The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 19, 2013, 06:43 PM   #1
tater134

Got a new rifle

Picked this one up at a local gun shop last week. It is an EMF Sharps in 45-70. The rear sight is missing but otherwise its in good shape.

Old September 19, 2013, 10:01 PM   #2
Tidewater_Kid

Nice looking rifle!

TK
Old September 20, 2013, 03:45 AM   #3
Doc Hoy

Yep...Tater,

That is nice.

Nice to find a deal on a rifle like that.
Old September 20, 2013, 04:03 AM   #4
Hawg

Very nice.
Old September 20, 2013, 10:51 AM   #5
Rigmarol

Oh Tater she's beautiful!!!!

I have a Quigley style one myself in .45-70.

I once nearly took an eye out trying to use the rear sight with the Veneir sight folded down. That might be why the previous owner removed it on yours!

Mine will lower enough to replace the rear sight if I want to. Normally I remove it for short range shooting.

Can't wait to hear how she shoots!!!
Old September 20, 2013, 07:39 PM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
I once nearly took an eye out trying to use the rear sight with the Veneir sight folded down. That might be why the previous owner removed it on yours!
He has the vernier sight but is missing the barrel mounted sight.
Old September 20, 2013, 07:45 PM   #7
Doc Hoy

Hawg....

I think he is saying that if you lower the vernier so as to use the rear sight , the vernier is so close to your cheek as to injure your eye on recoil.

Hope I have that right.
Old September 20, 2013, 08:31 PM   #8
Hawg

On mine you can lower the vernier so that it is blocked by the rear sight but it has to be raised a good bit above the height of the rear sight to be on target at close range. Of course mine shot really low with the barrel mounted sight.
Old September 20, 2013, 08:35 PM   #9
Beagle333

I'm with Doc on it... the rear sight was removed to make the vernier the only rear sight available and thus no temptation to fold it down when shooting.

or..... it fell off.....

or.... he sold it to pay for something...

or.... (I love guessing things that somebody else did, for some [probably] good reason.)

I really should be out shooting......

Anyway.. Nice rifle!!!!!!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old September 20, 2013, 09:20 PM   #10
Rigmarol

Yup, I folded mine down and shot it with the rear sight and was soooo sorry I did. Removing the rear sight is a possible solution to repeating that mistake.
Old September 21, 2013, 03:47 PM   #11
tater134

Thanks for the comments everyone! I took the rifle out in the backyard this afternoon and fired a few rounds before I got rained out.The only ammo I had was Remington 405gr but it shot a decent group after I messed around with the windage and elevation to get the rifle on paper. I have some 45-70 dies and brass so I may try some black powder loads for this rifle in the near future.

Some issues I had with the rifle:
I removed the import safety because it was driving me crazy. Its a small lever that puts the rifle on safe every time you open the breech by blocking the firing pin. It's easy to forget that it is flipped on so when you pull the trigger you'll end up with a click instead of a bang. I'm used to using half cock safeties anyway so this modification simplifies things and it is easily reversible. The tang sight works well but in order to adjust your elevation you must loosen the aperture which also allows it to move left to right. I don't know if all the Vernier sights are like that but it seems like it would be easy to mess up your windage if you aren't careful. I would also like to get a set of inserts for the front sight since the previous owner installed an insert with an extremely fine post that I find hard to see.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the rifle and if I get can get it dialed in really well I may take it deer hunting this year.
Old September 21, 2013, 06:00 PM   #12
Doc Hoy

Tater.....

I have only a passing familiarity with the design of that tang sight, but is it possible to take the eyepiece apart, insert a thin shim made of something like felt or plastic sheet. The eyepiece might then slide along the ladder without having to loosen it up for elevation adjustments.

I agree that a safety which engages every time the breach is opened and then requires an action to disengage it would be a problem.

I was cautioned not to open the breach with the hammer all the way forward as it will bend or break the firing pin. I think this may not be a problem in my specific rifle since the firing pin spring holds the pin back and in what might be called a retracted position.

I shoot a 405 and a 340 grain pullet in mine. (It is a SRC with a shorter barrel than yours) With the 405 I use either 55 or 70 grains (at least I think that is right) With the 340 grain bullets I use about 75 to 80 grains. I have not worked up a load with either of these rounds and so I might get better performance if I fiddle with the load a little.
Old September 21, 2013, 06:04 PM   #13
Powderman

Very nice looking rifle!

Now, you must load some black powder cartridges for it.

I guarantee that once you hear that "boom", see the clouds of smoke and hear that big, heavy bullet smack the target board, you'll be hooked.
Old September 21, 2013, 06:16 PM   #14
Hawg

Quote:
I have only a passing familiarity with the design of that tang sight, but is it possible to take the eyepiece apart, insert a thin shim made of something like felt or plastic sheet. The eyepiece might then slide along the ladder without having to loosen it up for elevation adjustments.
That wont work Doc. The eyepiece has a threaded rod that adjusts elevation but you also have to loosen the eyepiece for it to move which is also how windage is adjusted. I'm fortunate that my windage is adjusted fully to the right so I don't have to worry about that. You loosen the two lock nuts at the top and then turn the knurled knob to make the eyepiece go up and down. A more expensive sight has a ball at the bottom of the rod that seats in the housing and doesn't come out so you don't have to keep loosening the nuts till you get it adjusted. These don't have that. With the nuts loose the whole rod will slide up.

Old September 21, 2013, 07:36 PM   #15
Doc Hoy

Got it Hawg...

BTW, that is a great photo of the sight.