The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 5, 2016, 08:25 AM   #1
cervri

Sierra handgun bullets

What is the problem with sierra? Seems that a lot of the sierra handgun bullets are out of stock everywhere...I love the 38 cal 125 gr JHC's but am unable to find them...Can't find the 38 cal 125 gr JSP either..I load for a K19 smith and a Rossi 357 saddle carbine and am not sure if the 125 gr JHP will work well in the rifle (Tubular Magazine).
Old May 5, 2016, 09:29 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

The criteria for the tubular magazine are that the bullet meplat be wider than a primer (it appears to be), and the bullet seated to the crimp groove level with the case mouth not be so short that it lets the next round in the magazine interfere with the carrier lifting. If it doesn't, you are good to go. Just be sure to apply an adequate crimp.

Looks like OK Weber has the #8320 in stock.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 5, 2016, 10:53 AM   #3
cervri

Thank you for the link, did not have that one.. Would hate to buy a box of the JHP's just to find out they were too narrow...although they would work fine in the K19..not a total lose..The JHP seem to be available from many sources. Anyone using the JHP in a lever rifle?
Old May 5, 2016, 11:08 AM   #4
T. O'Heir

Looks like Sierra may be on a sabbatical with the 125's. Midway shows all of 'em as Out of stock, No back order. Grafs however, does not. They're only showing JHP's as out of stock.
Very much doubt a JHP will give you grief in a lever action.
Old May 5, 2016, 12:10 PM   #5
buck460XVR

Many bullet manufacturers, because of the high demand for bullets lately, have temporarily dropped making some of the lower demand bullets in favor of keeping their machines running with those in high demand. This is the answer I got when I e-mailed a major bullet manufacturer about why I could no longer find my favorite pill for my .460. They told me even after they switch back to producing the lower demand bullets, it will take awhile before I see them in my LGS.

As for a safe bullet for tubular mags, anything other than a pointed/spire point bullet will work. As for .38/.357, because of the small primer used, most all JSP and JHP meplat will be wider than the primer.
Old May 5, 2016, 04:25 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

Cervri,

A small primer pocket is 0.1745" wide, maximum. If you are unsure, just call Sierra and ask if the meplat is that wide or wider. (888) 223-3006.
Old May 7, 2016, 06:29 AM   #7
SARuger

I use the Sierra 240g JSP in my SBH, can't find them anywhere. I have 50 left. Although these are used for hunting and I use MBC 240g coated for plinking, I still like to have a hundred or so on hand of anything.
Old May 7, 2016, 07:31 AM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

SARurger,

I don't see a 240 grain JSP's listed on Sierra's site nor even in a decade old Sierra manual, nor even in my 1978 Sierra manual, so I don't know that they ever made one other than the 300 grain JSP. If they did, it was an experiment that was discontinued. The only 240 grain bullet they list now or then is the JHC #8610. The JHC and truncated cone 220 and 250 grain match bullets cover pretty much anything you'd ask a bullet with that flat meplat profile to do.

The #8610 is currently in stock at Midway and at Midsouth and at Brownells.
Old May 7, 2016, 01:29 PM   #9
briandg

NO, YOU SHOULD PROBABLY NOT USE THEM IN THE CARBINE.

The 125 hp is not meant to work at those velocities. The 110 and 125 bullets as you have described, in my experience, were pure lead, mushy, designed for .38spl velocities, and got the snot beaten out of them by feeding or rough handling. You should follow the normal practice for these things, and if your bullets are as fragile as they were in the past, get soft points, not hollow points.
Old May 9, 2016, 10:08 AM   #10
buck460XVR

Quote:
NO, YOU SHOULD PROBABLY NOT USE THEM IN THE CARBINE.

The 125 hp is not meant to work at those velocities
It depends on what he's using them for. According to Sierra themselves, their 125 JHP is suitable in all .357 cartridges used in revolvers or rifles. This tells me the jacket is tough enough that it will not separate in the barrel @ carbine velocities and that the bullet face is flat enough to be safely used in tubular magazines(as most .357 repeating rifles are tube fed). While the JHP may be too fragile for large game like deer, it most certainly will work well for varmints or paper. I use 125 JHPs(Montana Golds) outta my Rossi carbine all the time over a good load of H110/W296. Very accurate and splatter nicely on steel gongs. When using the carbine for deer, I go with 158 JSPs or FPs.

From Sierra's website....https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/...cal-125-gr-JHP
Old May 9, 2016, 11:05 AM   #11
briandg

Look carefully and you will see that he said "JHC,jacketed hollow cavity, not point.

Also from the Sierra website..

https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/...cal-158-gr-JHC

I have used these, you apparently havent. In a tube magazine these are beaten to death. In the .38 for 110 and 125, those things literally tore themselves apart what will 2,000 fps do? Double the velocity of the +p rounds that I used them for?

As he wrote that post, with my experience with those very bullets, it's not a good idea. He would be better off with different producs. As far as I can see, however, it's a moot point. That bullet has been discontinued.

Maybe later I will dig up some examples to prove my point absolutely
Old May 9, 2016, 01:48 PM   #12
buck460XVR

Quote:
Look carefully and you will see that he said "JHC,jacketed hollow cavity, not point.

Also from the Sierra website..

https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/...cal-158-gr-JHC

I have used these, you apparently havent. In a tube magazine these are beaten to death. In the .38 for 110 and 125, those things literally tore themselves apart what will 2,000 fps do? Double the velocity of the +p rounds that I used them for?

As he wrote that post, with my experience with those very bullets, it's not a good idea. He would be better off with different producs. As far as I can see, however, it's a moot point. That bullet has been discontinued.

Maybe later I will dig up some examples to prove my point absolutely
If YOU look carefully, he never said anything about a 158 gr bullet at all, not JHC, not JHP. The Sierra website also claims the bullet you linked to is not discontinued, but backorderable.

If you are talking about a 125 gr JHC that is discontinued(It could be, there is no mention of it on their website if there ever was such a thing. I have an older Sierra bullet chart and it shows no 125 gr JHC for .357, only JHPs and JSPs. If it is a discontinued product, it's been discontinued for a while), you are correct, it is a moot point, but still, the JHPs should and will work just fine in a tubular mag and will shoot safely outta a carbine. Terminal performance may be an issue, but again, depending what the intent of the ammo is to be used for needs to be considered. I never use a JHP handgun caliber bullet for hunting deer. I generally use JSP or in the case of Hornady's their JFP in .357, I also do not go as light as 125 for deer, sticking with 158s or heavier. But for punching paper and varmints, nuttin' works as well as the 125s, in both revolvers and carbines. That's my experience, again, yours may differ. I've also used JHCs and JHPs with a large amount of lead exposed(similar to the Sierra's you linked to) and had then deform a tad using the loading gate and a tube mag, but that little bit of deformation did nuttin' to the accuracy or the feedability. Again, just my experience.....and yes I have used the Sierra 158 JHCs, still have a box or two upstairs in the reloading room, but cost compared to MG and Nosler 158 JHPs is high.
Old May 9, 2016, 04:25 PM   #13
briandg

Yes, he did say jhc, jacked hollow cavity, and since the 125 was not listed, I linked to the 158, so you could see that there is, in fact, a jhc, and that it's not the same as a jacketed hollow point. I have owned both 110 and 125' and the only reason I brought that issue up at all is that it was relevant to wha he posted.

If I fact he meant otherwise,meaning a jhp, then there's nothing more to be said. The reason that the jhc may not be made any More is simple. As they had been made when I was buying them, the lead was like butter. With plenty of resistance, the bullet popped open immediately, wrapped itself into a classic mushroom, she'd its jacket, and then the lead sometimes broke up, just at .38velocities. I don't even know if the 110 out of a rifle at full very useful
It's would survive the trip down range, and if it did,I'm pretty sure that it would blow on contact with the first bit of hard flesh it hit. That hole was deep and wide, going under the level of the gilding metal.

I especially disliked the handling. Just running them through the seater die deformed them some. Dropping them dented them.Putting them through a magazine caused more distortion. All things considered, they probably shouldn't be used on anything bigger than a raccoon, but some of those things carry such a pack of suet on them that most of the damage might be expended Without the bullet really damaging Deep organs.

Bottom line is that Sierra for a while built a terrible semi jacketed hollow point, but this was when most hollow points stunk anyway. I'm glad to see the light ones gone. Now we can pick our bullets from dozens of available numbers. It doesn't surprise me that they have been discontinued. I fist bought them in Maybe 1987, went through a few boxes or so each, I still have loaded ammo because I just put it away and never used it up.

Something I can assure you of, those things would never pass the gelatin tests. With the soft lead, the excessively deep cavity, and the massive lump of lead above the jacket, the expansion on the relatively hard gel woul be really bodacious at 2 k fps