The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 4, 2015, 12:49 PM   #1
FlyFish

Texas Prop. 6 and Yellow Journalism

Texas is a long way from where I live, and while I'm a very active shooter, I'm at best an on-again/off-again hunter, so it was with only casual interest that I clicked on a story at CNN.com regarding the [claimed] lead role of the NRA in the recent passage of Texas Proposition 6, which for those of you who may not know (I didn't) is a constitutional amendment to protect hunting and fishing in the state. Now I of course know where CNN falls on the political spectrum and I read every story with more than a few grains of salt - especially those concerning the NRA, recognizing that CNN will say anything to advance their anti-gun, anti-NRA agenda. Still, I was somewhat shocked to find this description of the effect of Prop. 6:

Quote:
With the measure's passage, Texas became the 19th state to guarantee its residents a constitutional right to hunt and kill almost all manner of wildlife and the freedom to catch and "bag" as many fish as they can haul back home.
The entire short article is here (you'll need to scroll down): http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/03/politi...dum/index.html

That sounded pretty bad to me. "Almost all manner of wildlife" and "as many fish as they can haul back home"?? So I searched for the actual text of Prop. 6 and found this (the following text would be added, as Section 34, to Article 1 of the Texas constitution):

Quote:
Sec. 34.

(a) The people have the right to hunt, fish, and harvest wildlife, including by the use of traditional methods, subject to laws or regulations to conserve and manage wildlife and preserve the future of hunting and fishing.
(b) Hunting and fishing are preferred methods of managing and controlling wildlife.
(c) This section does not affect any provision of law relating to trespass, property rights, or eminent domain.
(d) This section does not affect the power of the legislature to authorize a municipality to regulate the discharge of a weapon in a populated area in the interest of public safety.[2]
Now that sounds pretty plain vanilla, even (as some other news sources claimed) unnecessary. The only part that seems mildly controversial would be to list hunting and fishing as "preferred" methods of managing wildlife, but "preferred" doesn't mean they should be used if other methods are judged to be better. Unfortunately, there are many thousands of CNN.com readers out there who'll read no further than this biased - no, on second thought, this sort of thing goes far beyond bias - example of yellow journalism and accept it as truth.

My purpose in bringing this to your attention is only to point out, once again, the exaggerations, half-truths, mistruths, and outright lies, no matter how blatant, that CNN and their ilk in the mainstream media will use to attack guns and those who use them in their lawful pursuit of recreation. Yes, I'll continue to visit CNN.com as I do every day, questioning everything I read. I think of it as keeping tabs on the enemy in wartime.
Old November 4, 2015, 04:34 PM   #2
hoghunting

The last tally count posted this morning, Prop 6 passed with 82% of the votes. Never saw or heard any ads for or against the proposition.
Old November 4, 2015, 05:51 PM   #3
Glenn E. Meyer

NRA sent to its members a message to support it.
Old November 4, 2015, 05:56 PM   #4
rickyrick

Texas is a stereotype that certain political alignments oppose. Texas is viewed by many that it is a gunslinging no holds barred conservative haven and innocent animals are offered up as sacrifice.

I spent my whole life in Texas, and I've traveled the world and worked around the country. The war on texans is all hogwash baloney.

There's plenty of places less restrictive than Texas. Texas was once very restrictive on having a handgun on your person. Even though the laws have relaxed, the laws are still fairly restrictive in my book. Hunting is strictly regulated, well dispersed game wardens will get you.... Very few if any public land to hunt on. Hunting is an expensive proposition in Texas if you don't own land.

But recently, because some politicians come from Texas, the media tries to smear it.