The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 13, 2011, 09:11 AM   #1
OleEd

Want to Start Local Competiton

There are a couple ranges that have modified IDPA, metal and bullseye competitons. I think my groupings is small enough to hit a target (somewhere).

I have 9mm Ruger SR9 & Taurus 709 Slim, 38 S&W 442, 38/357 S&W 586, & a 45 Remingtion R1911 weapons. I reload for a 9mm - 124g TCN, 38/357 - 158g SWC, and 45 - 200 RNF and chose for what I thought was good for my personal shooting. Are these rds ok for the modified IDPA and bullseye shoot?

There are heavier rds and different types of bullets - ie, 180g rds etc. Is there a site that I can go to that gives suggestions to what loads and types of bullets are best types for competitive shooting?

Thanks,
Old June 13, 2011, 09:31 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Your ammunition is adequate for entry level bullseye and just fine for "modified IDPA." Don't overstudy it at this point, just show up and shoot.

"Modified."
Why do these local operators insist on monkeying with the rules?
It just complicates life for anybody who moves on to someplace where they shoot the regulation event.
(Not you, Ed. Just show up and shoot. Worry about the real thing when you get around to it.)
Old June 13, 2011, 10:49 AM   #3
Ltriker

Severallocal ranges offed weekend competitions for many years, IPSC, IDPA, SASS, etc.

Lately many of these have dwindled due to economic conditions, not enough new shooters, etc.

Several friends and I renewed interest by offering a chance to get together to shoot for fun at various targets at various distances and offered various venues.
We had steel and paper for handguns and rimfire at 15-100 yds, paper, steel, and water balloons for centerfire at 100-880 yds, a clay pigeon thrower for shotgunners, and even a gravel pit with a target for machine guns...

We had a good group out the first time around(about 75), and nearly 100 the second time around. Lots of fun was had by all.

Now, we have several regulars who are getting together every few weeks to shoot various targets and are really getting back into the shooting sports. Some have brought new friends along and we encourage inviting new shooters any time. There does not have to be a "registered competition" to get shooters together to enjoy the sport. We do get fairly competitive and most of hte guys are pretty good shots.
Anyone can do this, just call some friends, set up a date and time, gather some materialz, and get the word out that a chance ton meet, greet, and shoot is available. You may be surprised at who shows up with what.

Have fun, we do!