The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 9, 2015, 07:33 PM   #1
huntinaz

Coues Hunt 2015

Just got back from a short trip to Coues country, down by the Mexican border. Only had 3.5 days as this was a bonus hunt between elk hunts for me. My buddy was holding out for a big buck but I was gonna get some meat starting the third day.

3.5 days is a quick trip so we'll do a quick write-up. Day 1 a big one got away from us, day 2 was quiet. Passed 5 small bucks on day 1. Here's some of the country were were glassing:

Day 3 Mike was still holding out for a wall hanger but I was ready to shoot any buck and get some meat in the freezer so I can hold out for a good bull on my upcoming elk hunt. By now a good friend from Tucson came out to guide and glass for us. We hadn't seen each other in awhile and day 2 was frustrating so we had about one beer too many. Were about 15 minutes late to the glassing spot but after a few hours glassing in the morning we found a couple buck, a fork and a 3x2 in the same small canyon Mike killed his buck in last year. Mike didn't want either of them so I made the stalk alone and crested the hill 250 yards from them. I got set up on the bipod, dialed up the yardage and waited for a broadside shot. After about 30 seconds I got a quartering away uphill and decided that was good enough. 250 is a chip shot in this country and with this rifle and I had a headache so I busted him. Little bigger than last year's buck, I think only 2.5 years old but had a big body and good main beams for his age. I'm happy with him, I think these coues deer are the best eating AZ has to offer.

Busted a buckle on the Eberlestock packing him out, it held with half a buckle but is gonna need a fixing.

We saw 11 bucks total but the two bucks we saw that Mike wanted to kill got away. Better luck next year I hope but was a great trip with good friends.
Old November 10, 2015, 09:44 AM   #2
hooligan1

Hey AZ, that's awesome country!!! Congrats on the buck..
Old November 10, 2015, 11:33 AM   #3
kcub

Congrats! What rifle and ammo?
Old November 10, 2015, 11:43 AM   #4
huntinaz

Shooting a Nosler TGR M48 in 300WSM, 180gr Nosler Accubond over 66.6gr AA3100. Did the trick.
Old November 12, 2015, 12:44 PM   #5
huntinaz

Nice thing about these little deer, they butcher up quick:

Steaks and roasts:

And my little helper with the breakfast sausage: