The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 30, 2013, 02:34 PM   #1
armoredman

Odd holster review

It’s not often that I can’t show you a great new High Noon holster without the sidearm it’s designed for, but this is a special case – I don’t own the Glock 19. It’s issued to me. Not making sense? Let me explain.

First, this excellent High Noon Slide Guard came to me in the mail a week or so ago, and typical of High Noon products, it rocks. The sweat shield in back is as always, thick medieval armor, and this one had a soft lining, a touch I usually don’t get, but definitely a nice touch.

But I can’t show the gun in it, because cameras aren’t allowed. See, this holster was going no High Noon holster has been before – behind the forbidding grey walls and shiny razor wire of an Arizona prison.

Most people don’t think about firearms and prisons, but we do have some armed posts, and because they are few in number, the sidearms are issued for that shift and turned back in afterwards. Holsters tend to be generic plastic paddle rigs made overseas, selling for about $20 on the street here. They are cheap, fragile, and have as much class as an empty plastic drink cup rolling in the street. I have used them for 11 years – no more.

Now I go to work in STYLE!

Yes, for the sharp eyed, the whole carry system is High Noon – one each High Noon Slide Guard Holster, a High Noon Rock Steady belt, and what else?

Yep, a High Noon Double Take spare mag holder!!

So why go to this extreme? The armed post I work is VERY visible to Administration, visitors and volunteers, and projecting a positive image is always important. As a matter of fact, everyone comes in and out past me, so they can’t HELP but notice the cheap scuffed plastic holster…just isn’t there.

Did I get comments? Did I ever – ranging from “Awesome!” to “How much and where do I go look?” A few staff who also work in that same post were interested to see if I was going to leave the rig behind…fat chance…
Some noticed, a few didn’t, but all in all, High Noon’s carry system helped not only keep my sidearm and spare magazines right where I wanted them with no movement on that excellent belt, but also helped me look good in my profession, and that’s a benefit that has no price tag.

Now if I can get them to make a pepper spray holder...
Old July 1, 2013, 08:10 AM   #2
PawPaw

Good on ya! Durable duty gear is always a plus. You're right that not many people think about gun in prisons, but there are generally more than a few.

I retired in 2000 from the Louisiana DOC, so I spent a goodly portion of my 20 years in jails and prisons. For the most part, I was dismayed at the quality of the duty gear. As in most state contracts, the contract went to the lowest bidder and we worked with it. Some few of us purchased our own gear.

Might I suggest that you consider a retention holster? I agree that the High Noon seems to be a well made holster, but a retention device seems to be lacking. Recently, some companies have made great strides in handgun retention, and you (working in a prison) should have access to those advances.

For myself, I like the Safariland SLS/ALS system. For duty work, I like the Safariland 6360. I consider it the very best retention holster made today. It's pricey, but comes with peace of mind. For general plain clothes work, I like the little brother of the line, the Model 6377. I have three of these holsters, for a SW M&P, for a 1911, and for a Smith J frame. These are very nice little retention holsters and have a very attractive price point.

Still, the High Noon is a very attractive holster. Wear it well, and by all means, be careful out there.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old July 1, 2013, 06:35 PM   #3
Kreyzhorse

Great post Armoredman. High Noon makes great holsters and they are one of my favorite makers.
Old July 2, 2013, 01:15 PM   #4
armoredman

PawPaw, we don't allow sidearms where inmates have access to them. For transports and outside work crews, absolutely I would use a retention rig, but I don't do those jobs, and the Dept issues the same plastic garbage no matter where you are going...
Old July 2, 2013, 05:18 PM   #5
PawPaw

Quote:
PawPaw, we don't allow sidearms where inmates have access to them.
I understand that. But, you wear a weapon where the general public has access to it? And you wear it on your belt as an open-carry holster? Just asking questions here, boss.

It is a nice holster, and I own a couple like it. Not the brand, necessarily, but basic Level 0 holsters. I like 'em fine, but I ask myself these same questions.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old July 3, 2013, 12:07 PM   #6
armoredman

I carry a firearm that I have access to - we have weapons retention training, and while some retention holsters are fine, the Dept does not pay for them.
Situational awareness is 99% of weapons retention. Also, we don't generally go armed in the GENERAL public without at least two, if not three of us at a time.
I've carried openly in AZ for years with non retention holsters, (since...1985, IIRC), and haven't had any issues yet. Generally I do carry concealed off duty, I'll concede that - with an open top level 0 rig.
But to the REAL crux of the your question - where I'm wearing THIS rig at work, nobody can get to me. Period.