The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 2, 2014, 09:42 AM   #1
Mossybank

First Side Arm Purchase

My son was fishing on the river last weekend and caught a 6-7 pound catfish right at dusk. As he was pulling the fish up onto the bank a raccoon walked out of the woods and straight to him, the fish and rod. He attempted to scare it away with no luck. He got into his car and called my Dad that lives about a mile away. When my Dad arrived he could not scare the raccoon away and ended the ordeal with his 12 gauge. My son is now in the market for a side arm for small varmints and snakes. I am leaning towards a 22 revolver loaded with 22LR and shot shells. Any recommendations are appreciated.
Old May 2, 2014, 09:57 AM   #2
Ruger480

Good choice. But I would look for a 22 mag revolver, like the Ruger LCR. I like a little more umph though.
Old May 2, 2014, 11:00 AM   #3
buck460XVR

A .22 in either revolver or an auto-loader would be a good first handgun. I'd stay away from .22 shot tho, as they are pretty anemic, even against snakes at 5 feet.
Old May 2, 2014, 12:07 PM   #4
Deja vu

I have had rats survive a shot from 22lr shot shells. Id just go with normal 22lr ammo.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old May 2, 2014, 02:34 PM   #5
Dirty_Harry

I would just look at a good revolver in .357 mag. Shoot 38's through it for very little recoil and it will last him a lifetime.

I have personally shot a racoon 9 times with my .22 revolver......and it needed all 9! They can be tough!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old May 2, 2014, 03:10 PM   #6
Blindstitch

I like Dirty Harrys suggestion but a 22lr/mag would be quick/easy and cheap depending on what you get.
Old May 2, 2014, 04:46 PM   #7
RHoovDawg

Get a good revolver in .32/20 and .32 H&R Mag with interchangeable cylinders. The .32/20 is a pussycat to shoot but if you load it hot it is deadly on small game and real flat shooting. The .32 Mag has a little more oomph. You also gain the benefit of being able to use two different type of ammo if you can't find one or the other.

The same can be said of a .357 but you'll either be carrying a heavier gun or putting up with more recoil when you need a follow-up shot.
Old May 2, 2014, 06:51 PM   #8
Gbnk82

I'd look into the smith and Wesson governor or the Taurus judge..you could load 410 shot shell in it for small varmint defense and IMO would be a much better pick for all around varmint protection..it will be much more useful for snakes also
Old May 2, 2014, 07:03 PM   #9
Ruger480

I'd like to change my earlier answer to the Taurus Judge.
Old May 2, 2014, 07:19 PM   #10
Wyosmith

From what you are saying so far I'd have to recommend a good Stainless steel S&W or Ruger 38 Special. A 357 mag can be had and it will take 38 special ammo if you think the additional power may be useful from time to time.

The 38 Spl is easy to load for, highly accurate, versatile and doesn't kick very hard. For an outdoorsman’s gun or fisherman’s gun I think it would be a very good option.
Old May 3, 2014, 10:01 AM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I mostly agree with Wyosmith, with some variations on the theme. Stainless is good but I don't see it as a necessity. Relatively light weight would be part of my consideration, also. (I have a Ruger SP 101, which I've found to be a really top-notch revolver. Not the lightest, but very easy to shoot accurately.)

I recall a coroner's report from when I was on a jury: Any one of the five HydraShok .38 hits from a Model 36 S&W would have been fatal to the deceased. Nowadays, the .38 +P loads are available.

I'd rather have a 3" or 4" barrel than a snubby, for a field-use handgun. Easier to aim accurately.

After all that, it's just a matter of money.

My CHL gun is a S&W 642CT, which gives a whole new meaning to "Light 'em up!" Quite accurate, really. With it, I'd certainly not worry about a raccoon or a coyote, up close and personal.
Old May 3, 2014, 10:21 AM   #12
Nathan

Personally, for a fishing gun, I would much rather have a Glock 19. First, your most likely attacker is 2 legged. Second, if I fall in the mud, I could field strip it, rinse it off in muddy water, reload and just move on until I got home to clean and re-oil. . .Frankly, I would be bothered doing this with most guns, but not my Glock.

I agree that for a rabid coon, a 38 would be best, but a 9mm is not much different.

Also, if he forgets to clean it for like a year or 1000 rounds, a Glock will not mind. He should oil up a few points to keep it all happy every shooting session or every 6 months.

Most guns carried outside need a bit more care.
Old May 3, 2014, 10:54 AM   #13
10-96

[QUOTEI'd stay away from .22 shot tho, as they are pretty anemic, even against snakes at 5 feet.][/QUOTE] +1 big time! When I was stationed at Ft. Knox, I had a landlady hand me a .25ACP to dispatch a rabid (or otherwise sick) racoon. That thing digested six rounds from that pocket pistol paper weight, developed ill feelings towards me, and the race was on. After getting my S&W Model 10- I gave it two for medicinal purposes, two for causing me to join a barefooted foot race, and one for good measure. I believe they were plain old lead wadcutters, and I'm sure it didn't need the last 4 pills, but they did help my disposition a great deal.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 3, 2014, 11:42 AM   #14
WIN1886

versatile caliber !

