The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 9, 2011, 12:51 PM   #1
walleye

22 Hornet loads

Back on the Hornet again. Thanks to all who helped me in my previous post. Am loading some 34 gr. Dog Town bullets from Midway. Using 11.9 gr. of Lilgun. Have several questions. O.A.L. same as with 40 gr.? Any thoughts about this load? Problem I have is the rifle is in Wis. and I'm in Nv. where the Dillon is. Have had good luck with 40 gr. and 13 gr. of Lilgun. Am shooting a Ruger 77/22 which I know doesn't have the best reputation, but it's what I got! I thank you ahead of time for your time and efforts!
Old March 9, 2011, 02:32 PM   #2
crowbeaner

I use the 40 grain V-Max and 11.0 of WW296. The oal is a bit longer than with a standard bullet, but they shoot very well, and songdogs DO NOT like it when the little pill connects.
Old March 9, 2011, 03:55 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I use the 40 grain V-Max and 11.0 of WW296. The oal is a bit longer than with a standard bullet
In the 77/22 Hornet, the 40 gr V-Max has to be seated deep enough to function in the rotary magazine. This puts the ogive inside the case mouth.

--
The 34 gr Dogtown is long for its weight. You'll probably want the OAL from a 'standard' 40 or 45 gr hollow point.
Old March 9, 2011, 03:57 PM   #4
hornetguy

I would think that if you can safely seat the bullet to the same OAL as the 40gr, then go with it. Being a bolt action, you have to be a little more careful to ensure there is enough bullet being gripped by the neck to prevent bullet movement during chambering. A single shot allows more leeway in bullet seating. I've heard of shooters only seating 1/8" into the neck of some .30 cal cartridges in order to get the bullet out to the lands. This is ok when you can hand seat the cartridge in the chamber, but is a little risky for cartridges being stripped off the top of a magazine and slammed into the chamber by the bolt.
Old March 10, 2011, 12:39 AM   #5
Crankylove

Quote:
The 34 gr Dogtown is long for its weight. You'll probably want the OAL from a 'standard' 40 or 45 gr hollow point.
I find that loading Dog Towns to the 40 grain soft point O.A.L. works well.

I haven't used little gun in my Hornet (usually stick to W296/H110) so have no info for ya there........but my Hornet is also a Ruger 77/22 with the two peice bolt everybody complains about (supposed to be less accurate that way apparently, but nobody told my gun that, as it is just as accurate as every other rifle I own) and my only issue is OAL with the rotary magazine. 40 grain ballistic tips and V-Max need to be seated past the ogive (as Frankenmauser mentioned) in order to fit through the two mags i have.......which doesn't seem to effect accuracy or pressures........just looks really funky,