The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 24, 2015, 05:03 PM   #1
kcub

223 bullet for deer and/or pig

I'd like to try Federal Premium Nosler partition, haven't found any.
Old September 24, 2015, 09:09 PM   #2
Txhillbilly

While not the ideal cartridge for either animals,I use a 65 grain Sierra Gameking and 70 grain Speer Soft Point.But you will have to handload both of those bullets,I've never seen them in factory ammo.

The Winchester 64 grain Power Point is said to be good ammo,but I've never had any luck getting that bullet to shoot good with any powder that I've tried with them. I've never bought any of the factory ammo.
Old September 25, 2015, 03:05 AM   #3
bamaranger

Nosler Partition

Have you checked on line? I'd be surprised if a box or two couldn't be located somewhere.

I have a couple boxes of slugs (60 gr Partitions) left over from the brief era when Bamaboy took a .223 bolt rifle after deer. We ended up using a Federal Bonded number, and moved to a bigger rifle pretty quickly.

I still have some 60 gr Partitions in 22-250 cases, but accuracy was not all that hot, never did take a deer with that combo. No shots.
Old September 25, 2015, 08:35 AM   #4
HALL,AUSTIN

Fusion 62gr soft point, hornady gmx, winchester PP
Old September 25, 2015, 01:16 PM   #5
Roadkill2228

where I live the legal minimum caliber for hunting big game is .243 winchester and I'm 100 percent in favor of such a ruling, that game may be taken humanely. That being said, feral hogs around here are not considered big game in the sporting sense, they're pests and their eradication is encouraged by any means necessary so I dont think there'd be any trouble with using .223 for that if you didn't have something more appropriate at your disposal.
Are you a handloader or are you limited to factory ammo? Factory ammo wise, there are several options available with tough, expanding monometal bullets, such as winchester razorback xt, remington hog hammer, hornady full boar ammunition, and barnes vor-tx ammunition. All of the above should be great for your purposes.
If using these monometal bullets I'd suggest deliberately shooting for the front shoulder. These bullets will have absolutely no problems with insufficient penetration even out of .223, and so you'll want to inflict as much incapacitating trauma as possible and I suspect the conventional wisdom of going for a no-bones double lung shot when using underpowered cartridges will only result in an unnecessarily slow kill in this case because with the .22 centerfires (and even the .24s) you basically have to choose between broad wounding or deep penetration, but it's hard to have both, you've only got so much bullet to work with.
If you roll your own, I would look long and hard at the 75 grain Swift Scirocco II, b.c. over .4 and tough bonded core construction combined with the ability to open up at low impact velocities while hanging together at high ones and a higher s.d. than most .223 caliber hunting bullets.
Good luck and happy hunting.
Old September 25, 2015, 05:20 PM   #6
taylorce1

I can tell you from daughter's experiences 55 grain Barnes TSX stops deer quickly. However, my daughter has since moved onto 125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips for deer in the .300 Savage. She will tell you that it kills them quicker than the .223.
Old September 27, 2015, 03:24 AM   #7
Old Stony

I've shot many a hog with fmj 223's and they drop on the spot. Just hit them in the middle of the front shoulder. Lung shots on hogs often relate to long tracking sessions no matter what you shoot them with.
Old September 27, 2015, 10:21 AM   #8
Unlicensed Dremel

Quote:
I've shot many a hog with fmj 223's and they drop on the spot
I don't doubt you, but it's still not a good idea to promote FMJs for hunting - a poor choice indeed. Perhaps the reason you had to track them so far with your lung shot which wasn't your ideal placement you describe is because you were using FMJs.
Old September 27, 2015, 11:59 AM   #9
Buzzard Bait

speer 70gr .224

Look at the speer 70gr 22cal.bullet. Used them when my daughter was young accuracy was not great because the rifle we used them in did not have quick enough rifling twist, but two young girls killed three large south Texas white tails one shoot kills all, all the shoots were about 75 yards or so bullets were under the skin on the far side.
bb
Old September 27, 2015, 12:19 PM   #10
thallub