I'm a big fan of the 22 LR for target , plinking , and some small game harvesting but for field carry a handy .357 revolver is hard to beat !
Old May 3, 2014, 03:19 PM   #15
Gbnk82

The 22 and 357 are good suggestions but I don't think they are advisable..don't be offended by this but from the way you phrase your question it doesn't seem like the sidearm will be practiced with much which just justices getting something that shoots 410 even more..if you don't get enough practice with your sidearm you will be inaccurate and ineffective with it..with either the judge or governor you will get a little spread with the shotshell making it easier to hit what you are aiming for..then down the road if you get comfortable with it load it up with 45lc or 45 acp in the governor..

I'd personly go with the governor not just because of quality but for the simple fact you get 1 extra round and can chamber 45 acp also for cheaper shooting or practice
Old May 3, 2014, 07:19 PM   #16
upstate81

+1 on the Glock suggestion. They are Very rugged and reliable pistols at a fantastic price. Not to mention they can be had everywhere in a wide selection of calibers and sizes. He wasnt joking about dropping it in the mud/water quick rinse and good to go. If needed it can serve as a carry weapon as well. You dont want a Taurus pistol they are not the best quality and have terrible resale values to boot!
Old May 4, 2014, 06:01 PM   #17
Picher

I have two Model 19 S&Ws, a 2 1/2" and a 4". They're great shooters!!!

Someone told me recently that the 2 1/2" model is in high demand by horsemen out west. They put snake loads in the first couple of chambers and solids or hollow points for the rest.

I feel really safe with my 4" Mod. 19. It's devastating on smaller animals with hollow-base wadcutters loaded backwards. Perfect for that rabid raccoon or porqupine. Hollowpoint 125 grain jacketed bullets are good killers for larger critters.
Old May 4, 2014, 08:04 PM   #18
10-96

Quote:
devastating on smaller animals with hollow-base wadcutters loaded backwards. Perfect for that rabid raccoon or
Honestly now. Unless gut shot- even a LRN .32 S&W Long will dispatch a raccoon, porcupine, or even those 'roid raging body builder Oklahoma opossums. No need to encourage a guy who's never owned a pistol to start thinking he's gotta turn bullets backwards and such. The one's I shot with plain old LWC .38's are still quite dead as far as I know.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 4, 2014, 11:00 PM   #19
TimSr

If he's going to plink and target shoot with it a lot, The Ruger Single Six in 6" is a great gun for your purposes. It comes with both .22LR and .22mag cylinders which will handily dispatch small critters.

If he's not going to shoot it much, and its strictly for protection, I'd opt for something in .357 with 6" barrel. My GP100 is quite comfortable to carry in a belted holster.
Old May 5, 2014, 12:55 PM   #20
Jay24bal

I agree with a couple other folks and would recommend the Taurus Judge.

This may be one application where it is perfectly suited.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old May 6, 2014, 10:06 AM   #21
doofus47

Since this seems to be an unexpected event, I would assume that encounters with belligerent wildlife is not the norm.
I'd say a .22LR or 22mag would be sufficient.
I like my SR22 with CCI minimags.
It's light and accurate and dependable and holds 10 shots (+1).
it's something you can carry and forget about.
Old May 6, 2014, 12:33 PM   #22
savagecornmuffin

I would suggest the shortest revolver that you can legally hunt with in your state in .44 mag or .357 mag. Why? "Specials" are available for both. Magnum cartridge are suitable for hunting. Shotshell carts are available for both. Minimum hunting length He'll so you'll have the option.

I'm not knocking 22lr. Its already been mentioned so I'm tossing out another option.
Old May 8, 2014, 10:23 PM   #23
ZeroJunk

A few years ago I had an opossum that kept eating my cat food in the car port. No big deal, but when I came home at night half the time he would startle me because I had to walk over toward where I fed the cat to turn the light on. So, I did away with him using a 22 Ruger. He seemed to ignore the first couple of shots as I didn't think to shoot him in the head and didn't want a bunch of lead flying back at me off concrete and block in case I missed. I was a little surprised at how little effect the 22 solids had. He finally succumbed in what seemed like too long.
Old May 9, 2014, 09:14 AM   #24
Sure Shot Mc Gee

First handgun should always be Top Shelf. I'd recommend a revolver. Simple straight forward ease of operation. Consider a hand gun that has a barrel no shorter than 4" and one having Adjustable Barrel Sights. As that should be a priority before one's purchase. Smith & Wesson Model's 17 or 617. It will be the only handgun your son will never sell, trade and one he most definitely will not borrow out. They come in either blued or stainless steel.
Primarily carried and used outside in the open air. I again would suggest S&W's stainless (617) model.
Old May 9, 2014, 10:27 AM   #25
buck460XVR

For many years I ran with houndsmen chasing coons. All we ever took with us was a .22 LR. In all the years of hunting then and now, never saw a healthy wild one be aggressive towards humans. Sick ones were always easy to get way from. Mossybank doesn't tell us his son's age or whether he has any previous experience with handguns. For a first handgun, there is no better recommendation than a .22 rimfire. For the occasional shot at small critters while fishing, a .22 will hurt less without ear protection than a .38 or .357.