The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 31, 2002, 03:12 PM   #1
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

U.S. Rifle, Caliber .30, M1917

I am looking for a 1914 or 1917 Enfield for eventual transformation into my .416 Rigby DG rifle. I have heard that some Eddystone rcvrs had bad heat treats, so I would like a Remington or Winchester. Any suggestions as to likely places for reasonable receivers? What would constitute "reasonable" pricing?

Thanks,

John

Wandering Thoughts
Old March 31, 2002, 11:34 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Spectre

All Model 1917 receivers were nickel steel and none had "bad heat treats" as is commonly understood to have happened on "low number" Model 1903 rifles. However, Eddystone installed barrels by machine and some were overtightened. This has resulted in some (rare) seasoning cracks and (more often) cracks when trying to remove the barrels. The latter problem can be eliminated by relieving the barrel tension with a lathe cut just ahead of the receiver. No problem, as you are obviously not going to preserve the barrel.

The only 1917's available are seen at gun shows. They are mostly WWII rebuilds, but again this is of no concern to you. Prices have been running around $200-300, though sometimes one can be found cheaper.

Many thousands of those rifles have been "sporterized" over the years, and you might check local gun shops or put an ad on the buy/sell forum here. Depending on what you want to do, one of those might save you time and money, as the "ears" might already have been removed, the receiver drilled and tapped, etc.

I am not sure a Pattern 14 will work for you, as IIRC, the mag is not long enough for the .416, but I am not positive.

Jim
Old April 1, 2002, 06:52 AM   #3
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Thanks, Jim. I appreciate the info.
Old April 17, 2002, 05:05 PM   #4
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Woohoo! Spartacus found one for $150. God bless friends.
Old March 28, 2005, 06:16 PM   #5
cuate

US Rifle Mod. 1917 30-06

I spend a great amount of time drooling over the firearms up for bid on ActionArms.Com, See lots of Mod. 1917s sporterized fairly reasonable, ditto 03s 03A3s and Krags.
Once they have been sporterized, the price goes way down.

Perhaps a good place to get a 1917 that can be sporterized into what one really wants or maybe as is? This fat boy likes the above mentioned "neat"......Thats as it was issued but not worn out.