The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 6, 2015, 01:38 AM   #1
idkfa

Comparing the Ruger GP100 and S&W 686

Good morning all,

I'm very interested in a revolver and I'm somewhat leaning towards the GP100 based off of reviews and price. However, the S&W is a beautiful firearm with a great reputation. Any feedback or experience would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Old April 6, 2015, 04:33 AM   #2
CajunBass

I'd call it a toss up. Get the one you like best or can get the best price on, or that fits your hand best...whatever.

There probably isn't a dimes worth of difference. Sort of a Ford/Chevy debate.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old April 6, 2015, 05:05 AM   #3
PzGren

idkfa,

welcome to this forum. There is actually a pretty good search function on this forum that will yield many results on this recurring topic. Enjoy the instant gratification that crawling through dozens of threads gives you...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/sear...archid=8318384
Old April 6, 2015, 07:40 AM   #4
Slimjim9

That link doesn't work for me but here are some that do:
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...firingline.com
https://www.google.com/search?q=gp10...essonforum.com
Old April 6, 2015, 07:52 AM   #5
UncleEd

Probably a toss up.

For the 686, if it's new some will raise objections to its internal lock with the key hole on the left side, the molded triggers and hammers but I don't count them for much as negatives.

Regarding the GP 100, don't forget in that lineup the Match Champion version which doesn't have the heavy barrel underlug and has some features the regular GP 100 doesn't have such as an expected slicked up trigger, Novak sights. The regular GP 100 also has a very good DA trigger.

Regarding the used market, the GP 100 is probably more available and the 686 will still command a higher price in the used market. For a regular GP 100 or a regular 686 I'd be happy with either.

But I do favor the Match Champion from Ruger. It's still a GP 100 but really a different cat than the standard heavy barreled model.

(For a current comment, see Doc Holliday 1950s posting "Ideas for my new Ruger" in this Revolver section.)

Last edited by UncleEd; April 6, 2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old April 6, 2015, 08:09 AM   #6
NoSecondBest

I have two 686s and one 586. I've probably shot a hundred thousand rounds of 357 over the last 45 years and I've owned quite a few different revolvers and a couple of rifles in 357. It's my favorite caliber in handgun. I've had Rugers and they shot well and are very strongly built. However, personally I prefer the 686. Each one I own is superbly accurate and the fit and finish is spot on. For a hunting gun it won't make much difference which one you get. Just for the asthetics alone, I prefer the SW over the Ruger.
Old April 6, 2015, 09:34 AM   #7
DavidAGO

I own both, shoot the Ruger more but I like the S&W more. Nicer trigger on the Smith by far.

David
Old April 6, 2015, 10:36 AM   #8
Model12Win

I prefer to give my money to companies that haven't caved to political anti-gun pressure, and in the process ruin the looks of all the guns they make, and also those which add features pandering to the protectionists but which really end up making the gun less reliable when you might need it most.

I don't think I need to make it any clearer, make it a Ruger for this cowboy.

That, and the GP100s these days are darn near every bit as well fit and finished as the S&W guns, are built even stronger, are every bit as accurate, have great triggers that smooth out beautifully over time, and have modern and extremely durable and rugged lockwork. Even if S&W ever got rid of the internal locks, I think I'd still go Ruger... oh, and did I mention new GP100s go for less than new 686s?

The choice is clear, and Ruger is the answer.
Old April 6, 2015, 11:51 AM   #9
weblance

I bought a new 686 PLUS 4", and a new 4" GP100 in 2012. I wanted to see which one I liked better. The newly manufactured Smiths have lousy triggers. The trigger would hit a wall, right before the break, and I would jerk it off target every time. The GP100 has a very predictable trigger. Its a bit longer than the Smith, but stages perfectly, and feels much better to me. I traded away the 686 PLUS for a NIB Vintage 6" stainless GP, and couldnt be happier.
Old April 6, 2015, 12:05 PM   #10
Sevens

Quote:
I prefer to give my money to companies that haven't caved to political anti-gun pressure, and in the process ruin the looks of all the guns they make, and also those which add features pandering to the protectionists but which really end up making the gun less reliable when you might need it most.
WHATEVER.
Short memory of Bill's 10-round magazines, magazine disconnect safeties and lawyer induced 75% of an instruction manual STAMPED on the barrel.

To the OP, my first choice is a Smith & Wesson 686 no dash, dash 1,2,3 or 4, from the used market. I truly believe that it is a (FAR) better deal to buy a lightly used one of these for the SAME OR MORE money than either a GP-100 or a new S&W 686.

In 2nd place is the GP-100.
In 3rd place is a new 686.

The lock on the side of S&W revolvers these days is not really a problem in any tangible way, but it is a large flag telling you that you are looking at an inferior product to the older S&W revolvers that do not have the lock.

The good news is that if you don't feel comfortable buying a used revolver, either a new GP-100 or a new S&W 686 will likely satisfy you very nicely. If you didn't grow up on pre-lock and extremely smooth S&W revolvers, you really won't realize what you're missing if you end up with a new 686 or GP-100.

In that way...
The GP-100 is probably a better value if only the two are considered.
Old April 6, 2015, 12:40 PM   #11
dgludwig

^^^ Agree with everything said here.
Old April 6, 2015, 01:02 PM   #12
T. O'Heir

Buy the one that fits your hand best. Had a Smith 19 for years I never could get to fit. My GP, that I've had since they first came here, fits my hand perfectly.
Factory triggers are irrelevant. All of 'em need fixing due to the frivolous U.S. law suits that caused all manufacturers to ship their stuff with crappy triggers.
"...companies that haven't caved..." Like who?
Old April 6, 2015, 01:36 PM   #13
idkfa

Many thanks for the ample input from everyone. Glad to be on a forum with so much information!! Based off of what I've read, looks like it's a super close call and I'd be happy with either model - although my gut has me goin' for the Ruger...
Old April 6, 2015, 02:57 PM   #14
RIDE-RED 350r

Lots of advice given here, and backed with real life experience and taste.

But, you owe it to yourself to handle each of the two preferably side by side if possible. Chances are, one or the other will speak to you and just feel right.

Both are well established brands with a long history of good products that are backed with good warantees should you have a problem.

I would buy a 686 from a no-dash model to a -6 over the GP.

In the interest of disclosure, I must admit that I am a S&W nut. I own current models as well as some older models. I find that the older models just have an edge on the new ones in certain aspects. All are excellent shooters and I am always proud to show them off if someone asks to have a look. I fully acknowledge that Ruger makes a good firearm. I just have never been a fan of the looks of their revolvers, save the SP101.
Old April 6, 2015, 03:57 PM   #15
dakota1911

Have both, but the data is aged as they are older variants. With the both 6 inch ones I have, the S&W has a little better trigger, but the Ruger seems to be built heavier. If I had to pick one to go out in the boonies with it would be the Ruger. I would pick the S&W to shoot targets at a range with.

Old April 7, 2015, 10:06 AM   #16
Model12Win

Quote:
WHATEVER.
Short memory of Bill's 10-round magazines, magazine disconnect safeties and lawyer induced 75% of an instruction manual STAMPED on the barrel.
WHATEVER yourself.

Bill Ruger is gone, and he took is anti-gun thinking with him. Ruger now makes all kinds of AR-15s etc. etc. that would have given 'ol Bill a stroke.

The new GP100s have a much less ostentatcious warning label on the barrel. Big deal, at least it doesn't have a STUPID poorly designed internal lock that RUINS the looks of the gun, and even the lines of the frame, just to appeal to the anti-gunners. Not to mention the issues with the lock engaging under recoil with the smaller guns, and how S&W wants to charge damn near twice what a Ruger costs but with the same quality all for the NAME of S&W which in fact is a shadow of it's former self.

Ruger is still going strong because it's modern, high-tech, and doesn't pretend it's something it's not.
Old April 7, 2015, 10:36 AM   #17
griffin12aaa

What post #10 said is spot on

I was in the same boat as u a couple of years ago. I ended up with 6 inch blued gp that i really like. If i had to do it again would probably go for a 4 inch instead. But you will definitely be more the happy with either!!

Smiths quality isnt what it once was but still awesome guns IMHO.

For the range, fun and plinking the 686.
For war, hell and SD the gp 100.
Old April 7, 2015, 10:42 AM   #18
INMY01TA

Smith. Lock or no lock, still nicer.
Old April 7, 2015, 10:51 AM   #19
TimSr

The only real solution is to find a store that has both, hold them, and dry fire them in single and double action, look at the price tages, and pick the one you like the feel of best. Both are fine guns only differentiated by personal preference, and even that might be hard to decide.
Old April 7, 2015, 03:31 PM   #20
RIDE-RED 350r

One thing I would like to add given the statements about the GP being built heavier.

While this certainly appears to be true, I contend that you or your grandkids could not wear out an L-frame Smith shooting thousand of rounds of any flavor of magnums even if you are half awake with your cleaning and maintenance habits.

I'm not saying the GP isn't built heavier, I'm just saying that durability isn't going to be a deal breaker issue between these two revolvers.
Old April 7, 2015, 06:23 PM   #21
Doc Holliday 1950

I went thru the same thing a couple of months ago.
I read everyone's comments, went out
And handled both and choose the
Ruger last month. One more thing.
My hand is a medium size hand and the
Ruger grip felt like it was
Hand made for me. Good luck!!!

Last edited by Doc Holliday 1950; April 7, 2015 at 06:39 PM.
Old April 7, 2015, 06:30 PM   #22
clang

I've owned both, my first .357 Mag was a 4" GP100, since then, I've also acquired a 686 and a 681 (fixed sight version of the 686). Both the S&Ws are pre-lock.

I like the S&W better. It looks and feels more refined, but is durable enough to last multiple generations of shooters. Grip on both of these guns can be changed, so you can get the feel you want.
Old April 7, 2015, 07:03 PM   #23
amd6547

I started buying older S&W's a few years ago, really liking the K-frame...particularly the Model 15.
Eventually, I had to have a 686, and found a 4" 686-1 for a bargain price. I shot it well, but I never bonded with it like my Model 15.
Sold it.
About a year and a half ago, I got a 3" GP100. I promptly replaced the Hogue grip with an original compact Lett grip.
Out of the box, the trigger was fantastic, both DA and SA. It rivals my older, very well used Smiths.
Pretty much, if I can see something out to 100yds, I hit it.
Old April 7, 2015, 07:47 PM   #24
Kreyzhorse

You can't go wrong with either. Seriously, which ever feels best to you and points the best should be what you go with.

They are both fantastic guns and both have many reasons why people swear by them.
Old April 9, 2015, 11:31 AM   #25
pete2

Re: Built heavier.

I think the Ruger is thicker because it's a casting and the extra metal is to make it stronger, S&W are forgings and don't need the extra metal. I've never shot a Ruger D/A that I like as well as the S&W. Different strokes for different folks tho.