The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 28, 2010, 08:35 PM   #126
e-bear

When I was a teenager back in '65 or '66 or so I was visiting my cousins down in the low country of SC. My cousin and I took the 22s out for some small furry game hunting. We had shot a few bushytails and had them stowed in the truck when I saw what I took to be a large squirrel nest. Not knowing any better at the time I shot into the nest. Out pops a BIG WHITE furry critter like something Ive never seen. A couple more shots as it ran along a tree limb and it tumbled to the ground. It turned out to be an albino raccoon.
My cousin skinned it and hung the pelt on a wall of the barn. It has long since disappeared and no one really knows what happened to it all those years ago. That was cool.

A year or so ago I saw an albino deer on the side of the highway as my wife and I were driving to an organized hunt. My wife was driving and I was kinda watching in the headlight beams for deer. At first I took it to be a large dog but as we passed I realized in that brief moment what it was. When we got to the hunt I mentioned what I had seen and another fellow there emphatically exclaimed to his compatriots, "See, I told you I saw a white deer. He saw it too."
Man, that was way cool.
Old March 3, 2010, 08:00 PM   #127
fallow fellow

fallow fellow

I live and hunt in australia. I was hunting along acreek bed one afternoon and came across a small kangeroo and a fox playing a game of chaseies.I got a nice pig not long after so it was a good afternoon.
Old March 4, 2010, 07:29 AM   #128
joeseabee

I saw a guy at a check station wanting to know if he could ceck in a deer he killed with a knife. He was completely serious. His plan was to hide in a tree above a trail, jump out on the deer, and stick him in the side. After the guy running the station stopped laughing, he told him that he had to stick a buck and to bring it in when he gets it. Never saw the guy again...
Old March 5, 2010, 08:39 AM   #129
Uncle Buck

Yesterday in the barn, my nephew and I were standing there talking when all of a sudden there was a heck-of-a racket from the barn yard. We looked out and saw five squirrels acting like they were in a tag team wrestling match.

I drew my .38 special pistol and my nephew picked up the .410 shotgun. He counted one, two, three and fired. I expected the pack of squirrels to disburse, but three of them kept fighting so he fired again. The lone survivor of that second shot ran off about three feet, looked back at his dead friends and then returned and started attacking the one of the dead squirrels. I got him with the pistol.

I have never seen so many squirrel fight like that at once. Usually just two or three, and I have never seen them hang around for a second or third shot. The best part was that once we saw them, neither one of us said another word. My nephew was thinking just like I was.

Three of them went to the stew pot and the other two were given to the pigs.
Old March 5, 2010, 10:34 AM   #130
spotter123654

n.h. in the woods with fisher cats can be very eerie experiences
Old March 6, 2010, 12:33 PM   #131
Pahoo

What the heck was that ??

One beautiful morning while deer hunting in Alabama, I was sitting in my stand that was located on top of a small dike. On one side was a small pond and on the other, a moonshiner's still. They had tapped water from the pond, for the cooling process. Anyway, was totally occupied watching two otters playing in the pond. They were really having a great time. All of a sudden something hit me real hard on the back of my head. So hard, that it knocked my hat off. Gathered my senses and looked around trying to determine what hit me. There in the branches above and in front of my stand, was the biggest owl I had ever seen. Must have been him and he was looking me over for another pass.
Did not know they could hit so hard. Kind of reminded me of some of the hits I took in parochial school. I kept my eye on him and he on me till he finally flew off. Got to watch those owls. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 26, 2012, 09:10 AM   #132
americanworkmule

All of you have seen some really cool and unusual things. The only thing that has happened to me was a head on collision with a red tail hawk while motorcycle riding.

...this thread seems too interesting to let it fade away.
Old March 26, 2012, 02:02 PM   #133
Clifford L. Hughes

pahoo:

Many years ago I saw a golden eagle pearched on and antelope fawn's back and feeding form a wound. The fawn couldn't dislodge the eagle so I chased the eagle away. I stood guard until the fawn laid down among the bolders. I knew that the eagle would return but maybe I gave the fawn a chance.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old March 26, 2012, 03:12 PM   #134
Pahoo

Hunter's Conflict? Perhaps

Quote:
I knew that the eagle would return but maybe I gave the fawn a chance.
The anti-hunters can never understand that man is the only animal that would go out of his way to do something like this. Their only conclusion would be that you did this, in order to allow for the fawn to grow into a trophy buck. Some of my friends can't understand that running over a town squirrel, bothers me and then in the fall of the year, I can go shoot them out of the trees. ....

Last week a field mouse ran onto the hyway, in front of me. He stopped in the middle of the lane as I straddled him with my tires. Looked in the rear view and saw him run back into the ditch. Was happy that the little guy got a chance. Later, I saw a hawk, pounce on another field mouse and was happy for the hawk. Go figure !!! ....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 29, 2012, 03:55 AM   #135
BIG P

Hunting in Colorado a buddy & Myself set up ground blinds within seeing distance from each other about an hour into the hunt I heard the worsed screaming I ever heard His blind looked like it exploded and he was having some kind of attack jumpin & kickin & screaming.

Come to find out a badger got in the blind and was sure enough tearing his a$$ up.To the hospital we go, He's alright now But who would of seen that comming.?
Old March 29, 2012, 04:46 AM   #136
TheNatureBoy

I was hunting turkey for the first time with a friend of mine one saturday morning. He was about 100 yards or so across the field from me and I heard him shoot. He missed and the turkey was running towards me. I put the bead right on his throat and watched until he was about 5 yards from me. I stood up, squeezed the trigger and nothing happened. The safety was still on! By the time I got the safety off the it ran into the woods and disappeared! I mean I didn't hear a sound. I was standing about 2 yards in the bush and took my eye off of him for about 2 seconds. That was all Mr. Longbeard needed. Its funny now but it wasn't after it happened
Old March 29, 2012, 04:35 PM   #137
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Not so much strange as neat: I was sitting at the computer, staring sorta blankly out the window at a rock squirrel in the yard. Whamo! A peregrine falcon nailed him. He stayed there and ate from the squirrel for some ten minutes or more before flying away.
Old March 29, 2012, 07:19 PM   #138
BUFF

About 10 years ago I was squirrel hunting along a creek on some family land in central Texas. Looked behind me and about 50 yrds away was an emu. I went back to the truck to get my rifle thinking about smoked emu legs for supper. It had disappeared. Nobody in that area raised them. I have no idea where it came from or where it went after I saw it.

I was hunting on a buddy's place here in Kansas and saw nothing but the two back legs of a young buck hanging off a barbed wire fence. I think the deer had gotten hung up and the coyotes ate the rest of him.

My tells me that when he was a kid he would hunt rabbits with marbles that he would win in a marbles game. He shot a cotton tail with one in the head. He started to skin it when it woke up and tried to get away with no skin on. he said the dogs made short work of it when they caught up to it.
Old March 29, 2012, 07:39 PM   #139
MOshooter65202

Years and years ago when we were very young kids,my two cousins and I were out squirrel hunting when we saw a flying squirrel. One of my cousins shot the squirrel it was the first and only flying squirrel I've ever seen,which must be rare in MO.?

Quail hunting with the dogs we startled some deer,I guess one of the young deer lost track of the trail?
We watched that deer running while leaping a barb wire fence,the deer leaped right into a large oak tree breaking its neck and dying while dad was trying to prop the deer up.
Old April 1, 2012, 12:20 AM   #140
Shotgun693

Many years ago we'd go hunting for 10 days to 2 weeks at a time in the Texas Hill Country just south of Kerrville. We didn’t listen to the radio much and stayed around the property the whole time. During the middle of the day I heard aircraft coming. In a bit a flight of attack type helicopters stretching from North to South came flying over at near treetop level. I thought it was kinda odd but oh well. After they had passed out of hearing going back behind me toward the West, I heard jet engines, I mean really loud. So then from North to South across the sky at treetop level comes a flight of B52's also heading West. They were low enough that I could see the pilots and the rivets on the fuselage. After they passed over I told my Wife that we might ought to turn on the radio. Maybe they were doing war games, never heard nor read anything about it but at the time it kinda alarmed me.
Another time, maybe a couple of years later, my wife and I were walking the property line when we walked up on about a 20 year old boy sun bathing in the nude. We had a little confrontation. He thought he was on his Grandfather’s property way up the hill from us. The next day his friend came stalking into our place thinking he was on Grandfather’s place too. Later I invited him and his friend to leave my part of Texas.
Old April 1, 2012, 07:38 AM   #141
Hansam

I must not have been around long enough or out in the woods enough because I really haven't seen anything too strange.

The strangest thing I'd seen (not so strange but just interestingly stupid) was watching my arrow ricochet off a 4-pointer's rack and stick itself in a nearby tree. That was the interesting part. The stupid part... I was aiming for just behind the shoulders and it was a clear broadside shot.

That was the last time I ever tried taking a shot at a deer with a bow beyond 25yds.
Old April 3, 2012, 10:44 AM   #142
aarondhgraham

It wasn't pink but it was an elephant,,,

A long time ago in a land far away,,,
I used to live just east of Galt, California,,,
Very close to the Rancho Seco nuclear power plant,,,
I had a great view of the cooling towers right out of my bedroom window.

I'm driving the back road to my place late one evening,,,
Up in the road ahead of me was a tusked elephant,,,
I was "altered" and thought I was hallucinating.

It turned out to be a real elephant that was out on a walkabout,,,
It had gotten loose from the refuge founded by Amanda Blake (Miss Kitty).

It's a real sanctuary and not a zoo,,,
Therefore there aren't any signs on display,,,
I had been driving by it for over a year and never knew.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old April 3, 2012, 03:08 PM   #143
L_Killkenny

Was out squirrel hunting one fine thanksgiving morning when I look down the trail and see a pile of clothes and a naked guy jogging down the trail at the local public greenbelt. Saw him a little while later undressing again a little ways away and running off. Sherrif's dept. thought I was off my rocker

LK
Old April 3, 2012, 03:25 PM   #144
dlb0412

A light brown mountain lion in south alabama watched it for about 1 minute. It came down a bluff 40 yard away from me and went into a creek bottom and sat down with its back against a tree looking around for about 30 seconds then ran off into the swamp. The weird thing is theres not suppose to be any in alabama. I told a game warden he said it must have been a bobcat he acted like i was making it up but im 100% sure of what i saw. It was the color of a deer and would go over 100 pounds its tail was very long and fat. Its the only one i have ever seen it was 10 years ago.
Old April 3, 2012, 10:19 PM   #145
Deja vu

MY father set out a doe decoy a few years past. One day we went out fishing and we hear a real racket in the woods. We find that a young buck (during the rut) found the decoy and thought it was his new girl friend. When he finally figured out it was made of plastic he got real mad and tried to "kill" it.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old April 3, 2012, 10:44 PM   #146
Bel5191

I don't have anything to top what's been posted but I've had a couple close encounters with friendly snakes. I set up at the base of a big tree in turkey season and about 10 minutes later glance at the tree. There was a 6 foot blacksnake wrapped around the tree. Needless to say I relocated.

Another time I was sitting there on the ground and heard the leaves rustling. I look and see a garter snake about 3 feet from me. Being the bright lad I am, I poke it with my gun barrel. It pauses for a second, then comes straight at me like lightning. I don't think it saw me, it just happened to head my way. I jumped up and it passed directly under me. I watch for snakes now.
Old April 4, 2012, 09:41 AM   #147
1hogfan83

I saw a mourning dove that made a nest by my apartment when I got back from summer break. Dang thing made it on the fire extingwhiser (sp) box right outside my room. Sure tasted good.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old April 4, 2012, 09:46 AM   #148
1hogfan83

Deer vs BWM at 140 on the autobahn

near forgot about this one, my dad is an insurance adjuster and he sent me this one a while back. Deer vs a BMW on the autobahn. I think they both lost.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DEER4.jpg (88.8 KB, 58 views)
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old April 4, 2012, 10:10 AM   #149
dalegribble

someone above posted a coyote story. here's mine. i was sitting at my desk in my home office looking out the window which faced the street. suddenly i noticed a coyote trotting northward on the street, it was about 10 am. i live in phoenix and the nearest open spaces are about 3 miles north of me. it kind of surprised me to see a coyote trot by my house especially that late in the morning although i have seen coyotes trotting along busy streets even deeper into the city during afternoons. once my wife and i saw what looked like thousands of geese in an open field right next to a very busy city street. it caused a big stir with the traffic driving by. i guess they were either lost or needed a break but i have never seen anything like that since. whenever i see something like that i am always surprised and i am always pleased.
Old April 5, 2012, 09:51 PM   #150
Ambishot

Pronghorn sex at about 400 yds away. The kicker was that about halfway through, a curious coyote rushed the group of 5 pronghorn; trying to harass the smaller does.