The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 24, 2011, 07:59 PM   #1
deerslayer303

Newbie at Loading 12ga Buckshot need advice

Hello All,
Well let me start by saying I want to load my own OO Buck, This is the only reason I want to get into loading shot shells. So today I got my Loadall II, 200 3" primed Federal Hulls, BPI #47 shot buffer, and BPI's buckshot loading III manual. Now this manual is very informative on their different products but it isn't written for a newbie, there is no step by step instructions on how to load up a 3" OO load. There are SO many different components that I could use. And after reading the manual I am more confused than before I read it. Could some one Please give me some instruction here?? I have UNIQUE and RED DOT on hand. Basically I would like someone to give me a good recipe and the order the components go in the shell. Thank you for any help.
Shawn
Old February 24, 2011, 08:58 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I suggest you get a good general purpose shotshell manual like Lyman's so you will know "the order the components go in the shell."
That part is just scary, you cannot learn to reload one question at a time on the internet with "recipes" based on hearsay.
I don't think Unique is very suitable for 3" magnums and I know Red Dot is not.
Old February 25, 2011, 12:29 AM   #3
rg1

It's not easy to describe how to load your buckshot loads. Reading your manual with the Load-All II to start with. Next thing is you need to stay with the EXACT components listed in a manual. Do not change anything. If your BPI Buckshot manual is the same as mine, you'll notice that on page 9 under 00 Buckshot it says one pellet of 00 Buck weighs 1/8 ounce. So for a one ounce load it calls for 8 pellets, 1 1/4 ounce loads would use 10 pellets, and for the most common 3" 12 gauge load at 1 1/2 ounce it would call for 12 pellets of 00 Buck. On page "Buckshot Load Data 04" it only lists 4 or 5 loads for Federal Hulls. I would suggest LOAD ID 40803-466 which is the 1 1/2 ounce load using 12 pellets of 00 Buck. Use only the components in that one line which calls for a Fed FB hull--Fed 209A primer--SR 4756 powder at 34 grains of it, weighed on a scale exactly---BPI's STS wad ordered from them for 12 gauge-- and a OS12 overshot card also ordered from them or at any other place that sells BPI products such as MidwayUSA. Study a lot on shotshell loading 1st. Simply put since you already have primed sized hulls, weigh the SR 4756 powder exactly, it goes in the hull 1st, then the wad is pushed down hard on the powder with no space between powder and wad, then layer the buckshot and BPI calls for 4 layers of 3 00 Buck, then the OS12 cardboad overshot card goes on last before the crimp. This load calls for no buffer material NONE added. No other 12 gauge 3" loads in the BPI Buckshot manual uses buffer either. DO NOT put buffer in any shotshell load UNLESS it says to use buffer. Buffer raises pressure and you use it ONLY when a published load calls for it.
IF you want to load any other of the 5 Federal hull loads, use only the components listed along the line. There are some good videos on YouTube that may help you understand whats in your manuals. The Lyman 5th Edition Shotshell Manual is another good source for instructions and load data. Learn how to safely load shotshells before you try your buckshot loads.
Only slow shotshell powders are recommended for buckshot loads. Lymans 5th Edition manual has 3 loads in it for Federal hulls using 12 pellets of 00 Buck. Two of the loads use Winchester wads and one uses BPI components.
Be careful and know exactly what you're doing, read and understand your shotshell machine and your loading manuals before you proceed. If you could find someone locally that loads shotshells to help you get started it would be helpful. Again be careful!! Any questions about the BPI Buckshot III manual or BPI's components, I'd give them a call on the phone for advice.
Old February 25, 2011, 08:29 AM   #4
deerslayer303

Thank you for the very informative Reply. Oh I assure you not one grain of powder will go in those hulls until I figure out exactly what I'm doing. I will get the Lyman manual on order. Here are the hulls I bought, but it don't say exactly what they are, ex. Federal FB, etc. I think they are straight wall hulls though.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=153622
Old March 8, 2011, 05:25 PM   #5
deerslayer303

HA! SUCCESS!!!

Well look out I'm dangerous now LOL I've figured it out!!!

I just followed the recipe for the lightest load on the IMR website 36gr. 12S3 wad and 12 pellets. Now since the pressure is listed as only 8000 I buffered the shot too. I patterned them at 40 yards and they did quite well out of my BPS full choke Browning and they averaged 1280 on the chrony.

How dawg I'm proud of myself!!!
Old March 8, 2011, 05:43 PM   #6
rg1

Congratulations on your accomplishment. It's not easy loading buckshot. Just make sure they aren't overpressure with tight ejection from your pump shotgun. I have a BPS Browning pump myself. I like the bottom ejection.