The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 4, 2011, 06:47 PM   #1
rigby06

tactical shotguns

I am sure this is going to raise some comments, what would be considered the best tactical shotgun, please give examples of speed or performance. For me it is the Benelli M1, I can and have been able to shoot 8 shots of 2 3/4 00 buck in 2 seconds , any thoughts?
Old January 4, 2011, 08:28 PM   #2
IZinterrogator

Benelli M4, you can add all kinds of rails, lights, and other stuff without risking a jam due to the gas system instead of the inertia system.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old January 4, 2011, 08:34 PM   #3
Vermonter

just kidding......

mossberg single shot 410 ga with a tactical light?
Old January 4, 2011, 08:41 PM   #4
oneounceload

Quote:
able to shoot 8 shots of 2 3/4 00 buck in 2 seconds
Is there a reason why you feel the need to be able do so ?

Personally, I have never had the need - perhaps you can provide some personal experience where this was necessary.................
Old January 4, 2011, 08:47 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

THERE IS NO SUCH A DANG THING AS A *TACTICAL* SHOTGUN!!!

Tactics are a mindset. The mindset of a person who has decided to employ strategy in his routine.

So since I carefully roll a short strip of toilet paper around my hand to form a square, wipe, fold into a triangle so I can wipe again then a third time, I am now using "Tactical toilet paper"?

http://thefiringline.com/forums/sear...archid=4935170
The above is results of using "tactical" as the only key word in an advanced search of titles in the shotgun section alone. My 18 inch barreled 20 gauge mossberg 500 is my only HD gun, my only hunting centerfire weapon and my fun toy too...

It isn't very "tactical" for clay sports or wing shooting though....

Brent
Old January 4, 2011, 08:53 PM   #6
pistolerokid

tactical shotgun

I would voice a second for the benelli m4. very rugged, well built. of the various defensive style shotguns that I own, this i would consider to be my best and most reliable. They have a unique gas operated system to my knowledge is only on the m-4. not on any other model. I suspect you will see some copycats coming out in the next few years. The U.S. Marines are using these in Iraq and Afganistan. Mine is in the desert camo. just for the reason that I wanted a change of color. All my others are black. I thought at first it might be a little bright in the evening hours and in moon light. It is not. I also do a lot of bird hunting in the dakotas and this color pattern works well with the native prarie grasses in the fall. It came with a 20" barrel but I will be contacting benelli to see if I can get a longer barrel also in the same cammo pattern. One that will be a more suitable for phesants. Duel useage.
Old January 4, 2011, 08:59 PM   #7
Alden

Remington 870 Turkey gun with a 20 inch barrel. Add a mag extension and it will hold 7 2&3/4 shells.

It's mine.

I like it 'cause after I'm done killing the invading hoards I can convert the mag back and put on my shotgun scope and go shoot some turkeys.
Old January 4, 2011, 09:00 PM   #8
egor20

My HD shotgun is a Benelli M3, if I want tactical I can wrap my wife's Beretta O/U in camo tape and beat the intruders knees with it.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand

Last edited by egor20; January 4, 2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old January 4, 2011, 09:22 PM   #9
Nnobby45

Quote:
Seems like a reasonably good way to distinguish a hunting shotgun from one set up for SD or LE.

If there's no Tactical Shotgun, then is there a tactical pistol? Knife?

Perhaps a Tactical firearm is one better designed to facilitate the employment of the tactical mindset. You happen to own a hunting and tactical shotgun all in one--which isn't surprising given your skill at perfecting the deployment of toilet paper into a fine tactical art.
Old January 4, 2011, 10:25 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
If there's no Tactical Shotgun, then is there a tactical pistol? Knife?
No. That is correct!!!

Every shotgun is just a dern shotgun... If intended to be strictly for HD than call a spade a shovel and refer to it as a home defense shotgun... If it is intended to be a hunting shotgun than it is a "field gun" if it is for both than call it a utility gun.

But IMNSHO, tactical is an offensive slur just as "assault" or "evil black" rifle...

But that is just me... maybe I am just gettin' old and crotchety.

Brent
Old January 4, 2011, 10:49 PM   #11
TheKlawMan

To me a Home Defense shotgun is one designed for best use for that purpose whereas a Tactical Shotgun is designed for battle, which may include home defense but may also incude offensive operatiions. Hence the HD shotgun is often a cyllinder bore, while the tactical may have a fixed modified bore so as to enable a tighter pattern at longer distances. It may also have more accurate sights and a breecher barrel or choke and it will often have an extended magazine and perhaps someting to hang additional shells on. The HD gun is ofen kept to a bare minimum as far as accessories so as to best enable use in close quarters.
Old January 4, 2011, 10:52 PM   #12
SPUSCG

How bout tacticool?

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=5659
Old January 4, 2011, 11:18 PM   #13
jmortimer

As of today, the "fastest" semi-auto is the Winchester SX3 and "fastest" pump action is the Mossberg 500. The top three "tactical" shotguns are the FN SLP (Winchester SX2) the Bennelli M4 and the Mossberg 920 SPX.
Old January 5, 2011, 09:26 AM   #14
NightSleeper

Quote:
I am sure this is going to raise some comments, what would be considered the best tactical shotgun, please give examples of speed or performance. For me it is the Benelli M1, I can and have been able to shoot 8 shots of 2 3/4 00 buck in 2 seconds
I'm with you on that. I have a Benelli Nova with ghost ring sights and an extended mag.
Old January 5, 2011, 12:45 PM   #15
RoscoeC

Quote:
But that is just me... maybe I am just gettin' old and crotchety.
Heh, Heh, Heh, ok, but what about your "shotty"?

