The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 18, 1999, 04:58 PM   #1
swampgator

How much drag should a disconnetor have on the slide? I had a trigger job done on my 1911 and now when the slide returns to battery a round will chamber but slide will not lock up.
I have checked for burrs in the slide and frame rails, no apparent. Without disconnector and sear slides travels without effort.
I have a Videcki adjustable trigger installed, and also had an Ed Brown drop in barrel which spec'd out with a feeler gauge.

Based on your knowledge what is the next step. Should I replace the disconnector.
(I already need to order some parts from Brownells for another project.)

All help greatly appreciated.

------------------
Root Hog or Die Poor
Old November 18, 1999, 05:18 PM   #2
John Lawson

Assemble your pistol without the slide stop in place. See if the slide stop pin will go in when the slide is in battery without pounding or use of force. This is a critical fit and a drop in sometimes needs a bit of attention.
Sounds as though you just need a small amount of stoning on the bottom lugs to let it slip into battery.
Old November 18, 1999, 05:24 PM   #3
swampgator

John,
Thank you for the (FAST) reply, I will stone this evening, and let you know what's happening then.

Again thank you,

Gator

------------------
Root Hog or Die Poor
Old November 19, 1999, 12:13 AM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Gator, I saw and answered your question on Shooters. It's going to be one of three things. Either your cases are too long, there is something in the chamber or the barrel is incorrectly fitted. (Check the length of the barrel hood)George
Old November 19, 1999, 06:01 PM   #5
swampgator

George and John:
Took your advice and checked both barrel hood and lower lugs. Slightly filed the barrel hood, and polished the lower lugs, and it appears to fine. I fired a magazine full of the loads that weren't chambering and all locked up completely.

Again thank you.

Gator

------------------
Root Hog or Die Poor