The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 1, 2012, 07:20 AM   #1
liscomb20

questions for pro 1000 owners

I just bought a lee pro 1000 press and I want everything on hand to mount it before it arrives tomorrow . Im mounting it to a bench with a plywood top. Im putting 2 pieces of 1/2 inch plywood together to make a 1inch thick top. Would this be strong enough for the press or do I need to go up to 3/4 plywood? Then what size bolts do I need to mount the press through 1 in or 1 1/2 in plywood? Just seeing how thick the base is on the press where the bolts go. Also I will take suggestions on something other then plywood. But I think that will work the best. thanks in advace
Old August 1, 2012, 07:38 AM   #2
Dakotared

That will be thick enough. I am just using some screws to hold it down and that has work well. I had to cut a small notch in the top where the ram is to set the press back far enough, I also drilled a hole through the bench so the spend primers could fall through and collected.
Old August 1, 2012, 09:00 AM   #3
oldpapps

I used bolts, not screws. Also put a plastic tube from the primer drop hole into a collector (I use an empty powder bottle).
I have found that proper and repeated lubrication of the Pro 1000 does wonders.
Also, the motion is not a smooth up-down cycle. It is a firm up to a definite stop, hesitate, don't jerk, a smooth down to a definite bottom stop and repeat. Remember the actions being performed at the ends of each of these motions.
Compressed or close to being compressed powder charges don't do well

Enjoy,
OSOK
Old August 1, 2012, 03:15 PM   #4
Lost Sheep

If you want the ultimate in stiffness, sandwich a pair of 2x4s between the plywood sheets. Like an "I" beam, you get more stiffness that way.

I just used a 2x6 and clamped it to my folding workbench (or an end table) and found it plenty stiff enough. A 2x8 would have given a little more room to put my bolts through, so I recommend that. Maybe 24" long or so should be enough.

I don't remember what size bolts I used. Carriage bolts with wing nuts and washers to spread the load across the wood.

Welcome to reloading.

Lost Sheep
Old August 2, 2012, 06:49 PM   #5
LarryFlew

probably more important that screws or bolts make sure your bench is attached to the wall to make it as sturdy as possible. Does no good to make your bench that hefty if it moves around anyway.
Old August 2, 2012, 06:59 PM   #6
oldpapps

Guess I'm in trouble.
I have two presses, including a Pro 1000, mounted on a B&D WorkMate table. It is presently setting in my basement loading room, no windows. Sometimes I'll drag it into the TV room, if the weather is nice, it goes onto the back deck or out under the car port.
I do pull the primer feed and powder unit before I move it all.

Smiles.

OSOK
Old August 4, 2012, 11:17 PM   #7
liscomb20

Well here it is all put together. Its on a craftsman work bench and I installed locking caster wheels on it so I can bring it into the living room and back to its corner when im done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-08-04 18.21.24.jpg (121.8 KB, 35 views)
Old August 5, 2012, 10:32 AM   #8
oldpapps

Not fair 'liscomb20', yours is soo neat!

Looks good

OSOK