The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 14, 2009, 03:13 PM   #1
jrod648

Open Carry Question.

In Virginia, a person under under the age of 21 is allowed to obtain a handgun by purchase of a non FFL dealer, or it can be gifted. The open carry age limit in Virginia is 18. Does this mean that a person over the age of 18 can legally open carry so long as the gun was obtained legally?
Old November 14, 2009, 04:51 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

In Virginia, you're good to go at 18. You don't qualify for a concealed permit until you're 21, though.
Old November 14, 2009, 07:10 PM   #3
koolminx

I'm of the opinion that HOW you got the gun is less important than WHY you have it, from an officers point of view...

I mean who would care HOW you came to posses the gun if it's legal for you to open carry?

I carry my piece, my uncles piece, my fathers piece and my friends open depending on the circumstances.

Never have I been questioned as to how I came about the firearms.
Old November 14, 2009, 09:18 PM   #4
NavyLT

Quote:
I mean who would care HOW you came to posses the gun if it's legal for you to open carry?
AND if the gun was being carried lawfully, they would have no legal basis to investigate how the gun was obtained.
Old December 5, 2009, 01:53 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Having a (current) copy of the law with you is not a bad idea

I have a friend who has a registered antique motorcycle. Under our law, he is not required to wear a helmet to ride it. Now, he is only supposed to ride it to and from antique motorcycle shows (which is generally what he does). And he carries a copy of the relevant law with him when he rides.

He still gets stopped. He still gets tickets. He tells me that showing the cops the law gets him out of about half of the tickets. The other half just write the ticket, and tell him to fight it in court. He does go to court on those tickets, and has had every one dismissed.

Street cops are trained on the law, but knowing all the minor specifics of every law on the books is hardly something one can expect from all officers. They are, after all, human. How you go about explaining to the officer that you believe they are in error and you are within the law is a exercise in tact, and should only be attempted in a non-confrontational stable situation.

Good Luck.