The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 23, 2012, 05:08 PM   #1
J2.

Laser/ flash light or not

I have been considering a laser for my carry gun. I felt with my aging eyes and living in a non-city area with low to no light at night. I do keep a faithful firearm, good flash light and my wife next to me in bed. But when carrying outside the home I could gain an advantage not available without a laser.
While searching the web for prospect I watched a video of a man showing a flashlight laser combo. This brought to mind a serious question.
If I use a laser or combo light/laser, would it not be easier for the BG to shoot ME?
Any thoughts?
Old December 23, 2012, 05:52 PM   #2
Shadi Khalil

Every situation is different. A flashlight could work against you byrevealing your position or work for you by blinding your assailant. I use a Crimson Trace LG105 on my EDC and think its a great addition. The pressure switch means I don't have to activate the laser until I am ready and it also makes shooting from an awkward position (on your back for example) a lot easier. They also make for great training devices by giving instant feedback on your trigger control. A lot of people like to call laser grips a crutch but it's the exact opposite for me. The CT has been such a benefit to my point shooting that I don't even see the laser when doing draw and fire drills. So, both are great additions, it just matters how you use them.

Last edited by Shadi Khalil; December 23, 2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old December 23, 2012, 07:54 PM   #3
dgludwig

I recently purchased a Streamlight laser/light combo and installed it on my SIG Model 226. You can have it in a laser only; light only or laser and light mode. It also has a strobe feature. The only drawbacks I see so far is that it adds weight and bulk to the pistol and makes the gun holster unfriendly-not factors if the pistol is used for nightstand duties as my pistol is but certainly might well be negative factors in the intended "carry gun" role you are considering.
Old December 23, 2012, 08:30 PM   #4
springer99

FWIW, I consider a flashlight an important thing to have in order to help identify a possible target, but I don't think it has much of a role when mounted on a firearm. If I had a choice, I'd rather have a separate flashlight to illuminate the area, and then a laser to target an opponent. Lasers can be added to many handguns with minimal impact on their weight or size. IMO, using a weapon-mounted flashlight to scan an area and locate a target is more than I want to consider. Maybe I'm oldschool, but I have a hard time using a flashlight to aim my weapon. It might be a friendly.

Last edited by springer99; December 25, 2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old December 23, 2012, 08:31 PM   #5
10-96

J2- I've pondered those things for years. Not only as duty equipment, but also what roles they would play for folks of all levels of familiarity with both firearms and gadgetry. I have just about come to the conclusion that if the owner(s) would train equally (and a LOT) both with and without them- I might be OK with them. My father asked about those things, and it kind of put the issue in a whole new light. My question to him was, "If you get one, and you become accustomed/reliant on seeing the dot come on- what will you do the first time you encounter a dead battery? Will you wave the thing around, shake it, adjust your bi-focals, re-press the button a few times? How long will the guy who just broke into your house take to make his decision to attack or flee while you may not think to point shoot or make proper use of the iron sights?"

So, really it comes down to how you feel about them. Do you practice often enough for them NOT to become a false sense of security?

And about your question about a BG finding you as a tempting target. Nobody knows your place like you do. Either with or without a flashlight or flashlight/laser combo- strategic placement of lighting and shadows put the homefield advantage towards you. Lets say you hear a ruccus in the barn. While going out there, stay in the shaddows as much as you can. In patches of light- move as fast as you can, use body language to look as preturbed and as intimidating as possible. Put a lightswitch on the outside of the barn and/or outbuildings or in the house. When you open a door, don't be standing in the middle of it. Get creative and use every advantage you can think of to give you the upper hand in the event your light/laser fails.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old December 23, 2012, 08:56 PM   #6
ClydeFrog

Use of tactical lights, laser aiming systems....

I'd consider a white light or light/laser if you feel you can add it to your carry pistol. If it has a 1913 rail, then you could add in on.
In my opinion, a green laser system with a bright light/strobe is best. Viridin markets a well made unit that fits most brands(M&P, SIG-Sauer, XDm, Beretta).

Some LE officers & armed citizens like the flashing Lasermax red laser that fits in the pistol guide-rod. The human eye is drawn to movement & the Lasermax battery lasts long in most conditions, but I like CT lasergrips & green lasers.

There are holsters & gear available for pistols with lasers/lights. Safariland, Blade-tech, COM Holsters, Galco, Unkle Mikes are well known brands.

ClydeFrog
Old December 23, 2012, 09:22 PM   #7
J2.