Couldn't resist.
NRA Life Member
Old January 5, 2011, 04:38 PM   #16
markj

Quote:
All it takes is a can of flat black spray paint then voila it is tactical why I seen horses tactical... cats, even a gun. But you must wear them black pants that have huge pockets, some black face paint and a gilly suit made from local vegetation.........

Too much work for me, I will just use the 1300 I hunt with, I must be lazy...
Old January 5, 2011, 05:30 PM   #17
DRT300

870 with mag extension and 18.5" barrel.
Old January 5, 2011, 07:44 PM   #18
Nnobby45

Guess I'll have to contact Wilson Combat and tell them to redesign their catalog. Tactical Shotguns, Tactical Rifles, Tactical Assault and Tactical Paddle holsters, tactical light, tactical..............well, lots of tactical stuff.

Better to lighten up and realize that tactical just means combat, LE, or SD. My tactical Scattergun Tech is set up with iron sights, Surefire Fore End, side saddle. My Border Patrol is set up similar, without the fore end--both with 18 1/2 " bbls.

Yes, they can be used for hunting, but are set up quite differently than shotguns design for such purpose. IMO, a hunting shotgun is more easily used in a "tactical" situation than the opposite.

Getting back to the purpose of the thread, the 870 has proven itself as a rugged, reliable shotgun for hunting, targets, or tactical.

Last edited by Nnobby45; January 5, 2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old January 5, 2011, 10:20 PM   #19
PT-92

I am happy with both my Remington 1187 Police and Saiga 12.

-Cheers
Old January 5, 2011, 10:59 PM   #20
Crosshair

For "Motel Guns" AOWs rule the roost if you can handle the recoil. Short enough to pack away in an overnight bag or a laptop bag, so they can be packed and moved without drawing attention, but delivering firepower comparable to their full sized counterparts.

You also don't need an ATF Form 5320.20 to take them across state lines. I take my Kimmel Kamper with me all the time on the many overnight trips I have to make.
Old January 6, 2011, 01:20 AM   #21
Scattergun Bob

The word tactical has no meaning in regard to hardware, it is simply a marketing touch stone to separate you and I from $$$$. Tactics is the mental process that melds humans with hardware; it is a statement of human readiness not of hardware design. In my mind Dogs is 100% rock solid correct in his statements, humans are either tactical or not, hardware simply is.

The shorthand of “tactical” meaning some how better or more lethal in my mind has become boring and it is time to move on. The industry has, the new cash cow has become “long range” and “sniper”, thank god.

NOBBY 45 – just to clear the air, Wilson purchased the right to manufacture Scattergun Technologies shotguns, no where in Scattergun Tech original catalogues did the word tactical representing their hardware appear, they knew better. Simply because a company jumps on the “hot key” market strategy to sell more guns, does not make the word usable or correct.
I tend to call serious social work shotguns, fighting scatterguns. It is simply my short hand for a scattergun that exhibits the traits I find necessary in a defensive weapon. We here have spent lots of space on what makes a good one, a simple review of our previous posts has lots to say.

As my mentor frequently stated, "the best fighting shotgun is the one your body is wrapped around when the stuff hits the fan."
Good Luck & Be Safe
Old January 6, 2011, 02:57 AM   #22
zippy13

Brent,
Great tactical toilet paper analogy -- well done.
I don't want to hazard a guess about its camo pattern.
Old January 6, 2011, 09:08 AM   #23
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Ladies, Gennulmen and Liberals, my $.02....

'Tactical" is as over and misused as "New and Improved" and for much the same reason.

When it comes to human life or death hinging on the outcome of a crisis involving firearms, I prefer the term "Serious". But maybe that's just me.

Darn near ANY reliable shotgun is capable of good service in an emergency If the operator is capable of using it effectively.

Aye, there's the rub. Using it effectively means we have to shoot the thing, or a similar tool.

16th century swordsman and instructor Guillaime De Coucy said that one should practice with the blade until one forgets where the sword ends and the hand starts. Still good advice.

Here's more.....

Pick a well made and known brand of shotgun. It should be reliable, easily maintained, comfortable to operate and capable of being handled ungently.

Next, buy ammo, use up and repeat until you know your weapon down on the muscular memory level, well enough to function at zero dark 30, ten seconds out of a sound sleep in low light, because you may need to....

Tactical, Schmactical. In that situation it doesn't matter what color your shotgun is, whose catalog is bolted to it, or if Cirillo, Ayoob or Copper have blessed it with Holy Hoppe's 9.

It just matters if you can use it.......
Old January 6, 2011, 09:17 AM   #24
johnbt

"8 shots of 2 3/4 00 buck in 2 seconds"

But did you hit anything?

Seriously. This is important.
Old January 6, 2011, 10:00 AM   #25
Fargazer

Take a look at J.D. McGuire's site; he has some good information about what constitutes "tactical". Big adherent to "KISS" and "know your weapon", rather than geegaws and baubles.