The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 19, 2015, 06:37 PM   #26
NHSHOOTER

Just got a text from my friend that is using his 270 with 150 gr Hornady interlocks for moose. He shot a very large cow, "1 shot, took 2 steps and dropped". Dont know the distance of the shot but will report as soon as I know more.
Old October 19, 2015, 11:32 PM   #27
Scubasimmons

I don't believe it, .270 is too small for moose....
Old October 20, 2015, 12:22 AM   #28
taylorce1

Cool! Moose is on my bucket list. Waiting patiently for the rest of the story.
Old October 20, 2015, 07:33 AM   #29
Kosh75287

Murphy's Law

As many moose as have fallen to a .270 over the years, I won't say that the round is too light for them. I DO think I wouldn't go any LIGHTER in a moose gun. A great many Scandinavian hunters have dropped a great many moose with the 6.5x55, but I'D prefer something larger.

With due respect to Elmer Keith's work and memory, I don't think that a .375 H&H is necessary to drop them. I nonetheless try to set things up so that I have more than minimal power for the game animal of interest, because sometimes, bad things happen, and usually with no warning at all. Heavier, fatter bullets that will stay together well seem to anchor game the best. A .30-06 with heavy slugs should work, as should an 8x57mm Mauser (european loads) with a 185 grain or heavier projectile. I would also be tempted to use a .45-70 with a slug 350 grains or heavier, traveling at 1700 f/s or faster, where the ranges are shorter.

As it is with cat-skinning, there are many RIGHT ways to harvest moose. It's just that there's also LEGIONS of BAD ways, also, and people seem to be coming up with NEW ones, everyday.

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!
Old October 20, 2015, 04:03 PM   #30
NHSHOOTER

Just got off the phone with my moose hunter, he shot the moose @ 250 yds, it took 2 steps and dropped, bullet took out both lungs and stopped at the skin on the far side. I will see him later and get pictures of the moose and the bullet used. Dressed out at 650 lbs..More to come.
Old November 1, 2015, 10:45 AM   #31
Ibmikey

This morning I could have done in a spike moose ten feet from my front deck, the critters love my backyard apple trees but not excited regarding my front yard crab apple. We have tons of mule deer but only three or four times a year is a moose observed.