10-96 Thanks
You speak well. I Do and have done as you say. I like my Flash light, small and powerful. And I am not limited to one weapon that way. I would consider laser only on my XD9 Sub, but as you state I would not be solely depended on the laser. More wisdom to consider.
Old December 23, 2012, 11:27 PM   #8
Shadi Khalil

Like springer I prefer a light thats not mounted to my handgun for all the same reasons.
Old December 24, 2012, 10:30 AM   #9
loose_holster_dan

ditto on shadi's post
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old December 24, 2012, 10:51 AM   #10
drail

If you're going to walk around in dark places buy a good flashlight and keep it on your belt (even if you are not carrying a gun). I have found a flashlight to be much more useful for a lot more things than a gun (unless you live in Chicago or Detroit). Additionally there are many flashlights on the market now that are quite capable of blinding a bad guy for at least a few seconds and giving you a chance to move to cover. Awareness is your best tool.
Old December 24, 2012, 11:58 AM   #11
J2.

drail, I agree.
Old December 24, 2012, 12:44 PM   #12
Gen3Glock22

My advice, know your state laws, my state does not allow me to seek after the thug once they are on the run from me.

I say use a rail light so you can get a view on the surroundings should you need to, but do get night sites too. The lazer won't light up the neighbors yard should you need to. The light can keep you from tripping over an object in their yard. I have a light on my hat, that as well as any type of light on a gun will give away where you are, another reason for night sites. I can hide in the shadows while the thug is in the moon light or my night lights in the house or yard, and I can see my sites perfect with out them knowing I'm there.
Old December 24, 2012, 01:19 PM   #13
J2.

Night Sites! That is one thing I had not thought about.
Old December 24, 2012, 11:23 PM   #14
ClydeFrog

Night sights, carry guns....

IMO;
All carry & duty sidearms should include 3 dot night sights. I don't care for the fiber optic models but the major brands like Trijicon are worth the $.

Clyde
Old December 24, 2012, 11:47 PM   #15
JimmyR

I do not feel comfortable with a mounted flashlight for a very simple reason- if I am using my light to illuminate the target, then I don't know if I am aiming my barrel at something I want to destroy. IMHO, a flashlight should be seperate from the muzzle of the weapon, so that I can illuminate first, aim second.
Old December 25, 2012, 06:19 PM   #16
ClydeFrog

All hands! Real critical incidents....

It surprises me how often I read or hear the "I'd want to carry my flashlight." point when the topic of lights & laser aiming units comes up.
My question is; how many hands do you have in a real emergency or break-in?

If an intruder or felon breaks in in the early morning hours, you'll have: your firearm, your phone, your flashlight or whitelight, and be able to open doors/grab items/hold stair railings, etc.
To me, it's faster & more practical to grab a pistol, turn on a bright light or laser and contact 911.

Stress, chaos and rapid actions will be real factors in a home invasion. My good friend & co-worker(a retired US Army E-7 & 083 federal police Sgt) had an event just like that. He held the intoxicated subject at gunpoint until the PD got on scene.
Old December 25, 2012, 06:47 PM   #17
Vireye

Typically I mount my TLR-1S when my Glock is on the nightstand, but I carry it without it.

Again, that's *typically*. On certain occasions I will carry with the light mounted, but usually its just too dang bulky to try and conceal it with the light.
Old December 25, 2012, 07:08 PM   #18
Ghost1958

Personally im not a big fan of lazers or flashlights when the poop hits the spinning electrical appliance.
In my home its never totally dark due to a security light outside in the yard. Being familiar with my home I can move about at night no lights on and know exactly where I am. A stranger in my home however would have a lot of trouble without a flashlight to do the same. Id prefer to let him give away his position instead of me.

At night in public there really isnt anyplace I would normally be that is pitch dark. I do normally carry a mini mag in case of a vehicle breakdown but that is it.
Unless I was searching a strange building or woods for someone I dont really see the need for a tactical light or lazer on my handgun. But that is just me. Some of my friends love them and swear by them. Each to his own.
Old December 25, 2012, 10:51 PM   #19
johnwilliamson062

If you are on an entry team with seveal people backing you up and overwhelming firepower, lights are great.

If you are alone in your house against an unknown number of people with unknown firepower holding a defensive position, a light is not going to help you much.
Old December 26, 2012, 06:43 AM   #20
Redhawk5.5+P+

OP

TBS, wrong page.

Tactics and training IMOP.
Old December 28, 2012, 04:38 PM   #21
J2.

Actually it started off as an equipment question, then morphed into tech.
Old December 28, 2012, 04:54 PM   #22
Mobuck

I have a Streamlite laser/light combo on my bedside pistol. Only two of us at home now so anything out of the norm is a target. Don't need a light to navigate my home so most likely, the only time the light/laser would turn on is when actually preparing to fire. I keep a high output flashlite in addition to the pistol mounted light just in case I don't feel I should use the mounted light.
Old December 28, 2012, 05:59 PM   #23
sirviveme

I have a Fenix TK11 as my tactical light. Love it! Bright and cool looking. Great price too!