The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 31, 2015, 01:20 PM   #1
Pawli

S&W 32-20 hand ejector

Just purchased 32-20 hand eject from my cousin ser#85xxx decent shape walnut grips. Was the 32-20 ammo black powder? What could I fire in it?
when approx was it mfg.? I think about 1918?
Thanks in advance
Pawli
Old March 31, 2015, 01:35 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Any current American commercial ammunition or equivalent handloads will be fine. The ammo companies stopped loading two kinds years ago.

Further, the whole "rifle" and "revolver" thing was misunderstood. At first there was only one load and it worked fine in both Colt and S&W revolvers, and in various rifles. But then came the cheap Spanish revolvers chambered for .32-20 because it was close to the French 8mm Lebel for which WWI revolvers had been made.

Those guns blew up with some regularity, so the ammo companies reduced the pressure of some of their ammo and labeled it for revolvers, even though quality revolvers had had no problems.

Jim
Old March 31, 2015, 03:04 PM   #3
SaxonPig

Any factory ammo will work. This is one of those calibers that requires loading your own due to cost and limited availability.

I have an early S&W 32-20. The stocks are from much later but I hate the early "service" style and swapped on the Magnas for comfort.

Old March 31, 2015, 07:32 PM   #4
A pause for the COZ

I picked one up for a good price this fall. Mine is old enough that it does not have the safty feature to be able to carry it with a round under the hammer.

If you stay in the range of listed loads in the lyman cast bullet hand book you will be fine.
They differentiate between rifle loads and older pistol loads.

Mine is a real good shooter.

Once you get one 32-20 and have collected the required loading equipment.
There is no reason to stop acquiring them.
Because the ammo is not readily available it means you can find good deals on some real nice guns.

Last edited by A pause for the COZ; March 31, 2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old March 31, 2015, 08:10 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Western, maybe Winchester, and possibly Peters loaded high velocity ammunition specifically for the Model 1892 rifle and marked the boxes that it was not to be used in Model 1873s or handguns.

Loads included .32-20, .38-40, and .44-40.

As it is now, lots of people either can't, or won't, read, and a lot of old Colts, S&Ws, and Winchesters were damaged beyond repair from shooting this ammo.

This box can be found at ammolady.com, a nice site if you're into collecting ammo boxes.

This ammo hasn't been loaded since probably before World War II.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 1, 2015, 12:11 AM   #6
salvadore

AFAIK, most commercial load are pretty mild probably below saami specs. I load Lyman 3118 pb cast in a Colt OP from 1931 and have had some luck with a hollow base WC from Hornady along with 3.5/3.7 grains of 231 for both bullets. This is the Colt with load listed above.

The WC load shoots one inch groups @ 50yds out of a Marlin 94 @ about 1000/1200fps, I'll chrono it some time. Probably use it for my ground squirrel shooter this spring. 32/20 one of my favorite catridges.