The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 30, 2016, 05:38 PM   #1
308Loader

380 loads

My daughter just bought a tiny new Ruger 380 for self defense and work in the security field. Its more of a boot gun if you ask me, but princess wants, she gets. I did a quick reed of the manual and it states several times in red letters NO +P ammo. Most "defensive" ammo on the shelf for 380 is +P or just 80-90 gr ball. So my question to all you fine people is, what would a 380 "defensive" round load look like -max P? I would assume a JHP might be good for soft targets, or is the penetration a better approach with RN.

Any way, I have HS6 and CCI500 primers and lots of mixed brass on hand. Hornady book shows 2 bullets, 90gr hp and 100gr FMJ. Book shows no HS6 data. What would you load for 380? Thanks.
Old March 30, 2016, 06:27 PM   #2
Bayou

I load 100 grain projectiles using 700-X powder with load data published on the Hogdgon website:

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

They perform well.

Bayou

Bayou
NRA Life Member
"Keep Calm and Reload"
Old March 30, 2016, 06:58 PM   #3
WCWV

I load 90 gr cast over 3.1 gr of Titegroup for my son's Ruger 380. Very accurate and runs through the action with no problems
Old March 30, 2016, 07:33 PM   #4
Jwilson904

I use 100grain plated bullets and winchester auto comp. works good.

Defensive wise i like hornady critical defense.
Old March 30, 2016, 07:33 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

I would suggest that with a marginal power cartridge in a short barrel that will further marginalize its performance, that you look for a solid projectile with the widest, flattest nose you can find that will still feed well. The Lee 95 grain TL RF is a good example (left-most bullet, second row). If it feeds in her gun, that kind of shape produces a compromise between penetration and flat, crushing shape, that can do surprising damage as compared to a round nose.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 31, 2016, 04:18 PM   #6
Clark

I have overloaded a handful of 380s to see how much power I can get.

The Ruger LCP [now in my pocket] and the Kel-Tec P3AT [was in my pocket for many years], are the lowest of the low in how much pressure they can take without a guppie belly case bulges.

I don't know how Buffalo bore +P can get 1100 fps with 90 gr. with these barrel lengths.

I am right on the threshold of a bulge to get 1100 fps. Not backed off from a bulge by a grain or two, right on the threshold of a bulge.

I am using up the last few thousandths of an inch in OAL that will still feed in this gun.

I am using power pistol. Some have suggested that Buffalo Bore has some better powder than me. I don't know about that.

What does it all mean?
The LCP is at the bottom of list for case support in 380s.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old March 31, 2016, 05:35 PM   #7
lee n. field

Quote:
I did a quick reed of the manual and it states several times in red letters NO +P ammo. Most "defensive" ammo on the shelf for 380 is +P or just 80-90 gr ball.
My understanding is, there "ain't no such thing" as a +P SAAMI spec for .380. Anything labeled as such is marketing, and the manufacturer is possibly wandering into dangerous territory.

If you look at the barrel of an LCP, the chamber walls are mighty thin in spots. I would not try to hotrod anything in this gun.

If you want to experiment with ".380 +P", I'd do it with a heavier gun, with a thicker chamber wall and well supported chamber.

Quote:
The Ruger LCP [now in my pocket] and the Kel-Tec P3AT [was in my pocket for many years], are the lowest of the low in how much pressure they can take without a guppie belly case bulges.
I have really not had good luck with handloads through my LCP.

http://www.saami.org/specifications_...wnload/205.pdf

http://www.saami.org/specifications_...ssure_CfPR.pdf

(Listen to Clark. He's been around a while, and (AFAIK) still has all his fingers. )
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; March 31, 2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old March 31, 2016, 10:08 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

My standard .380 Auto load runs Unique under the Berry's 100 gr HBRN.
I haven't tested it in the LCP, yet.

For SD/HD use, my previous .380 was normally loaded with Hornady CD or Winchester SXT factory ammo.

As for some defensive ammo suggestions...
The Hornady Critical Defense 90 gr FTX load is available in 'standard pressure' form.
Winchester SXT 95 gr JHP loads (now known as "PDX1 Defender", I guess) are available running standard pressure.
Ruger 56 gr Polycase ARX loads are standard pressure. (The bullet works well - but definitely test for function before committing. Some firearms [in any cartridge] hate these bullets.)
And the list goes on...
And on...
And on...

The majority of .380 Auto defensive loads are not +P loads.
Old April 1, 2016, 12:04 PM   #9
briandg

i use aa 5, and 100 grain plated, and they seem to work really well in most ways. I would not use a handload for SD. I strongly suggest the sig v crown. do no use low recoil rounds. don't use cci primers. i find that hollow base bullets work well.

my pistol has been an absolute workout. there are the things that have made it work

i wouldnt worry about using 90. it's going to do as well as you can expect. This isn't that far off of a 9mm, it's as good as a makarov. for a pocket pistol it's good performance.
Old April 1, 2016, 09:49 PM   #10
lonniemike

lehigh defense has Xpenetrator(90grn) and Xdefense(65grn) componets and loaded ammo. Under(wood/hiil?) uses lehigh componets to make +p ammo.
Their are lots of different self defense 380 ammo video's. Plenty to look at. Best
Old April 1, 2016, 10:02 PM   #11
lonniemike

What is max? YMMV, Do you hope and pray,or use a chrono? Lehigh's 65 runs about1150 and Underhill's go bout 1300. 90's run respectively 950 and 1100fps.
Old April 6, 2016, 09:52 PM   #12
roughneck9725

Titegroup

After some issues with other powder, I use Titegroup (2.6 grains) with 100 grain bullets. Very accurate (as 380s go) and shoots very well out of my SIG P239. I will stick with this recipe for all my 380s so long as I don't run out of Titegroup.
Old April 8, 2016, 08:41 PM   #13
lonniemike

I see that I was off by 100fps. Lehigh 90grn Xpenetraters are advertised at 850fps not 950. I also like XTP, HydraShock, and GoldDots for hollow point ammo.