The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 26, 2006, 01:44 PM   #1
Rachen

Just received my LeMat Navy

Hey guys, I just received my LeMat revolver, Navy model from Dixie Gunworks.
Their customer service was awesome and I received the package virtually overnight.

I read a lot of literature with LeMats in it, such as Cold Mountain, and the help you guys gave me on my last post was very helpful, but still, I was surprised when I opened the box. The pistol is absolutely magnificent, it was a bit heavy, but I quickly adjusted to the weight. I especially loved the way it just settled into my grasp, and the hammer notch rear sight and the triangle front just locked onto an object I was aiming at (not shooting yet)

I have a few questions though. Mec, can you please help me out?
The barrel latching pin was rather difficult to move. Pietta literature does not concern the removal of the pin. How do you get it to come out. Do you have to unscrew, or pull, or both?

Also, which part(s) of the revolver are more prone to breakage under normal use and carry?, so I can order a correct set of spare parts?

Regarding the fact that many LeMat shooters complained of the ramrod popping out due to recoil, I think I found the key---- The latch on the barrel that the rammer fits into, is actually a spring, if you push the rammer arm into the latch, the spring will close snugly around the rammer arm and probably not give you any problems.

Now a last question, does anybody know where to obtain a copy of "LeMat, The Man, The Gun", by Val Forgett Sr.?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Also saying hi to Smokin_Gun, George, Mousegun, Wayne and a whole lot of other fellas here and on Voy's Blackpowder forum.

Cheers,
Raymond
Old July 26, 2006, 03:53 PM   #2
bdarin

www.idsabooks.com/cgi-bin/idb455/100868.html
Old July 26, 2006, 10:00 PM   #3
mec

The cavalray model is what I've used and the latch just flips down on it. On yours I suspect there is a nob instead. I don't have any experience with that. try unscrewing it. the external part that gave me the most fits asthe lever spring . the lever would flip upward and fling the ram rod out of the lever. tightening the big screw that retains the loading lever retards this a bit and using something to make the ram rod fit tighter in the loading lever tube helps both to keep the thing from flying out and to make it fit tighter against the barrel notch when at rest. On my first one, a long piece of grass stem worked very well.

Ive noticed dixie has a few more parts now than in the past. but you may have to contact VTI Gunparts for some of them. taylor and company also got some parts for me- two months backorder from italy.
http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/produ...category=Parts
the internals seem robust but it would not hurt to have spare hand springs and some extra loading lever retaining springs and the little screw that goes with them. Also the long spring that fits in the hammer and holds the hammer tip up is considered relatively fragile.
Old July 27, 2006, 10:54 AM   #4
Rachen

Thanks

The book is kind of expensive at 175, but thanks anyway, I might lurk around Gunbroker or GunsAmerica to see if copies might float up from time to time.

Mec, yes the Navy model has a knob instead of a lever, I believe your Navy model was stolen by burglars, right?, from what I recall in your previous posts.
I don't think unscrewing would work because I studied the exploded parts diagram in the Pietta book with a magnifying glass and saw no threads on the pin. I believe a spring has to be pressed to allow the knob to disengage. But I might consult a gunsmith or one of the guys at Dixie.

The Navy LeMat was the same model used in the novel Cold Mountain, when Inman stated something about "a secondary little hammer" on the one that he acquired in the Crater. The movie sucked, can't believe the almost parody-like production. Miramax fouled Mr. Charles Frazier's masterpiece just like the movie "Fahrenheit 451" fouled up the novel by Ray Bradbury.

Also, Mec, inspect the trigger on your LeMat carefully, do you see little factory nicks on the edge that looked like cracks? For a moment I thought they are and was about to call Dixie!

Thanks
Old July 27, 2006, 01:23 PM   #5
mec

Talk to dixie. both of mine were cavalry models. I don't have either to look at now. One of the things the earlier lemats including the cave model did was let the flip catch fall down under recoil- particularly after it had been taken apart a few times and fired. The barrel/frame retaining catch is nothing but a small lever with a leaf spring under it. when you push it into engagement, you are pushing against the spring which does nothing to retain it in position. I believe the knob came along later to prevent spontaneous disengagement .
Old July 27, 2006, 03:02 PM   #6
Smokin_Gun

Hey there Rachen!
Congrades on the new LaMat Navy ... they sure look like a handful.
Wish I could help but I know sqyua about LaMats.
Good to see ya,
SG
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old July 29, 2006, 10:43 AM   #7
Rachen

Hey Smokin_Gun

Hello there man!
Thanks.
I just figured out how to remove the barrel locking pin. You have to turn it in either direction just one rotation, when it feels loose, just pull it out. It has no threads, just a spring that locks it in place. Turning the pin disengages the spring and allows the pin to come out, while turning it again allows the spring to engage the pin again, thus locking it. Kind of like adjusting a watch.