The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 18, 2016, 05:09 PM   #51
briandg

Compared to what? A gopher hunter who spends an entire day popping prairie puppies compared to even the crazies who go do "tactical drills" firing hundreds of rounds at near full auto rates is kind of goofy, so I won't discuss that.

I've seen people sit at a range for hours, running ammo through their semiautos as fast as they can, one magazine after another. A full auto isn't going to make that cost anymore. it would only take another minute or two to burn through a magazine at semi auto compared to full auto.

I gave up on wanting a full auto about a century ago, and cost wasn't even part of the question. At that time I was trying to get claymore mines to keep the darned cats from pooping in my roses.
Old September 18, 2016, 08:37 PM   #52
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
If all folks had to do was buy a FA trigger group from Brownells and drill for the autosear for a <$100 investment or buy an even cheaper lighting link, sure, lots of folks would have higher ammo costs.
It wouldn't cost anything. There is absolutely no reason for most full autos to cost more. An M16 does not cost any more to make than an AR-15. In many cases manufactureers go through additional steps to convert old designs to full auto making their manufacture MORE expensive. There would only be the stamp and related NFA restrictions.

Quote:
I've offered seed funding for various MG projects to prospective relevant partners, with the ultimate goal of repealing Hughes. No one was interested in the projects, they were only interested in the funding.
None of the big players are going to get involved. First you need to find a Washingtonian(lobbyist) to spend your money. A decent one can put it together from there. Although I'm not sure a large percentage of the full auto crowd would support, my guess is it would be the wealthier ones who would get on board. The ones who can write 4 or 5 figure checks without missing a meal. Some of us normies who put our own pants on one leg at a time might even send a check in the 2-3 figure range
Old September 19, 2016, 03:53 PM   #53
jmorris

Quote:
I would love to see the MG ban repealed, but it's going to take more than hoping. It's going to take action, and no one seems willing to take the action.
It's not "no one" rather "not enough".

There are millions more people out there that would vote for more social programs or $15 minimum wage than the repeal of the Hughes Amendment.

Should be pretty obvious, looking at current polling data that half of the people living here don't care about gun rights in general much less machineguns.
Old September 19, 2016, 03:59 PM   #54
Skans

I wonder how many machine guns get removed from the civilian registry every decade from a breakage that can't be repaired?

Which will come first:

a) the last worn-out registered MG receiver firing it's last shot before the final KABOOM;
b) Apes will rule over humans;
c) Large meteor hits Earth;
d) the confiscation of all remaining legal civilian-owned machine guns;
e) Our sun will turn into a Red Giant.

Last edited by Skans; September 19, 2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old September 20, 2016, 10:06 PM   #55
22-rimfire

For my part, I'll pass on the full auto. It is not an itch I care enough to scratch. For me, just the ammo is un-affordable in quantities that would make it fun with a full auto.
Old September 20, 2016, 10:15 PM   #56
barnbwt

Quote:
Which will come first:
Canada has a rather elegant final solution I figure we'll eventually adopt; no inheritance transfers, and wait for a single generation to die off.

TCB

*my money's on the apes --they can dual wield M249s while on horseback!
Old September 21, 2016, 06:25 AM   #57
45_auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnbwt
Canada has a rather elegant final solution I figure we'll eventually adopt; no inheritance transfers, and wait for a single generation to die off.
How long does it take for a corporation to die?

Most of the MG's around here are owned by corporations. Local law enforcement wouldn't sign off for many years (required for personal ownership but not for a corporation), so anyone who wanted an MG just formed a corporation.

I would imagine that if a "no inheritance" law were passed that even more MG's would be owned by corporations, and there would probably also be a lot of older MG owners selling their guns to their kids for $1 or putting them in trusts.
Old September 21, 2016, 07:58 AM   #58
johnwilliamson062

I think the no inheritance comment assumes no sales or other transfers either.

Trusts are not the same as corporations. The trust does not own its assets. The trustee does. It still needs to be transferred to the trustee.
Old September 21, 2016, 09:31 AM   #59
jmorris

Quote:
I wonder how many machine guns get removed from the civilian registry every decade from a breakage that can't be repaired?
I bet very, very few if any.

If you have one that is beyond repair. I will pay for the stamps and shipping, then post a detailed thread on how I repaired it.

It's pretty hard to do something that can't be repaired.

Even "destroyed" receivers can be made operational by someone with time, even if they have crude tools.

http://www.gunbuilds.com/38A/weld.html