The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 25, 2006, 01:03 PM   #1
Rachen

LeMat side plate

Hi there Mec, did you make the tool used to open the LeMat side plate, or did you buy the tool?

Also which way does the side plate nut open, turn it clockwise or counter-clockwise?
Thanks
Old August 25, 2006, 06:31 PM   #2
mec

I got the approximate right sized screwdriver head from one of those magnetic head sets and took quite a long time filing it into the spanner configuration. did it cold so as not to mess with temper. got it so it fit close and deep and then ran the nut side of the side plate over an open flame just for luck. Luck might have played a big part but it did work. ONly after the nut came unscrewed was I able to move the screw on the right side. It comes out in the usual counter-clock manner. after the first time, you can reassemble with a sensible amount of torque and the problem is done with. It would be helpful if they would do this in the Pietta factory.
Old August 26, 2006, 01:24 PM   #3
Rachen

LeMat barrel

I understand you have the Cavalry model, and mine has a pin type barrel release, once you remove and replace the barrel a few times, you will begin to notice a "creep" on the barrel, which means once the pin or the lever is locked in place, the barrel will still move slightly left or right when touched. The creep is very slight, less than 0.5 mm and I don't think it would interfere with the alignment of the chamber with the barrel, but you can notice it.
Did you experience a similar "phenomenon"?
Thanks

Also, for the side plate, I have two small watch repair screwdrivers that would fit exactly into the side plate nut. I can turn them counterclockwise by moving my right hand up on the right screwdriver and my left one downwards, causing a counterclockwise turn, but I think that would be somoewhat of a hard work.
Old August 26, 2006, 01:53 PM   #4
mec

Not really. The main problem I had with the Pin /lever was that it got loose after a little use and I had to close if over a scrap of paper to keep it from dropping down at every shot. The should also keep the barrel assembly in the same alignment.
Old August 26, 2006, 02:00 PM   #5
Rachen

LeMat barrel

Thanks Mec.

What kind of files did you use to make that screwdriver, and how exactly should I file down this tool?
Old August 26, 2006, 04:57 PM   #6
mec

it was a small set of "needle files" that come in a ball point pen sized case. You usually find them at gunshows cheap. I just used one of the sharp edgedones to start cuts on each side of the blade and used one file and then another type to keep the pronghs sharp as I deepened th notch.