothing new as I see this in most factory ammo I've run over the Chrony.
You did not state whether or not you reloaded your own ammo so I hesitate to recommend what I think might be good for you My pet load uses the Barnes 225 gr. TSX at 2700 FPS but that load would be way too hot for your rifle. My custom on a Mauser action loves the load but my Remington M700 and Ruger M77 absolutely do not like the load. They do like a .250 gr. bullet at 2550 FPS though.
Paul B.
Old November 16, 2015, 05:23 PM   #8
Boogershooter

This was my first year with the 35. My wife and I both bought one. Hers is a chance mine is the h&r. Only ammo they had was the superformance. At 100 yards my groups were just over a inch and hers just slightly better. I put a 257 on mine and a 4.5x14 on hers so that is probably the difference. We have shot 5 deer so far and 4 were DRT and the other she made a low shot and broke both front iegs. After a 700 yard tracking job and finishing shot the 35 has been fatal 100 %.
Old November 17, 2015, 06:04 AM   #9
Guv

35 Whelen is a sledge hammer! Shoot what groups the best.
Old November 17, 2015, 06:41 AM   #10
Jack O'Conner

When I think of the mighty 35 Whelen, I envision hunts for elk, moose, and the great bears. But you can hunt deer with it too, if that's your plan. I suggest hunting with the most accurate load and don't worry about bullet weight options.

Remington slide action rifles are typically far more accurate that some guys give them credit for. My older 760 in .243 has taken many antelope at long ranges with no problems at all. My rifle likes Black Hills Ammo best of all.

Jack