The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 4, 2013, 03:43 PM   #1
regress

Video of an AR-15 magazine being stamped/manufactured from start to finish?

I've been searching for a reference video for some time, and have been unable to find a video online depicting an AR-15 magazine being stamped/manufactured from start to finish.

I realize the progressive stamping etc is a decently complex process, but have always been interested in watching a mag do it's full journey from raw materials to a final functioning mag.

Anyone happen to have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the feedback gentlemen.
Old March 4, 2013, 05:55 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I assume you mean something like the TV show "How It's Made", but I know of nothing like that for magazines.

Not all magazines are made the same way, but AR-15 mags are blanked out of wide alloy that comes in rolls, then folded and spot welded along the back seam, then the bottom shaped to hold the floorplate and the feed lips formed. Then the lips are hardened and the whole thing Parkerized. This is done at a speed too great to observe; the TV show uses slow motion to let the viewer see that kind of detail.

Maybe you could write to "How It's Made" and see if they would do a show on magazines now that they are in the news.

Jim
Old March 4, 2013, 09:31 PM   #3
BoogieMan

IMO its unlikely you will find anything like that. Most manufacturers dont want there info out. Every plant (glass, soup, stamping, etc...) I go into has a sign that cameras and camera phones are not allowed on the production floor. A competitor could get a lot of information from such a video if they know what to look for.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown