The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 29, 2000, 02:52 PM   #1
dongun

For rifle rounds, is it possible to do neck sizing only with a full-length die? All my dies are RCBS full-length dies and I don't really want to spend the money to get a second set of dies for each cartridge. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old August 29, 2000, 04:48 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Sure! Just set the die in the press so the case doesn't go all the way into the die when the ram is in the "fully-up" position. I only resize the first 2/3 or 3/4 of the neck.

Been doing it that way since 1950.

Screw the die partway into the press. Run the case up. When you feel it hit the die, you're at the starting point. Run the die down a couple of turns and check the case neck. Keep going until you're at the 3/4 point on the neck. Then lock the die in place and go to work.

, Art
Old August 29, 2000, 11:58 PM   #3
Sub MOA

dongun,

Yep, Art's pretty much described it. It's called partial resizing. You don't hear a lot about it (my theory is there's a lot of writers in bed with the die manufacturers wanting to sell more dies). And when you do hear about partial sizing, it's usually less than a glowing report (go figure). I have a rifle that seems to shoot very well with this technique. You just need to be mindful that when partial resizing short-necked cases (which don't have a lot of neck tension to begin with) you resize enough of the neck to provide a good grip without the need for major amounts of crimping.

BTW, if you try this partial resizing and find it doesn't work well for you, you can hit the gun shows or local gun shops and probably scrounge up just the neck sizer die only for $15 or so. No need to buy a brand new set.

Sub
Old August 30, 2000, 10:15 PM   #4
Watchman

Hmmm...
I tried the partial resize bit with my .300 with very unsatisfactory results. It just would not do it. Of course, the .300 has a relativley short neck anyway.Reckon that would be the problem ? It dose'nt really matter , Ive been loading with neck sizing dies anyhow, but I just wondered.
Old August 30, 2000, 10:58 PM   #5
Contender

I've been doing that with the 35 Rem cartridge for years. The shoulder on this case is almost non existent. Use it in a Contender.

Watchman, do you have a failure to chamber with the 300 when you partial resize?

[This message has been edited by Contender (edited August 31, 2000).]
Old August 31, 2000, 01:15 PM   #6
Paul B.

I've found that partial resizing works well with some rounds, and not so well, to not at all with others. Now, I just buy the seperate neck sizing die and make my rifle die sets into 3 die sets. Save a lot of hassle for me.
Paul B.
Old August 31, 2000, 05:26 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Watchman: You're likely correct.

Now you know why folks like longnecks.

, Art
Old August 31, 2000, 09:33 PM   #8
JerryM

I have not found neck sizing with a FLR die to be satisfactory. I have tried it in a .243 and .270 and some Mags. I have gone to neck sizing only dies to neck size. You have to buy another die, but it is worth it not to have to lube the case and clean them up. I don't know if cases last longer if you neck size only as long as you can or not. I tend to think they do. Ultimately it is necessary to full length size. Jerry