The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 10, 2012, 05:49 PM   #1
Bob Wright

I'll Take a Smith Model 586........

While ya'll are waxing eleoquent about the Highway Patrolman Model 28, take a look a my preference, the Model 586 Distinguished Combat Magnum:

That's my two on the left, next to a couple of my Model 19s. I latched onto the 4" gun shortly after Smith & Wesson introduced them, and never looked for another DA .357 Magnum.

The N-Framed Smiths were a little too large for my hand for good DA shootiong, the L-Frames just Wright. And the 586's longer cylinder digested my 173 gr. cast bullets crimped IN THE CRIMPING GROOVE.

As far as I'm concerned, the L-Framed blued Smiths are the ultimate DA .357 Magnum revolver. There's not a finer smallbore revolver made.

Bob Wright
Old July 10, 2012, 06:01 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The premier S&W .357 was always the gun that was just called the "357 Magnum", later called the Model 27. The Model 28 was the "low priced spread"; identical to the Model 27 but not as nicely polished and blued, it was intended for sale to police departments who wanted the .357 Magnum capability, but had to work within budgetary constraints. Both are fine guns, but most folks who own pre- and Model 27's rarely shoot them as they are quite valuable, especially the early "Registered" ones.

Then S&W had requests from law enforcement agencies, notably Bill Jordan of the Border Patrol, for a lighter .357. S&W obliged by making one on the K-frame, the Combat Magnum, which later became the superb Model 19.

But the configuration of the K frame meant that the forcing cone area of the barrel was not as strong as in the larger revolvers, and a diet of full house magnum loads tended to crack it. S&W's response was the 586/686 (5 means carbon steel, 6 means stainless), which has the grip size of the K frame but a larger top, though not as large as the older N frame.

They are all fine guns.

Jim
Old July 10, 2012, 07:53 PM   #3
Bob Wright

I like a muzzle heavy revolver, thus my preference for the Model 586. I had hoped at one time to build up a Model 19 with a 4" full lug barrel, as the Model 19 had a slightly lower sighting plane. I carried both the Model 586 and the Model 19 (2 1/2") for a long time as my daily carry guns until going to the Ruger Blackhawk .44 Special.

I've had considerable experience with both the Model 27 and Model 28, as well as a Colt Python, but still consider the Model 586 the ultimate .357 Magnum DA revolver.

Bob Wright
Old July 10, 2012, 08:22 PM   #4
MrBorland

Quote:
The N-Framed Smiths were a little too large for my hand for good DA shootiong, the L-Frames just Wright.
Yep. I love a good K- and N-frame as much as anyone, but when things speed up, the L-frame just feels best to me. I love the 586, but don't want to worry about a nice blued finish getting abused, so I opt for it's stainless 686 sibling:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost....8&postcount=23
Old July 11, 2012, 09:44 AM   #5
Jayhawkhuntclub

I'm in agreement with Mr.Borland. I love the full underlug. But I don't love me dinging up the bluing. Thus, I'll take the 686. But those are some nice looking irons you have Bob.
Old July 11, 2012, 09:58 AM   #6
Jeff #111

Yep those are some good looking revolvers. I've always been a fan of the K frame regardless of the caliber.
Old July 11, 2012, 10:08 AM   #7
18DAI

Very nice sixguns Bob Wright. The 586 is a beautiful revolver, no doubt.

I'll take the snubby 19 on the right though. Regards 18DAI
Old July 11, 2012, 03:26 PM   #8
dgludwig

A nice fleet of Smith revolvers, Bob. And welcome to TFL!
Old July 11, 2012, 04:35 PM   #9
rep1954

They are all nice Bob but I got to say I take a special shining to that 4" half lug. Welcome to the forum.
Old July 11, 2012, 04:53 PM   #10
azsixshooter

You have excellent taste Bob! That's a good-looking stable of workhorses there!

I'm also a sucker for the old 586/686 and Model 19's. I passed on a gorgeous Model 19 at a show in Mesa once. I walked around a bit and then came to my senses and rushed back with the $400 in my hand only to see the seller handing across the table to an old man with a great big smile on his face.

I was saving up for a new truck at the time or I wouldn't have made that mistake!

Thanks for sharing your nice pics and welcome to the forum!
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html
Old July 12, 2012, 04:12 AM   #11
pmeisel

I love my model 19. But if a 586 showed up I wouldn't ask her to leave...