The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 21, 2016, 11:18 AM   #26
maillemaker

Yup, we have one local gun shop that sells black powder, and it's about $26 a pound. I can get it slightly cheaper when I buy 10 pounds at a time from Powder Inc.

This year is the year I am going to explore manufacturing my own using the pressed/corned technique.

My preliminary estimates are that I can buy the materials online and manufacture my own BP for about $4 a pound. The only real question for me is does it make a product that is consistent enough for competition.

Steve
Old January 21, 2016, 01:38 PM   #27
BlackPowderBen

Steve,
I make screened black powder, it is not very precise though and it needs to be measured by weight rather than volume. I also just ordered a compressing tool so I can make black powder than can be measured by volume.
Old January 21, 2016, 02:06 PM   #28
maillemaker

Yup, by all accounts, pressing/corning makes a superior powder. And it gives me an excuse to get a 20 ton press from Harbor Freight.

Steve