The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 19, 2014, 05:50 PM   #26
mete

Brian , have you ever met a coyote/wolf in your neighborhood ? remember that 20 % of NY and PA coyotes have wolf genes .They are the 70 + pound ones !!
In Brooklyn we knew a fellow who had a rare carry permit . He ALWAYS carried when he walked his dog in Owl's Head [Bliss] Park because of the large number of feral dogs there .
Feral dogs here in the Catskill Mtns have been taken care of by the coyotes.
Old April 19, 2014, 06:38 PM   #27
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Let's don't go huntin' boogers, okay? If you're shot-gunning for turkeys and Ol' Wily shows up, just shoot him and don't worry about anything but the sight picture.

Fewer coyotes = More turkeys, deer and quail. Better for the folks with sheep, goats and chickens, also.
Old April 19, 2014, 06:40 PM   #28
6.5swedeforelk

AdamSean, you would definitely get a rush from say,
calf elk calling and turning to stare into the steely eyes of a huge grey wolf at 14 paces!

But a non-rabid yote (he was hunting, so no rabies), perhaps a little skittish?
Old April 19, 2014, 07:56 PM   #29
Sure Shot Mc Gee

If this comment applies.
Quote:
In some states the game warden may take a dim view of having buckshot in your gun while turkey hunting.
If that's the case.
Consider a (cut shot-shell) for immediate elimination of such animals. Just don't shoot your turkey with one as you will have little left to eat.
Old April 19, 2014, 09:32 PM   #30
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mete View Post
Brian , have you ever met a coyote/wolf in your neighborhood ? remember that 20 % of NY and PA coyotes have wolf genes .They are the 70 + pound ones !!

In Brooklyn we knew a fellow who had a rare carry permit . He ALWAYS carried when he walked his dog in Owl's Head [Bliss] Park because of the large number of feral dogs there .

Feral dogs here in the Catskill Mtns have been taken care of by the coyotes.

I know guys who have killed hundreds of coyotes and my uncle has killed 29 from a single bait pile. I've never heard of a single one being over 65lbs and that was ONE and it won a contest in which over 100 animals were entered. My uncle killed one that was exactly 60lbs and it was by far the largest he's killed.

I know that studies have shown that some coyotes in the NE do indeed have red wolf genes but I've never heard a %.

Most of what people "know" about NY coyotes is urban legend mixed with old wive's tales.
Old April 19, 2014, 10:35 PM   #31
scrubcedar

I've got to chime in on this one. I, and more importantly, my kids had some scary encounters with coyotes on the edges of the Denver metro area (Parker Colorado) back a few years ago. There was a greenbelt with a stream running through it that was in between where we were and where their friends lived.

While on foot they were actively trailed by coyotes at dusk repeatedly, one even attempted to keep up with them while they were on their bikes. This was not their imagination, they called us on their buddies cell phone to pick them up and we were able to see the coyotes trailing them first hand!

I contacted all the usual gov't authorities only to have them tell me that yes, they had gotten reports of "unusually aggressive" coyotes in the area, and that livestock and pets were missing, but in wasn't their responsibility because somehow this greenbelt was in the middle of some sort of boundary limbo and no one knew who actually was responsible for it.

Yes the OP might very well have been in danger. I'll give him the same advice I gave my kids, who at that point I trained in my old standby, the wrist rocket (I figured it was better than nothing). Aim for the head. I would think that any sort of shotgun round to the face would at least blind it.
Old April 20, 2014, 12:03 AM   #32
rickyrick

Most are like tall chihuahuas lol

Their fur can make an illusion of size but I've killed many, and they are dainty compared to dogs
Old April 20, 2014, 08:23 AM   #33
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Most Texas coyotes are around 30 to 35 pounds. As with deer and cougars, the farther north you go, the larger the animal. I am not all surprised by reports from up north about coyotes weighing fifty pounds or even more.

But I really doubt that a hostile coyote will advance after receiving a face full of even small birdshot, much less a turkey load.
Old April 20, 2014, 01:42 PM   #34
mete

Brian, I'm talking about a proper study of PA and NY. Photos of skulls ,DNA stuff etc. I lost a lot of things from my computer last year including that . I'll try to google it.
Old April 20, 2014, 02:22 PM   #35
mete

http://artdaily.com/news/47591/New-Y...olves--Coyotes

Roland Kays is a major researcher on this subject. You can work it from there.
Old April 20, 2014, 04:51 PM   #36
skoro

I haven't been a hunter for quite a few years now. That said, if I'm armed and spot a coyote, I'll shoot it with whatever I have at hand. They're becoming a real problem in many areas.
Old April 20, 2014, 08:35 PM   #37
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Advice needed with coyotes.

That study shows that NY coyotes are about 9% wolf, the second lowest % of any they listed, and identical to the domestic dog %. They have no mention of the weight, that I saw. Hundreds of dead coyotes all being weighed constitutes science to me. When the winning animal is 65lbs and folks who see it are amazed, I can't find a single person who's ever seen one 70lbs with their own eyes (though there are "my cousins, friends, neighbors, best friend...." kind of stories and of 29 that my uncle has shot the FAR and away largest is 50lbs, I have a real hard time believing there's any number of uber-large ones out there. (I just texted him to verify... It was *50* lbs, NOT 60)

Only a few of the 29 my uncle has shot have been over 40lbs and only 2 over 45.

NY DEC says they run 35-45lbs... http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/9359.html

A study by Cornell says the average male is 35, female 32.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; April 20, 2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old April 20, 2014, 09:02 PM   #38
Bozz10mm

Shoot that bad boy center of mass with your turkey load.
Old April 20, 2014, 10:15 PM   #39
psalm7

I like blasting yotes with my 25-06 but I've killed several with .22's including 1 with a cb cap with a head shot .
Old April 21, 2014, 09:01 PM   #40
Mobuck

Missouri closes the coyote season during spring turkey season. Guess they had too many "varmint hunters" poaching turkeys. Also, no shot bigger than #4. I don't know what dufus regs other states have in place but better study up before going afield.
In the past, I've had 3 coyotes tackle my decoy while I was calling. All failed to get away after receiving a load of #4 although one ran about 200 yards before toppling over. BB or #2 seems to work better on coyote but I wouldn't mess around trying to swap loads with a yote within 20-30 yards.
Old April 21, 2014, 09:48 PM   #41
Jay24bal

Quote:
Missouri closes the coyote season during spring turkey season.
Man, that is rough. Here in OH, there is no closed season on coyotes, or hogs for that matter.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "