The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 15, 2016, 07:07 PM   #1
johnh80233

Garage sale purchase of black powder

Hi, My name is John and I'm new to this site. I live in the Denver, CO area. I never got into black powder shooting. I do have nephews in Idaho that do it all of the time.

I purchased 20, one pound cans of Goex Superfine FFFg Black Rifle Powder at a yard sale. They are in metal 16oz cans . There is what looks like a date stamped on the bottom of the cans 03-07-82 JUO4C.
I also bought a Pacific DL-0366 12GA reloader with about 70 pounds of shot and two boxes of Double A, WAA12-12GA wads. The price was right.

I bought the powder with my nephews in mind. Can any one tell me the best way to ship black powder to Idaho? Thanks in advance for any help. John

Last edited by johnh80233; June 16, 2016 at 01:05 PM.
Old June 15, 2016, 07:42 PM   #2
Pahoo

Not going to be easy but can be done. !!!

Quote:
Goex Superfine FFFg
Not entirely sure what you have but there is more information on the cans that you can share with us. For now, I am going to default to this as "Black-Powder". This has a classification of Class-A explosive as opposed to a black powder substitute that has the classification of a combustible mixture. Right off I can tell you that the USPS will not ship for you. Likely that UPS might but you may have to jump through hoops. I know it's not going to be easy but can be done. Please keep us updated .......

By the way, if indeed it's Black-Powder, It's still and hotter/better than ever. ....

Hang on cause you are going to get a lot of replies, on this post. .....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; June 15, 2016 at 07:52 PM.
Old June 15, 2016, 07:55 PM   #3
Hawg

If it's real black and it sounds like it you will have to pay a hazmat fee to ship it.
Old June 15, 2016, 07:56 PM   #4
AKexpat

Have one of your nephews drive down to Denver, buy you a nice dinner, and then transport it back to Idaho in their vehicle through the gun-friendly states in between. 20# of powder? That should keep them shooting for a long time. I think the trade-off should be about right. If you like your nephews, just give it to them. They will remember you forever. Besides, the road trip through scenic territory should more than offset the fuel money, and if you could put your nephew up for the night at your place, it would be a cheap and welcome visit for both of you. I just had a visit from a cousin who is 13 years younger than me who I had not seen since 1970, and it was a very good visit. I think he was a bit aghast at how old this greybeard looked!

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

Last edited by AKexpat; June 15, 2016 at 08:03 PM.
Old June 15, 2016, 08:19 PM   #5
johnh80233

Superfine Black Rifle Powder
Old June 15, 2016, 08:37 PM   #6
FITASC

Quote:
Have one of your nephews drive down to Denver, buy you a nice dinner, and then transport it back to Idaho in their vehicle through the gun-friendly states in between. 20# of powder? That should keep them shooting for a long time.
Since it is an explosive (as opposed to a flammable solid) that quantity might need something else than being tossed in the trunk for transport across state lines.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 15, 2016, 09:42 PM   #7
44 Dave

In the '60s I had a 16 pound drum delivered to my door by REA Express, cost me less than $1/lb.
Now days $25/lb and another $25 haz. shipping. Think a ride in a Honda Civic size vehicle would be worth it.
Old June 16, 2016, 08:59 AM   #8
drobs

You might give this company a call and see what they recommend. They ship it all the time.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Content.a...Black%20Powder

From their website:
Please note that Black Powder is shipped FedEx ground Adult Signature only, as a hazmat shipment, and cannot be shipped to a P.O Box. You also must use this powder for sporting or cultural purposes and not for resale. On first time powder or ammunition orders we will need to have your birth date and statement that there are not local, state or federal regulations prohibiting you from buying or possessing black powder.

Note I just finished off a metal can Goex FFFg given to me by a friend.
Code on the bottom of the can is:
C3-73
89AP18C

I believe 1989 is the date is was manufactured. Worked just fine.

Label on the front is Goex, Inc. FFFg Superfine Black Rifle Powder.
Old June 16, 2016, 08:59 AM   #9
Boogershooter

FItasc, is correct. You can not transport more than 1# of black powhere across state lines. I'm sure there is a way it can be done cheaply and legally if you are willing to take the time to figure it out.
Old June 16, 2016, 10:08 AM   #10
foolzrushn

johnh80233

Of course shipping companies can transport more than one pound at a time, and get paid for shipping and a separate hazardous material fee as mentioned.

Also, although the can is marked 'rifle powder', fffg grade (particle size) black powder is preferred by many for black powder pistols. I don't know what your cousins shoot, but just so you know.

I really think that you should look at this as an opportunity for yourself as well as your cousins. Cabelas is selling black powder pistols with free shipping until Fathers day, for $200. Get one you like with a steel frame and join the fun. But hurry before the sale ends. Then you could shoot with the cousins.

As drobs noted, you can 'give' it, but not legally 'sell' it. Lucky it was given to you with your purchased shot and wads at the garage sale.

There are also storage requirements for quantities of powder ( I am not familiar with them, and don't know if they vary from state-to-state), so the cousins and you should be aware.

I have only shot the black powder substitutes, which are classed as propellants, not explosives like the powder. Be careful.

One other thing, since you are new here...if you find that you have posted something incorrectly, you can edit your posts if you wish, as long as the edit button appears in the lower right corner of the post....( for 96 hours from when it was originally posted ).

certified 'soap welder'

Last edited by foolzrushn; June 16, 2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old June 16, 2016, 10:30 AM   #11
Pahoo

Just another Black-Powder story

johnh
I truly appreciate your post and would like to share an experience with you. A few years ago, I bought six powder horns from a widow. I could tell by the weight, that some were still loaded with black powder. After a taste and smell sampling, confirmed that it was black-powder. I brought this to her attention and told her That I would take care of their disposition. Turns out that all the horns were filled. ......

Then she mentioned that there was a keg of powder out in the garage. Sure enough, there was a 15LB. keg of DuPont FFG metal canister sitting on the floor. Started to put it in my trunk and then remembered that the wife and I had a distance to travel and although unlikely, worried what might happen if I got in an accident. Phoned a BuckSkinner buddy and told him that even though she just wanted to get it off her property, come and get it and give her a "Donation" for it. .....

All's well that ends well !!!
Be Safe !!!
Old June 17, 2016, 07:02 AM   #12
Captchee

the date and number on the bottom of your can is the manufacture date and lot identification of the case that the cans came out of .

BP can be shipped , its shipped all the time . you have to however pay a hazmat fee and you cannot combined shipping IE if you ship caps or primers , that Hazmat is separate from the powder .
When it comes to crossing state lines with the powder . If there is a ban on that then that would be state laws . Oregon has such a law but I have yet to find anyone who really knows how it works past being one of those laws that they can charge you with if they so feel like it .

I would contact Craig Kirkland at bear river powder in Wyoming . He is the Goex distributor for much of Idaho , Wyoming , Montana , Utah.. Good fella to talk to and he can tell you the actual facts about who will ship and what you need to be concerned about if you decide to drive it yourself . Not to mention exactly what the Laws are .
Not to mention if your nephews do a lot of BP shooting in southern or central Idaho , then chances are good they know Craig or have met him a time or two anyway

Bear River Powder
P.O. Box 2853
Evanston, WY 82931
Phone: 307-679-0886
E-Mail: [email protected]

Last I checked with the ATF and ISP here , there are no regulations or required notifications to transport BP here in Idaho or federal requirements for Utah or Wyoming .If you transport commercially then you need plaqurds and such .. But past that

Our local clubs buy anywhere from 400- 900lbs a year to distribute amongst members and we drive to Wyoming to get it
I also know that a couple of the clubs west and south of us also drive to Navada or New Mexico to buy powder in bulk .
The reason we drive is because we often get bulk powder a lot cheaper if we pick it up vs. having it delivered and if a member is going that way , it’s a win , win for us . Most times we just make a club road trip . we all chip in an exstra 1.00 a lb and a group of us take of on a powder run