Quote:
I don't doubt you, but it's still not a good idea to promote FMJs for hunting - a poor choice indeed. Perhaps the reason you had to track them so far with your lung shot which wasn't your ideal placement you describe is because you were using FMJs.
US military 5.56 mm full metal jacket ammuntion is fine hog killers. i've killed dozens of wild hogs using the M193 5.56mm round. Never had one get away wounded.

http://the-puzzle-palace.com/files/m..._patterns.html

At ranges to about 150 yards when fired from a 20" or longer barrel the bullet penetrates 4-6", yaws and fragments if the bullet does not hit bone.

Old Stony is right. Regardless what kind of bullet you use; sometimes hogs, especially large hogs, will run a long ways after being double lunged. i've seen them go over 200 yards when hit in both lungs by 180 grain bullets fired from .30-06 and .300 Win Mag.
Old September 27, 2015, 12:56 PM   #11
Old Stony

Dremel....I don't recommend fmj's for a hunting bullet, just stated that with the right placement, they work on hogs just fine. I've shot hogs with all kinds of calibers and bullets, and a lung shot on one with a 45/70 soft point still can relate to a long tracking session. I am currently using a .308 caliber loaded with Noslers for my rifle using night vision, and it doesn't drop them any faster or better than the shoulder shot with my .223 fmj's through the shoulder.
I seriously doubt there are a lot of folks out there that have shot more feral hogs than I have, and I have experimented with a lot of bullet/caliber combos.
Old September 27, 2015, 01:47 PM   #12
SARuger

Not legal here either for whitetail, no pigs here either.

But the .223 is plenty for whitetail. I would use 70-77g JSP depending on the twist rate of your rifle.
Old September 28, 2015, 07:04 AM   #13
kcub

I've not experienced acceptable accuracy with X bullets such as the Remington Hog Hammer in .223, at least in my SCAR.
Old September 28, 2015, 08:26 AM   #14
Panfisher

My Rem R-15 seems to like the TSX Barnes well enough, (55 grain TSX and 1:9 twist rate) won't win any competitions with it, but sure kills deer just fine.

Edited to add: I should have said mine are handloads. I think the original batch was with BL (C) 2 and the next will be with H335. Normally into 1.5 inches at 100 from a bench as long as I don't get twitchy.

Last edited by Panfisher; September 28, 2015 at 03:45 PM.
Old September 28, 2015, 01:05 PM   #15
reynolds357

Kcub, I have never experienced acceptable accuracy with any rifle ammo that Remington made.
Old October 6, 2015, 01:36 PM   #16
ycastane

I've dropped 2 deer and 1 dropped about 10 yes away with Hornady TAP 75gr I think, have to look at the box.
Old October 9, 2015, 09:55 AM   #17
rickyrick

.223 for pig.... No problem
Old October 10, 2015, 09:14 AM   #18
tirod

For those worried that 5.56 isn't enough - I built a 10.5" AR pistol specifically for the purpose.

It carries 1,000 foot pounds out to 85 yards with most ammo. I have 68 gr up for it in hunting tips. Application is the key item - no, it's not a long range bean field shooter, it's dense woods on the ridgetops and down in the draws thick with brush. There are open spaces, yes.

I sat down and plotted the kills I was aware of on the site over 40 years and the majority were all under 85 meters with any weapon being possible. The "minimum ethical" cartridge actually has a pretty low threshold - and shot placement is key. I've hit them with .30-06 and lost them to another hunter who put 6 rounds of x39 into them. I've seen the results of .22-250 which didn't kill one shot at 10 yards - left it standing mostly disemboweled. The other deer was it's mother cleanly taken down with .30 Carbine armor piercing. Both were shot because we pushed them along a ridgetop into other hunters we had no idea were there. Our shooters were just beyond them. It gets like that on public land. You can see a lot of great calibers do poorly, and even illegal cartridges can bring down game.

