The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 9, 2015, 02:37 PM   #26
T. O'Heir

"...Where I am from..." That's the key. Up here, 130 lbs. is one to throw back. The size of the antlers is mostly about how well he's been eating.
However, 10 points is 10 points. If the rack is more important to you than his meat, shoot him.
Anyway, read this. Indicates that fellow is over 5.5 years.
http://msucares.com/pubs/publications/p2206.pdf
Old November 9, 2015, 03:12 PM   #27
Erno86

If you're hunting that buck's core area...I would refrain from shooting any of his does --- since they might be carrying his genes. If you want to manage his area...let him walk, so he can spread his genes and shoot an inferior buck with no brow tines. If you don't think he is going to last the hunting season...by all means --- try to bag that wall hanger!!!

I'm no record scorer...but he looks like he might qualify for the Pope & Young record book. I would not feel guilty in trying to bag that big bruiser.

What part of the US or Canada is he in?

For a northeastern U.S. buck...he looks around the 160#+ {field dressed} and 3 1/2 years old.

Good luck,

Erno

--- George Orwell
Old November 9, 2015, 04:26 PM   #28
hartcreek

Some of you need to start counting on your fingers and or toes if needed as that is a five point buck. Up here in Washington where I hunt that buck would be six to seven years old. Plenty of meat there so I would get it before it died of old age the next winter or someone else got it. The mount would look nice and not look like someone was trying to compensate for something..... after all you don't eat antlers.

Read your states hunting regulations. Here in Washington antler points are counted on one side. A legal animal is determined by points on one side only. with the side with the most points being the determining side.

Last edited by hartcreek; November 10, 2015 at 02:12 AM.
Old November 9, 2015, 04:36 PM   #29
Saltydog235

Quote:
Some of you need to start counting on your fingers and or toes if needed as that is a five point buck.
Whitetails are counted by the total number of points on their antlers. A tine is considered a point if you can hang a ring on it.
Old November 9, 2015, 07:10 PM   #30
jimbob86

Quote:
Whitetails are counted by the total number of points on their antlers. A tine is considered a point if you can hang a ring on it.
That's a "by local custom" thing ..... When I was a kid, we only counted one side .....now it's kind of morphed into counting both sides with a "by" or "x" between the numbers ..... a deer, whitetail or muley, with 4 points on one side, and 5 on the other would be a "4x5" spoken as "4 by 5" .... spikes are still spikes, and 2x2's are still forkhorns .....
Old November 9, 2015, 08:17 PM   #31
Guv

Are we talking about lumber of deer antlers? I'm with Saltydog on this one.
Old November 10, 2015, 01:04 AM   #32
BIG P

LET the air out of that one,then wait for a big one
Old November 10, 2015, 01:10 AM   #33
upstate81

When talking whitetails ALL points are counted. Nice buck indeed. Cant believe you were unsure, that thing is a shooter!
Old November 10, 2015, 08:43 AM   #34
Erno86

He should have a more massive rack next season, but probably the same number of points.

He should be making 6" or 8" diameter-and up tree rubs. Have any 12 or 14 pointers-or up, or non-typicals been seen on the same property; over the years?

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; November 10, 2015 at 08:52 AM.
Old November 10, 2015, 01:33 PM   #35
Mobuck

"It's on my property is really the only reason I questioned taking him."

Like I said, unless you saw the buck in the middle of "your property" and you happen to have 4000-5000 acres, the buck won't always be "on your property".
Old November 10, 2015, 02:25 PM   #36
Old Stony

In Texas the powers that be consider a point to be 1" and 7/8th of an inch is not. We have rules concerning shooting deer with unbranched antlers, and the 1/8" difference is what we are supposed to judge from shooting distances. In my area we have a minimun 13" inside radius of the antlers to be legal if they have forks....try to judge that from a couple hundred yards away.
Old November 10, 2015, 04:44 PM   #37
FrankenMauser

Quote:
In Texas the powers that be consider a point to be 1" and 7/8th of an inch is not. We have rules concerning shooting deer with unbranched antlers, and the 1/8" difference is what we are supposed to judge from shooting distances. In my area we have a minimun 13" inside radius of the antlers to be legal if they have forks....try to judge that from a couple hundred yards away.
The places where I have lived that had stupid restrictions like that, or poor genetics that produced a lot of 'low grade' animals were also places that had the highest rates of wanton waste of wildlife. Or, as my friends, family, and some other locals say, "Badger-holed" animals.

Ignorant hunters shoot anything they see, and THEN try to determine if it's legal.
Sometimes other hunters accidentally shoot animals that were borderline, but turn out to not meet the requirements.
Often, both types try to hide the evidence, since units like that usually have Game Wardens issuing tickets for the first offense, rather than warnings (because of the high rate of wanton waste). And nobody wants a wildlife offense on their record...

So, a day, or three, or fifteen later, some other hunter comes across a deer butt sticking out of a badger hole or coyote den.
Very effective rules, Fish and Game. Well played....
Old November 11, 2015, 04:04 AM   #38
Old Stony

Gotta agree with Frankenmauser, poor genetics do lead to some strange antics by local hunters. I watch "basket bucks" regularly in the woods around here. They might have 8 points...but about a 9" spread, and will never get any bigger. Our Parks and Recreation dept. thumps themselves on the chest for their good job of managing wildlife, but they insist we leave the genetically deficient deer to roam and breed, while only shooting the bigger bucks, or ones with unbranched antlers.
Sort of how the the feds run the gov't anymore. They know the best ways to tell us how we are to do everything, and it seems we can't really do anything about it.
Old November 11, 2015, 06:29 AM   #39
David R

It's a beautiful buck. The test is for the hunter.

Trail cam and in front of you are different.

Let us know if you shoot him.

David
Old November 13, 2015, 04:02 PM   #40
ripnbst

Choot 'em.
Old November 18, 2015, 10:07 AM   #41
Lt. Skrumpledonk Ret

Quote:
If you're on managed land and can assure he's safe, give him another year if you want. If you're on small property or a public spot, take him if you get the opportunity because someone else will if you don't.
I shot a 200 lbs. deer with smaller antlers than those in the OP and it already had been shot that morning on public land; a hand-sized hunk of flesh right off the sternum and a hole in the upper-fore-limb.

Quote:
take him if you get the opportunity because someone else will even if you thought you did.

Last edited by Lt. Skrumpledonk Ret; November 18, 2015 at 10:14 AM.
Old November 18, 2015, 11:24 AM   #42
kilimanjaro

That is a nice, fat, 4-year old buck containing several delicious roasts.

Me, I have them cut up into roasts, and burger the remainder. Have the butcher add some fat to the burger and wrap it in one- or two-pound packets.

You won't improve on a buck like that until you harvest him and give other young boys a chance to move in on his territory and females.
Old November 18, 2015, 05:07 PM   #43
Guv

killimanjaro,

Turn the backstraps into hamburger, really?
Old November 18, 2015, 11:25 PM   #44
stagpanther

My guess is If he's already patterned by bait/licks--take him now--cause the next guys down the road will use the same stuff and blast him soon.
Old November 20, 2015, 07:11 AM   #45
krassimir

I would let him walk...