The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 26, 2014, 09:15 AM   #1
Tipsy Mcstagger

45 Blackhawk convertible and 'ruger only loads' safe?

Guys, I bought a blackhawk convertible 45acp/colt and I'm going to be reloading for it soon. Can I safely load and shoot the ruger only loads in it or do I have the wrong model? It's a flat top but I've seen somewhere the convertible might not be sufficient due to the thinner cylinder walls? Thanks in advance.
Old July 26, 2014, 01:37 PM   #2
rclark

Easiest way is to check the serial #. If it has a TWO digit prefix (XX-YYYY) then you can shoot ROLs. If it has THREE digits (XXX-YYYYY) then it is a medium frame revolver. Of course if you want to be absolutely sure, measure the cyinder with a cailbers. A larger frame cylinder will be 1.732 diameter and 1.703 in length. The mediem frame cylinder will be 1.675 in diameter, and 1.610 in length.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old July 26, 2014, 02:23 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

To be precise, "Ruger Only" loads apply ONLY to the New Model Blackhawk, the Vaquero (NOT THE "New Vaquero") and the Redhawk/Super Redhawk, in .45 Colt.

The "ruger only" loads were developed using the Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .45 Colt. This was before there was a Vaquero (either one) OR a Redhawk.

The new model Blackhawk uses the large (.44mag) size frame. There are smaller guns called Blackhawks, they are not suitable for the heavy .45 Colt loadings that have become called "Ruger only".

Since "ruger only" .45 Colt loads were developed, Ruger has produced several guns in .45 Colt that are NOT suitable for the "Ruger only" level loads.

DO NOT get them confused.

Thanks to various gun writers, people's general sloppiness in terms, and Ruger's policy of making different size (strength) guns with identical or very similar names, it is easy to do.
Old July 26, 2014, 04:56 PM   #4
Paul B.

If your gun is a Flat Top i'm almost positive the heavier loads for the large frame Ruger revolvers as not suitable to your gun. I say almost because I have a pre-1973 Blackhawks in .45LC with an ACP cylinder and the fellow that gave me the gun shot .44 Magnum level loads in it. Never was a problem for him and the only reason I don't is I also have a Super Blackhawk in .4 Mag. and now also have a Super Blackhawk Bisley that gets the .44 Mag. 45 caliber level loads.
If your gun was mine, I believe I would load my ammo to about the 900/950 FPS range with a 250/255 gr. bullet and call it good.
Paul B.
Old July 26, 2014, 11:36 PM   #5
Tipsy Mcstagger

I'll look at the serial number when I get back to the gun as it's in my safe and I'm on vacation.
To further clarify, my gun is a relatively new gun, I got it off of a friend and he bought it new 2-3 years ago.

Thanks so far.
Old July 27, 2014, 06:24 AM   #6
Mike / Tx

If you do an internet search for the following, "45 270 SAA load data" it will bring up a link to a PDF which has an excellent write up by Brian Pearce on that particular bullet. It has three different load levels listed which cover just about any 45 Colt pressure you would or should need. The bullet referenced in this is an EXCELLENT bullet for the 45 Colt and shoots awesome from my Redhawk.

For your purpose I would stick to the Table 1 and 2 loads, and these can also be used with bullet ranging in the 250 - 260gr territory as well. Follow what your reloading manual says, but you will find that they are very close and in most cases are on the lighter end of the data being the bullets are in the 250-260gr range. Most anything in this range with a wide flat nose or SWC profile is going to shoot pretty good. Just remember fit is king with cast. If your looking at jacketed, I HIGHLY suggest the 250gr Gold Dot if you can get hold of some. Those are some AWESOME bullets in the Colt, as well as the lighter 200 and 230gr ones for the ACP. Also since you ARE loading for a revolver, there is also data out there using the 250gr bullets in the ACP cases. Most are listed as Bowling Pin, or Pin Buster loads, but they run the 250gr RFN out at about 750'ish FPS from an auto loader so they aren't low loaded for sure. There are plenty of loads on the net, but as usual don't trust anything unless verified with published data. The advantage with the heavy bullets are you can use the same one for the Colt and ACP loads. Still though the lighter bullets for the ACP would be the way to go.

Also while your poking around with the search engine, look up John Linebaugh, "The 45 Colt, Dissolving the Myth". Another excellent sorce of info for you to dive into. It will show you that you really don't need to exceed the standard range loads to have plenty of accuracy or penetration even at extended ranges, as he references his wife's hunting. Just remember while your reading this that quite a bit of it is "TEST" data, but on the bottom and referenced in the upper portion for his wifes hunting load are some good loads.

To be honest there are a ton of bullets in many styles and shapes from 185grs up to over 300 which will shoot through the Colt. Personally I would say leave everything under 250grs for the ACP, and stay below 300grs with the Colt loads. My most accurate loads use the 250 thru 280gr bullets. I load within the Table 2 data listed in that PDF, and within what is listed at the bottom of the artical written by Mr. Linebaugh. They will drive straight through a 6 gallon bucket of fine sand at 35yds and penetrate to within about 4" or so of the bottom at 50yds. There isn't much in the lower 48 that you should have any issue driving one through both sides of.

For powders, and I know they are hard to come by nowadays, but I have found Unique, Universal, and HS-6 to be the top performers in mine, with the latter getting the most use. Just like described in the Linebaugh write up, between 850 and 1000fps they just work, and work really well. You will also note that in the bottom table the HS-6 load is used for weights of 260 through 320grs. I use mine for deer and hog hunting, and with the accuracy and penetration of even the light weight bullets they deliver a very good punch upon impact.

