The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 29, 2013, 03:51 PM   #1
dcvyn

EAA Witness

I have a ss witness. 45 on order. Anybody ever own one? How does it feel recoil wise?
Old January 29, 2013, 03:55 PM   #2
jasmith85

The recoil isn't bad. I'd say about the same as a 1911 if you've ever shot one. They're good guns. I traded mine but mainly because I got a really good offer for it.
Old January 29, 2013, 04:03 PM   #3
dcvyn

Never shot a 1911 only because I never had the chance to. Did shoot a buddys ruger p90 once. Recoil was weird but it was the first time I shot anything bigger than a .22. Since then I owned a taurus 24/7 compact. Recoil was pretty stout even thought it shot smooth.
Old January 29, 2013, 06:19 PM   #4
Skans

You will be surprised at how much gun you got for your money! The finish, which looks like stainless, is not stainless. It's some kind of coating or finish treatment to carbon steel, from what I understand. It must be proprietary because apparently EAA/Tanfoglio really doesn't disclose what it is.

Last edited by Skans; January 29, 2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old January 29, 2013, 08:06 PM   #5
imp

I used to own a witness P-carry in .45, until my brother in law came into a sudden need for protection. Its a fine pistol, definatly worth the money. Recoil is like any other .45 that size, noticeable but not bad. Congrats on the new piece.
Old January 29, 2013, 08:53 PM   #6
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
You will be surprised at how much gun you got for your money! The finish, which looks like stainless, is not stainless. It's some kind of coating or finish treatment to carbon steel, from what I understand. It must be proprietary because apparently EAA/Tanfoglio really doesn't disclose what it is.
As noted above, they are good, solid, inexpensive guns in their low-end variations, and quite sophisticated and refined in the more expensive models. The only downside is that EAA's customer service doesn't have the best reputation. You'll probably never have an issue. (You must pay for shipping to and from the factory if you have a warranty problem, and that's a negative.)

EAA has Witness models available in a semi-gloss Blue finish (which is common on the least expensive models - I've had several), a Wonder Finish in Blue, a Wonder Finish in Silver, and also in (hard) CHROME. IF it looks like stainless, it could be Wonder Finish or Hard Chrome. (If you bought a gun with the hard chrome finish, you'd probably know it,as that frame (not a finish) is generally only seen on the more expensive models.)

Technically, EAA says Wonder Finish isn't really a finish, but a surface hardening treatment -- apparently applied before it receives the color application. Wonder Finish, according to the user manual, must be treated just like carbon steel; it can rust if ignored too much... and I've seen photos of some silver ones that were ignored too much.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; January 30, 2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old January 29, 2013, 10:43 PM   #7
chris in va

I had one...briefly.

I was shocked how many sharp edges were on it. Every leading edge could slice paper. The slide has way too much mass which makes it artificially heavy, IMO.

Couldn't wait to get rid of the thing.
Old January 29, 2013, 11:35 PM   #8
duelist1954

I bought a compact EAA steel framed Whitness about 20 years ago when my 1911 was in the shop and I had to make a business trip to the murder capital of the east coast. It was a surprisingly reliable and accurate pistol. When my son got his CCW I gave it to him
Old January 30, 2013, 01:20 PM   #9
Japle

As long as nothing breaks, they're excellent guns. Just hope nothing breaks, because then you'll have to deal with EAA's "gunsmith" and you really don't want to do that.

Google "EAA" and "customer service". Then pray your gun never breaks.
Old January 30, 2013, 05:59 PM   #10
dcvyn

I did google eaa costumer service its scary. Hopefully I'll never need to use them. Thanks to everybody for the info.
Old January 31, 2013, 08:52 AM   #11
Skans

A word on EAA's customer service. After I purchased my Stock 10mm about 3 years ago, I needed some information about the magazines and wanted to order a few extra. So, I called EAA directly. I got a live person on the phone immediately. They put me through to a guy who was either the gunsmith or was technically knowledgeable about the various magazines. He took the time to answer my questions and I placed an order for 3 factory magazines - at $23/each they were cheaper than any I could find elsewhere on the internet. Very high quality magazines! They were delivered to my house within 48 hours of placing my order and paying for them (EAA is not that far from where I live).

I've heard some complaints about EAA requiring that the owner pay shipping with regard to repairs. Colt does the same thing. In my opinion, this is a stupid complaint. I've read one account of a frame cracking (from someone here who applied hard chrome to the frame) and EAA refusing to service it under warranty. I can't blame EAA for that. The Owner should have checked first to see if hard chroming the frame would void the warranty. I have read a couple of accounts about slides cracking and EAA refusing to replace them due to hot 10mm being used. The owner(s) denied this. These could be legitimate complaints. I think the slide-cracking issue involved the older more rounded slides.

What I'd suggest is that if you are concerned about EAA's customer service is that you call them BEFORE purchasing a Tanfoglio pistol, talk to them and judge for yourself.

The biggest disappointment that I have with EAA/Tanfoglio is that I didn't purchase one of their higher end Witness guns in 9mm and .45 when they were ridiculously cheap.
Old January 31, 2013, 09:28 AM   #12
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
I've read one account of a frame cracking (from someone here who applied hard chrome to the frame) and EAA refusing to service it under warranty.
You haven't been burned, so see no reason to be concerned about the fire hazards... OK.

The gun in question, cited above, was one that had a badly discolored Wonder Finish. I've talked with several guys who had a similar problem with the finish, and EAA told them to pound sand. That apparently was the case with the gun, cited above. What would YOU have done in such a case? Just keep using a gun that looked like it had chicken pox (and the ones I've seen in silver that had problems looked like that), or have it refinished?

As you say, they were within their rights to refuse warranty coverage on a refinished gun, but can you explain how refinishing changes the structural integrity of the gun? I'd say their response was a cop-out; they could have offered a discount on a new frame and kept the customer at least half-way satisfied.

Re: Wonder Finish. I've noticed that thec urrent Owner's Manual says you must keep the Wonder Finish guns oiled and lubricated just like you would regular steel guns. I don't remember seeing that statement in a prominent position in their older manuals, and that may explain why the guns became discolored: rust.

I had a Sport Long Slide (.45) in silver with the Wonder Finish, but never had problems with the finish. I've had 5-6 other Witness guns over the years, and had good service out of all of them.

I did have a barrel destroy itself shooting factory loads with the Sport Long Slide, but since I bought used I didn't ask EAA for support -- just bought a new barrel. The Super Sight on that gun also fell apart and couldn't be fixed, and the replacement cost me over $100 -- and there really were no after-market options available.

I've NOT blamed EAA for any of this -- as buying a used gun is always risky.

Some gun makers pay for shipping one way for warranty problems; some pay for it both ways. EAA expects you to pay for it both ways, but gives you a break on the return trip: it only costs $20. Most gun makers, including Hi-Point returns warranty work guns free of charge.

You've taken on a big task -- trying to make EAA's customer service practices seem reasonable. Hope you're well rested and up to the task.
Old January 31, 2013, 10:35 AM   #13
Skans

Quote:
You've taken on a big task -- trying to make EAA's customer service practices seem reasonable. Hope you're well rested and up to the task.
I don't work for EAA, own stock in them or am in any way affiliated with EAA. Just reporting my experience with my gun and my limited, but direct, interaction with them. FWIW, when I had to send a Colt Python to Colt for service, I had to pay shipping both ways.

Personally, I buy guns, not warranties or customer service. I assume that none of my guns have any warranties with them when I buy them. It's usually the companies that make cheap guns that offer some of the best warranties. However, if a gun suffers a catastrophic failure through no fault of my own (like my Taurus PT-99) I will report it. I think its perfectly fine for people to report their gun breakages. What I don't like is other people who have not experienced any problem just regurgitating what they've read somewhere to claim a gun (or any product) is inferior.
Old January 31, 2013, 11:06 AM   #14
Walt Sherrill

Re: Colt Python.

Did you buy it new? You said you sent it in for service. You didn't say warranty work. I was citing WARRANTY-related shipping charges.

I wouldn't expect Colt to pay for something that wasn't warranty related, and also wouldn't expect them to pay for done work on a used gun -- although most gun makers seem to be flexible on that point.
Old January 31, 2013, 11:39 AM   #15
Skans

No. It was to have it refinished and to have the timing adjusted. It was a '57 Python - I'm not the original owner!

Most decent guns only have a 1 year warranty. I know Hi-Point and Taurus have lifetime warranties, but I don't think much of their guns either. And, with Taurus, they were going to charge me shipping both ways when my locking block shattered (1989 for point of reference). I just had my gunsmith install it, although he had to send 2 of them back to Taurus because they were so far out of spec and he didn't want to do that much grinding on that particular part (sorry, got off on a tangent there).

Last edited by Skans; January 31, 2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old February 22, 2013, 04:52 AM   #16

I know YMMV but Eaa Tanfoglio burned me on my elite match in 10mm. Spent a fortune on it, parts, smiths, ammo, never would feed right. EAA can K. M. A.
Old February 23, 2013, 07:03 PM   #17
dcvyn

Well the witness never arrived so I ended up with a remington 1911 .45acp. Im a happy camper right now going to go break it in tomorrow.
Old February 25, 2013, 12:00 AM   #18

Consider yourself lucky. I've owned several over the years. IMHO they are a crap shoot as far as reliability goes. About half the guns i owned needed work to run right. On one pistol my dealer just let me exchage it for a different gun(because nothing we tried would make it run right) Then They told me the new mec-gar mags would improve reliability, WRONG! I'm done with these things. You lucked out. Enjoy your Remmington!
Old February 25, 2013, 08:49 PM   #19
jchurchwell

EEA SS 40

I have a 40 SS that I've had for years. Shoots great & is accurate. I love the gun. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.
Old February 25, 2013, 10:21 PM   #20
Gag_Halfront

My experience

I've had 4 of them. 3 stock models (1 blue, 2 wndr) in .45 and 10mm and a 10mm hunter. My front sight fell off the hunter out in the field and I never did find it. Glad it came with a spare.

Wish I'd never sold the blue one. Still have the other 3.

Never had to deal with their customer service because... well... because they just work. I love the witness line.