The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 9, 2009, 01:23 PM   #1
farmall

Pt 1911 Safety And Sight ??'s

I have a Taurus PT1911 that the factory ambi safety seems to have come apart inside. The RH side of it keeps working out and dosen't acticvate the other half of the safety. What is wrong? I'd like to change it over to a standard safety with a large lever....just eliminate the rh side. I put the soft Houge grips on when this problem started. Are the grips supposed to retain the safety? I have never been into a 1911 that far, but am no stranger to working on guns. Just wanted to know what to expect.

As for the sights, I'm an avid handloader and bullet caster, so I play around quite a bit with bullet weights. I'd like to fit a set of adjustable sights in place of the Straight 8's that are on it now. Does anyone make a set of adjustable sights that will fit without doing changing the dovetail cuts? I'd also like some kind of fiber optic front sight.
I really like this pistol, just want to fix a few things to make it the way I want it.
Thanks,
Andy
Old February 9, 2009, 01:26 PM   #2
goodspeed(TPF)

Put the ORIGINAL grips back on and see if the problem goes away. Come back and post here to let us know.

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old February 9, 2009, 03:27 PM   #3
farmall

Yes, the original grip apparently retains the RH side of the safety. That is why I'm wanting to eliminate the ambidextrous safety. Or wondering if something else holds the two halves of the safety together.
Old February 13, 2009, 09:55 AM   #4
daywalker627

Farmall,
Not sure if you got the problem with your safety fixed or not. I had just bought a PT1911 in December. I had not messed with the grips or anything. It has the Ambi as well. I went to the range and put 100 rounds through it for breaking in period. A couple days later, I pulled the 1911 out of holster, and the safety fell out. In my case it was the left side safety. Needless to say, I had to send it back to Taurus and waited 2 1/2 weeks for them to fix the problem. All they would tell me is that yes it broke and yes they replaced it, however, did not know why it broke.

If you were able to fix yours on your own, could you please let me know. I am intrested as well in just removing my new ambi and going with just the safety on the left side of the gun.

Thanks