I have had my eye on one of the convertible BH's for a while now. I want it so my wife can have something that actually fits her hand, and she can manage a bit easier than the weight of the RH. I had found just the one I wanted but didn't have the cash on hand and before I got back it was gone. I am looking at the SS version myself as I think witht he black grips it just pops. That's me though and everyone has their own thing.

Hope this helps.
Old July 27, 2014, 05:48 PM   #7
rclark

Here is a link to that article: Brian Pearce tier 1, 2, and 3 loads

I haven't found a need to go beyond Tier 2 loads which is safe in both the medium and large frame Ruger single action revolvers. In fact my woods load is simply an HS-6 Tier 2 load.

As a note on the 'SBH' mentioned above.... The large frame BH is the same as the SBH. Same cylinders.... No different. Only the grip frame and hammer are different .. but are all interchangeable. Was just Ruger marketing at the time !

BTW, the medium frame .45 Colt (and .45 ACP) Flattops are my favorite revolvers. The ACP cylinders rarely get used. The balance just seems 'right' with these guns. I have both a blued and stainless flattop. Blued of course is my favorite! Both have been tuned up my Jeff Ault of Munden Enterprises and work great.

A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; July 27, 2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old July 27, 2014, 08:30 PM   #8
GeauxTide

Those loads from Brian Pearce are just excellent. I've got the SS Bisley Blackhawk, which is the same revolver that he developed those loads with. I'm with RCLARK on Tier 2, but my recoil tolerance has me stopping there. If I want more, I'll pick up my SBH 44 Mag.
Old July 27, 2014, 09:00 PM   #9
Tipsy Mcstagger

Thanks so much for the help so far. I plan (and most certainly won't need it other than it'll make me feel better) to use it for a back up for black bear and I'd also like to hunt Alaska eventually and do not want to buy a 44, 454, 460, 475, 480, 50, 500 etc. If I have the right gun, I'll almost never use the ruger only loads except for test and a possible encounter (though I'll probably have a 35 whelen with me). Maybe I'll try it out on some feral hogs. Thanks so far, I've read the linebaugh website before and I'll check my cylinder when I get back to the gun.
Old July 27, 2014, 09:18 PM   #10
Jim Watson

I don't think you have the "right gun."
Those flattop .45 Convertibles are on the medium frame and the Popular Wisdom is that they are not stout enough for the "Ruger only" loads established for the large frame guns.
A Pearce tier 2 with a 280 gr SWC at 1000+ fps is a plenty.
Elmer Keith's top load was a 255 with 18.5 gr 2400, very similar to Pearce's 280 + 18 gr.
Old July 28, 2014, 10:18 AM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

250gr bullet, 10gr Unique, does just under 1100fps in my 7.5" Blackhawk.

Listed as top end load in the old loading manuals. Not a "ruger only" load, but max .45 colt safe in any gun (in good condition, of course).

Much more pleasant to shoot, and does everything I ask of the .45 Colt.

I used some of the heavy loads many years ago, and settled on 10gr Unique as my general load.

Might not be quite enough for what you want, but its a good place to start.
Old July 28, 2014, 10:23 AM   #12
rclark

Since Black bear was mentioned, in a Handloader article, Brian's son took a large blackbear with his medium frame flattop. The load came from the Tier 2 table mentioned above (I am at work, so don't have the article handy).

Quote:
... If I want more, I'll pick up my SBH 44 Mag.
Well, I'll just pick up my large frame .45 Colt BH if heading to Alaska or Africa {Ross Seyfreid article } which I don't plan on doing any time soon! Ha! As Ross says in his article "Many could be taken with the .44 Magnum, but I always felt like I was asking a boy to do a man’s job" ....

Last edited by rclark; July 28, 2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old July 28, 2014, 10:28 AM   #13
Tipsy Mcstagger

You guys have been so much help and given so much advice with no negativity. Are we sure that we can't let this thread devolve into beretta vs glock, AR vs AK or 9 vs 45 or at least shame me into a 500 magnum for bear?

Haha, thanks so much for all so far!!!
Old July 30, 2014, 08:55 PM   #14
Tipsy Mcstagger

Ok, so I just got home and after further reading it is not a true flat top. It definitely has a flat top above the cylinder but the adjustable sights have a raised part around them where the sights are pinned it that slope down to the flat top.

So...

It is not a flat top.
It has a 2-digit prefix followed by 5 more numbers.
It is a 45 caliber new model blackhawk.
The cylinder is 1.702" long by 1.730" wide.

Sounds like I can shoot ROL rounds, eh?
Thanks
Old August 1, 2014, 06:59 AM   #15
dodge

The ROL loads are really a bit too much for me. My pet load is 10 grs of Unique and a 250 - 255 gr bullet. With this load there isn't anything here in Pa. that I wouldn't hunt. In fact when shooting some of the ROL loads I busted the frame grip on a Blackhawk and had to send it into Ruger to be repaired which they did without any issues. On a very rare occasion I'll still load some up but they are not really needed.
Old August 1, 2014, 10:25 AM   #16
Airman Basic

It is fun sometimes just to rip-&-roar a bit, though, ain't it.
Old August 1, 2014, 10:36 AM   #17
Tipsy Mcstagger

I only plan on shooting enough of them to test the loads, then make a box of them when I go hunting. I'll mostly shoot mild or mid loads. I've never shot a hog with a 45 caliber, and will be trying that soon also.