Not to forget plenty of hunters go out with handguns only, and often states allow down to 9mm as long as its not FMJ. I would suggest that 5.56 is more ethical than most handgun ammo, and certainly can do the job.

It's not for the guy who never shoots long distance but thinks he can hit a deer 200 yards away, moving thru the trees. I hear them cranking their bolt actions until they are empty every year. Big calibers mean nothing if you don't have shot placement.
Old October 10, 2015, 03:01 PM   #19
rickyrick

To some up years of debate; you got to be able to shoot. If you can shoot any caliber will work if you stay within practical range limitations.

I tried many many. calibers for pig... I settled on .223 and used it ever since. I lost one pig. Found it the next day. Turns out it only went ten yards and I walked right past it in the dark.

I trapped lots of pigs as well, these made good testing subjects for various firearms. I could make clean daylight shots at a realistic distance to see what happened. I used .223, up to 303brit and 308. Pistol calibers from 9mm-45acp and 45lc buffalo bore. Shotgun 00, and slug.

.223 always did the job the fastest.
Shots to neck with .223 always dropped them in place. The neck happens to be a large target on pigs
Old October 10, 2015, 03:11 PM   #20
Old Stony

Been sayin' it for years....shoot em' in the shoulder. Mostly us old guys that have shot lots of hogs know this to be true.
Old October 13, 2015, 03:26 PM   #21
nomad636

I've been hunting hogs with my AR for over 5 years. During that time I've tried everything from nosler partitions that my friend loaded, Federal 62gr SP, Hornady 55gr poly tip, hornady 55gr sp, Devil Green Tip FMJ, Black Hills ammo etc.

My hands down favorite load for deer and hogs turned out to be the 55gr DRT ammunition. I have yet to shoot a hog or deer and have it run off. They have always dropped with in a few yards. I actually use the DRT ammo in my .308 for longer range hunting. This past season I took a shot on a buck at 227yds and hit him just below the chest in the front leg. The bullet fragmented as it was supposed to do and the fragments took out his heart. He dropped a few yards away. I'm convinced that if I had used a traditional bullet, I would have broken his leg and he would have run far far away. I pulled the shot and the poor shot placement was my fault entirely. That being said, the DRT ammo does its job.

Unless of course.... you can end him from a further distance.
Old October 15, 2015, 10:43 AM   #22
kcub

Academy has DRT for 16.50 on clearance.
Old October 19, 2015, 07:00 AM   #23
Powdersmoke

So far I've used 2 different bullets to take deer with my .223. Three years ago I shot an 8 point buck standing broadside at 110 yards with a Hornady 75g bthp the shot went through both lungs and the large arteries on top of the heart, broke the far side shoulder, and was lodged under the skin on the far side of the deer. He ran 50 yards and dropped dead. The next year I shot a 7 point at 115 yards with a Fusion 62g bullet. The deer was facing me at a slight angle. The bullet clipped the front of the near side lung, put a quarter size hole through the heart and clipped the back of the far side lung. Once again the deer ran 50 yards and fell dead. The Hornady bullet seemed to be more destructive without coming up short on penetration and is what I'm using this year.

Last edited by Powdersmoke; October 19, 2015 at 04:11 PM.
Old October 21, 2015, 05:19 PM   #24
nomad636

Powder Smoke, I've had similar results with the Federal 62gr Soft Point. I took a buck at about 90yds with one. It was a solid broadside shot, the bullet entered through his shoulder, took out his heart and both lungs. He stumbled about 15yds before piling up. I found the bullet balled under the skin on his far side. I couldn't have been happier.

Unless of course.... you can end him from a further distance.
Old October 22, 2015, 02:43 PM   #25
kcub

DRT keyholes at 25.in my Daewoo K2 though conventional 55 it's fine. Is it all copper and longer or something?