The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 22, 2008, 08:10 PM   #1
surg_res

Any Mauser 1908 owners around?

I just added a Brazilian contract DWM 1908 to my Mauser collection today. It is a beautiful, matching rifle and in excellent 90%+ shape. I was surprised to see that the two front barrel bands are not blued (nor do they appear to have ever been blued) like they are in most of my other export mausers (i.e. 1909, etc). Also, unlike similar DWM rifles, I noticed that the cleaning rod is not numbered but has the matching "beta" proof mark. The rifle is non-import stamped and appears overall un-tampered.

Wondering if the bands are original in finish, I searched for pics online and in my books but came up pretty empty-handed. Most parts in the pics look to have been reblued or are stainless with a fair amount of patina; thus, looking blue.

Just interested to see if anyone has any ideas about this. Let me know if you want pics of my new gun.
Old September 23, 2008, 05:51 AM   #2
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Nice find!

All the pictures of Brazilian '08s in both Ball and Olson show blued/dark barrel bands.

I, too, have an '08, but it's an Itajuba-manufactured '08/34. Because who doesn't want a Mauser 98 chambered in .30-'06?

How shiny are the bands? Could the rifle have possibly been used for parade functions and the bluing polished off the bands to add a little more snap & pop during formations?
Old September 23, 2008, 05:18 PM   #3
surg_res

I looked in my edition of Ball's book and the pics aren't the best (too dark to clearly see the bands). My guess is that it is original finish, as I can't imagine that they would have stripped the underside as well. Many pics on the net with blued parts were the roughed-up military reworks, many of which were reblued--including the receivers. The remainder of blueing on this rifle appears original, as it has that unmistakable DWM softness with slight incandescence.

I've also since noticed that the rifle has one of two stock cartouches but generally not both.

Pics to follow.

Last edited by surg_res; September 23, 2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old September 23, 2008, 05:45 PM   #4
surg_res

Old September 23, 2008, 08:22 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

The parts are not stainless. The gun is too old for stainless to have been used. They appear to have either never been blued, or the bluing stripped. 20 seconds in hydrochloric acid will accomplish this. I'm no Mauser expert, so I can't comment on originality.
I would use NevrDull wadding to clean it up. It will take some elbow grease.
Old September 23, 2008, 10:58 PM   #6
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Pretty rifle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by surg_res
I looked in my edition of Ball's book and the pics aren't the best (too dark to clearly see the bands).
What edition do you have? The 4th ed. has a pretty good color pic of a DWM 1908, with the receiver clearly in the white and blued barrel, bands, and ejector assembly.

I wonder if mine is refinished or not? It's been a while since I looked at it...
Old September 23, 2008, 11:24 PM   #7
tokarev762

Indeed a nice looking rifle you have there.

My 1909 mauser is an Argie and the bands on it are blued. Only the receiver and bolt are in the white. It's amazing how those and the '96 Swede's can be that way without tarnishing after all of these years. I've had to explain to many people that the receivers are not stainless.
Old September 24, 2008, 01:41 AM   #8
HiBC

What is fun about the Brazilians is they are a large ring short action.Short like a Yugo or Mexican.
Nice military specimen,not to chop,but if it was just an action,they are a sweet Mauser.
Old September 24, 2008, 04:45 AM   #9
surg_res

That's interesting that stainless steel came along later: I never picked up on that. That explains why people simply call this "white" I suppose (and why it stains).

So now I'm wondering why the bands, stock disc, and sling rings have been stripped as well. Who knows. 100 years is a long time on Earth, in the hands of man, for any rifle. Thanks for all of the comments.